1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boyhood film by Richard Linklater

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joeson332, Jan 12, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Watched this film (art) for the first time yesterday before the Golden Globes and felt like this needed it's own appreciation thread here. Thismovie set in the Houston, San Marcos, Austin area just brings out so much nostalgia from my childhood (if you're in your early, mid 20's you'll appreciate it even more.) This is most def a film for the whole family, I absoultely LOVE the Astros references in the film from 2005. One scene at an Astros game against the Brewers Ethan hawke is telling his son about Roger Clemens how he is considered one of the all time greats but the Astros dont score enough runs for him. I MEAN COME ON!! Lol how true was that! I could go on and on abouthow great this movie was, won a couple of Golden Globes last night as well. Hopefully any of you reading this can rent it at redbox and would love to hear your feedback if you have seen it.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"Do I look like a Barack Hussein Obama supporter to you, son?"

1 person likes this.
  3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I watched the movie last weekend and really enjoyed it. I can remember hearing about it on NPR quite a bit and not being sure the story would keep my attention for 2+ hours. You're right though, as a 27 year old raised in Houston the movie definitely conjures up some feelings of nostalgia. It doesn't hurt that I have a passion for photography and anything that gets me outdoors either. Great cinematography of Hill Country, Big Bend, Austin, etc.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Exactly, looks like it's gaining some strong momentum headed into the Oscars. Would be really huge for Houston film culture here!!!!!!

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honest question: how does this movie help "Houston film culture"? Although born in Houston, Linklater is a UT alumnus that now lives and works in Austin.

6. bushies

bushies Member

I'm glad Jason Lane was memorialized in that home run scene. My guess is not many baseball fans would remember him - he struggled to make it to the big leagues late in his career - but I definitely remember rooting for him thinking his power would be a welcome addition to the bottom of the order for those mid-2000s teams.

Speaking of our teams from that era, the only autograph I got was from Luke Scott at an away game (in CHI, I think). I didn't have anything to sign, so as he was about to drive away, I shoved my passport in his hands and he signed the last page!

And yes, I agree with the sentiment that Boyhood his a fantastic film. Strikes me as very real to life, and what an interesting documenting of these actor's lives through fictional characters, too.

7. theimpossibles1

Saw this a few days ago. Really uncanny how similar it was to my boyhood.

Trivia from IMDB:

The baseball game that Dad brings Mason and Samantha to was a real Brewers / Astros contest, held on August 18, 2005. The Astros' Jason Lane actually did hit a home run down the left field line (precisely where the camera was pointing) during the only inning, the 2nd, that the crew shot on-field action. However, in the film, Mason reports afterwards that the Astros "won it on Lane's three-run homer," while in reality, it was a solo home run, and the Astros lost when Roger Clemens gave up four runs in the seventh inning.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

He had a comeback as a pitcher last year after playing for the Skeeters for a few years. He pitched well in the two or so appearances he got with the Padres.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Being the same age as Mason really makes this film almost bizarre to watch... Also its amazing that they were able to actually pull off a 12 year long movie.

1 person likes this.
  10. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

mom: I knew this day was coming, I just didn't know you would be so F'n happy to be leaving.
    You know what's next? Huh?? It's my F'n funeral
    Just go and leave my picture

Mason: Aren't you jumpin ahead by like 40 years, or something??

Mom: I just thought there would be more

Best and most intimate part of the movie.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

that scene hit hard

12. StraightG

StraightG Member

Saw it recently and couldn't fight the feeling of nostalgia. As one of the many born and raised Houstonians who went to school in Austin, I loved it.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Yes and also he is the founder of Austin Film Society. Technically the people who are really helping Houston Film Culture is your local art house theaters like Alamo draft house or Sundance theater in downtown. Does this thread already exist in the hang-out, I could be quite mistaken?

14. VanityHalfBlack

The shooting took 12 weeks in a span of 12 years.

15. bushies

bushies Member

That is crazy. That's a 7 year gap between his last playing time and his comeback; that has to be close to a record.

How hard is it to come back as pitcher after being a position player, especially at a relatively advanced age? You weren't kidding, a sub 1 ERA in 10.1 innings. I wonder if that means he can come back next year.

Everyone should check out Sundance. Yes, it's pricier, but I saw Birdman there and loved the theater and the movie.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I know but the fact that no one died or anything is crazy to me for some reason and also that they never lost interest in it

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm terrified to watch this movie. Watching time fly by with my 14 year old son now...and my 10 year old son following fast.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Exactly, time is the main actor in this movie. It's pretty awesine how they were able to do it. Hits you hard in the end.

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Amazing movie. Not so much for the story as for everything else that goes along with it. Pretty incredible actually, especially for those of us who grew up in Texas.

20. theimpossibles1

More IMDB trivia:

Richard Linklater cast his daughter Lorelei Linklater as Samantha because she was always singing and dancing around the house and wanted to be in his movies. At about the third or fourth year of filming, she lost interest and asked for her character to be killed off. Linklater refused, saying it was too violent for what he was planning (Lorelei eventually regained her enthusiasm and continued with the project).