1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Free Food We Missed] Domino's gives away free pizza by accident

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I didn't see this posted... maybe I missed it, but why were we not vigilant in our cheap food endeavors? Apparently Domino's gave away 11,000 pizzas by accident when a coupon code that wasn't supposed to get out, got out :

http://consumerist.com/5193012/dominos-accidentally-gives-away-11000-pizzas-in-bailout-promotion

-------------------------------------------------

Domino's Accidentally Gives Away 11,000 Pizzas in Bailout Promotion
    By Laura Northrup, 9:54 PM on Tue Mar 31 2009

This morning, Rick Broida posted a great deal from ubiquitous pizza chain Domino's at his Cheapskate blog on CNET. Customers could get a free one-topping pizza (carryout only) by ordering online and using the coupon code "BAILOUT."

The problem: It never was intended to be a real promotion.

The original coupon code was discovered by trial and error by one of Broida's readers. Eventually, individual franchises started canceling the Web orders, blaming the Web coupon's existence on hackers or a "computer glitch."

In all, 11,000 readers and other pizza (such as it is) lovers used the code before Domino's turned it off, and Broida learned the real origin of the promotion:

Spoke to a Domino's rep, who told me the free-pizza code was created internally for a promotion that was never actually green-lit. A customer happened to enter the code (Domino's has been heavily advertising their "bailout" promotion), told the world, and here we are. Apparently the company honored nearly 11,000 of the coupons before pulling the plug.
    I haven't eaten their pizza since the '80s, but I have to hand it to Domino's for at least honoring the orders that went through before they caught the glitch, and for giving blog readers another promotional code (SWEET) good for an order of free Cinna Stix with online orders.

(Here's the blog where the code was posted with updates : http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10207986-58.html)