1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Buchanon out for season with injury

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Let the jokes begin! :D I'll start.

This is really going to hurt our chances of getting the 1st overall draft pick!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buchanon out for season with injury
    Sanders to start at corner until Faggins returns

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Texans fans will not have cornerback Phillip Buchanon to kick around anymore.

A high ankle sprain the Texans called "severe" has shelved Buchanon for the season. Buchanon, who cost the Texans second- and third-round draft choices in the trade with Oakland, was placed on injured reserve Wednesday.

Lewis Sanders moves into Buchanon's starting job opposite Dunta Robinson until Demarcus Faggins returns from a hamstring injury.

Rookie Chris McKenzie was activated from the practice squad to take Buchanon's spot on the roster. Signed to the practice squad was linebacker Quinn Dorsey.

"The doctors told us it might be five weeks before Phillip could play, and, based on our situation, we need another cornerback now," coach Dom Capers said. "McKenzie knows our schemes, because he's been here since the offseason."

Buchanon began the season as the starter, but his poor play dropped him into the role of nickel corner after he was replaced by Faggins. When Faggins was injured, Buchanon returned to the lineup.

"It's been an up-and-down year for Phillip," Capers said. "He got off to a tough start, but he handled the situation well. When he got another chance to start, he helped us beat Cleveland."

Sanders played for the Browns for five seasons until he signed with the Texans in the offseason. The injury to Faggins allowed him to get more playing time, and he's improved the last two games.

"His stock's rising," Capers said. "He had a neck stinger in camp, and he got off to a slow start, but he's come on lately and done well when he's gotten an opportunity."

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*hhhhiiiiisssssss*
    *bbbbooooooooo*

Never celebrate an injury

bad bad boy!!!! *smack on the wrist*

Rocket River
    . . . if he has mess up our chances at the #1 pick . . I'm gonna. . . .. :D

3. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i'm surprised he didn't break it after i saw the replay. but it really doesn't matter. if he is the best we have to put alongside dunta, do you think the backups are any better?

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

When does his contract end?

I do feel bad for the guy as far as the injury goes...high ankle sprains are painful. But...I heard it best on the radio last night, good organizations aren't afraid to admit they were wrong and cut their losses (they were referring to TO of all people). I think the same can be applied to Buchanon after this season.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Ironic, considering his habit of avoiding chest tackles for sidearm ones so he could shy away from contact. Pansy.

Evan

6. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

excellent!!

7. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Buchanon is a bum. I remember when we traded for him, I was all excited thinking the Texans did well with their trade. I called my buddy out in oakland to talk some smack, and he told me that Buchanon is a dog and that oakland had ripped us off. I was llike whatever. I guess I am the one eating crow now.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

maybe we can drop him for behavior Detrimental to the team

Rocket River

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

YAY! Hell we might win on Sunday now! :eek:

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why is there no emoticon for smug.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Proof that prayer works...

HALLELUJAH

12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Mathis to return punts now.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Word is that it's actually going to be Domanick.

Either way, it's good that Puchanon is done. My guess is that he gets cut this offseason. He is pointless. He can't cover. He can't tackle. He is an overrated returner. He has an attitude problem. Casserly really blew it on this one. Then again, we all thought this was a great deal when it happened. Man, were we fooled.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

In other news, the Texans had to give away 6 more draft choices because of this unfortunate injury.

What a putz.... :p