1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't give up on Carmelo Anthony or Dampier just yet Rockets fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Merla08, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Just read this in the Houston Chronicle. Looks like we're going to give it one last push to make a move for Anthony (just when I was ready to give up on this idea). My guess is if we're able to land Anthony, Dampier's decision on whether to go to Houston or Miami will be much tougher on him. Make it happen Morey! The sooner you do this, the faster season tickets will be sold out :cool:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7209960.html

Free agent center Erick Dampier visited with Rockets coach Rick Adelman on Monday and will work out for a second-consecutive day at Toyota Center while considering the Rockets’ contract offer, a person with knowledge of the process said Monday.

Dampier is also scheduled to visit with the Miami Heat with his choice now expected to come down to the Rockets and Heat.

Dampier was traded by the Dallas to Charlotte in an off-season deal for Tyson Chandler, and the Bobcats released the final, non-guaranteed season of Dampier’s contract in a cost-cutting move last week.

While the Rockets pursue a center to add depth to the position, they also have stepped up their efforts for a more significant move to get Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, according to a person familiar with their efforts.

The Rockets are “involved” in talks with Nuggets representatives about inquiring Anthony, with Anthony indicating that the Rockets would be among teams with whom he would agree to a contract extension.

The Nuggets are seeking a top player, preferably a top young player, draft picks and cap relief.

The Rockets could use the trade exception acquired in the Trevor Ariza trade last week to provide the cap relief, but would not be able to offer the prospects taking at the top of the draft that the New Jersey Nets, considered the favorites to land Anthony, could offer. Any deal with the Rockets would likely have to include Kevin Martin in order to make the money work in a trade between teams over the salary cap.

With Anthony heading into the final season of his contract and unwilling to sign an extension with Denver, the Nuggets had hoped that new vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri could convince Anthony to commit long-term to remain in Denver. Anthony, however, has been steadfast in his preference to move on, offering to instead sign an extension as part of a trade.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

awesome blossom :grin:
    [​IMG]

3. Merla08

Merla08 Member

4. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

with extra awesome, please

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This was already posted in the Melo thread.

6. Merla08

Merla08 Member

That Yahoo Melo thread is about 982739872349823423 pages long. I guarantee 90% of the people on Clutchfans stopped reading that thread after the 2nd week. It's too much of a pain to go through every single one of those pages and posts to find any new material. Besides, that thread is about the Yahoo article, its not an Everything Carmelo thread so shut it.

7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I stopped reading that Melo thread. I kinda gave up on the whole Melo to Houston ordeal.But now IMWT. (insert obligatory pic of Morey here.)

8. MrJason

MrJason Member

On ESPN it says that Nets are the frontrunners with a package of Favors, expiring contracts (Murphy and someone else), and a possible future 1st round pick.

9. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I really don't want to give up Martin. If he's included, I don't want Melo.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's a reason for that. It's so we don't have 982739872349823423 Melo threads and then the exact situation you're complaining about becomes the GARM.

11. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Morey is getting in on this deal even if it doesn't land Melo to Houston. Perhaps a 3 or 4 team deal that moves Jeffries or Taylor for a bag of M&M's.

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Shut it? Why so sensitive? I only said this was already posted there. You can start a thread whenever you want for all i care. But telling me to "shut it" just because i was reminding you that this was already posted, is just juvenile. Wonder why Clutch has that Melo thred as STICKY? Go figure.

13. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

No thanks.

After reading the Q&As with Martin and Lee, I'm excited to see what we can do with this current roster.

14. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

K. Martin + Jefferies + one NY's pick for Melo
    T.E. for Birdman

K.Martin > Favors
    NY's pick = NJ's pick
    Jefferies+T.E. saves more money than Murphy's contract

Yao, Miller, Hill
    Scola, Hayes, Patterson
    Melo, Battier
    Lee, C-Bud, Taylor
    Brooks, Lowry, Smith

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Fixed.

16. Ditty

Ditty Member

O wow the nuggets would really fall for that :rolleyes: they would just laugh at morey's face, and never answer a call from him again

especially with martin's contract

if you subsitute jefferies for hill or patterson and throw in c-bud or taylor and that t.e just for anthony thats more reasonable

17. Blue

Blue Member

I'll take my chances with what we've got...Melo, for all his talent, doesn't even bring what T-Mac brought when we traded for him. Way too much to give up for just "maybe"...we have "maybe" without him.

18. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i hope the nets get him. and he'll make them slightly better (but not good enough to be a team that matters) and beat the knicks everytime they play so the knicks draft position next year is just a little bit better for us to flip picks with.

i actually want that to happen more than what i first wanted when carmelo's demands were made out, which was for us to trade him for junk n picks. i cant cheer for guys who asks ppl on twitter to beat women. theres the getting involved with some skank, wishing to harm said skank, asking ppl to harm her for you, and then doing it on twitter.

also he gets into fights on the court like a little pussi n is one dimensional player.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Having lee become a combo guard, which is essentially what brooks is too short to be (although skill set wise it is what he's closer to), shoould give an idea where morey is looking....

20. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I say pass.... Melo is a great scorer but I think Kevin Martin is by leaps and bounds so far mor efficient that given the same number of shots he would put up similar point totals without stopping the ball. Plus he is a much better outside shooter than Melo, which will compliment Yao and Brooks/Lowry better as well as spreading the floor to give Shane a few more open looks from the corner.

Say what you want about Yao playing 24 mpg or being rusty or whatever. If a guy is 7'6" with the ball in the paint and his name isn't Manute Bol, you gotta double team him. Gimme Scola at the elbow, Brooks and Martin camped out on the wings, and Shane ready in the corner..... I like our chances with that.

1 person likes this.