1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billy Wagner rips former Phillies teammates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, May 8, 2006.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I still like Wagner a lot and wish we still had him. Dude has been nails for many years now.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

It is evident that Billy Wagner likes to hear the sound of his own voice. What a bonehead. His team didn't give him enough support in the 8-6 loss to Houston last year :confused: :confused: They scored 6 runs and gave him a lead. It seems to me he couldn't support them.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

billy, have you ever considered you might be part of the problem?

5. msn

msn Member

When multiple situations arise over and over, it is most wise to seek out the common denominator. I have often resolved conflicts by honestly looking for the common denominator and finding out it was myself--then swallowing my crow.

Billy "MeMe" Wagner--judging by *his* playoff record, I didn't miss him in '04, didn't miss him in '05, and I don't miss him now. He has a great story and he's overcome a lot, but that doesn't excuse being a horse's ass and making enemies everywhere he goes.

I wish he and his mouth well--except when he plays the Astros. And except while he's playing for the freaking Mets, for that matter. I still hate the freaking Mets.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the importance of closers is so ambiguous. the save stat is so overrated as proven by lidge this year, but you see with good teams in the playoffs, a good closer can separate good teams from each other.

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Same old Billy - different team.

:rolleyes:

This guy needs to get over himself......

8. Buck Turgidson

Too funny, same ol' Billy. So glad he's not here anymore.

Now that they've had a chance to see Buchholz, wonder what all the peeps who were relentlessly b!tching about the Wagner trade think...

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're too busy b****ing about something else, now.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I, for one, am shocked.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Never liked Billy Wagner. His mouth is bigger than his heart.

12. askball

askball Member

Did he ever have any of these tirades during his tenure with the 'stros. I honestly can't remember. If I remember correctly, I always thought he was well-liked in the Astros locker room.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't remember him going off on his teammates in Houston, but he definately went off on Drayton a couple of times.

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

i know castor mentioned it, but still ****ing funny.

how is scoring 8 runs and giving you a 2 run lead wanting you to fail as a closer?

maybe you shouldn't give up 3 run homers ? :)

15. Buck Turgidson

All balls, no brain.

16. RyanED

RyanED Member

I rememebr when I was young and Dave Smith was the closer. My uncle would take me to the games and we always new the game was over when DAve Smith came out to pitch. The Houston Astros have not had a closer like Dave Smith in a long time. Brad Lidge is going to be better, though. Billy Wagner needs to be quiet and aprecaite how good it is to play for millions of dollars! :eek: :) :D I think Billy Wagner was just a fastball picther, and did not have a slider like Brad Lidge.

17. msn

msn Member

I loved Smitty back in the day, but he wasn't half the dominating presence that Wagner or Lidge are, nor did he have a lot of longevity (of course Lidge doesn't have any yet, either). That's not to say he didn't get it done, he just didn't strike fear like Billy's heat or Lidge's wicked slider.

18. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

When?

Mitch Williams part deux, IMO. Garner's fault.

Confidence shattered, his brain's in tatters, splattered all over ... Manhatten.

[​IMG]

Go 'head, bite the big apple, don't mind the maggots!

19. msn

msn Member

Pshaw. For every Mitch Williams, there is a Mariano Rivera. And for every one of those guys, there are 8 or 10 Isringhausens.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, I remember being at the game where I think he made his first appearance as a closer. (Wasn't he originally supposed to be a starter?) If I remember right, we had a 1 run lead in the bottom of the ninth against SF. He struck out Will Clark, Matt Williams, and Barry Bonds to end the game. :eek: I remember thinking to myself "who the hell is this kid?"

I thought when he slammed Drayton, he was just bitter about being traded. I guess I was wrong.