1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye-Bye Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Apr 11, 2010.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Gone as of 7am this morning.

Have to feel the Astrodome's day is coming.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ydZCjwQRuQk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ydZCjwQRuQk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Hope so, the little that I've read about all the different Astrodome renovation and re-usage plans have been pretty pathetic.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think I only went there one time and that was for the Pink Floyd 1994 Division Bell concert. I've heard a lot of people recalling their fond memories of their experiences at this stadium and a lot of them were for that concert.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

My earliest memory of Texas Stadium was from the tv show Dallas.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Sad for me. It was the only reason people knew my school. Right down the street from the Irving Princess.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never been to Texas Stadium, and I hate the Cowboys, but I have to admit that was kinda sad to watch that considering all the NFL games on CBS I watched back in the day that were televised from there.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Astrodome is next...

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Really don't understand why that hasn't happened; the place is condemned and is costing the city money. And there is just no reason to renovate it for some other use when the complex and surrounding area has enough convention space and hotels. Tear the thing down and build a park in it's place, with a sculpture of the dome to remember it.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope the Astrodome isn't imploded. The place is a revolutionary structure with really nothing else like it and a very important part of Houston history. Its sad that we're just going to crumple it up and toss it on the trash heap of history.

[​IMG]

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hopefully. It may have been cool in the 70's, but in 2010 it's an eyesore. I like JYD's suggestion. A sculpture or some kind of tribute to it in a park would be cool.

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Toronto SkyDome, MetroDome, TokoyoDome, Tropicana Field, GeorgiaDome, Edward Jones Dome, Louisiana SuperDome, RCA Dome, Ford Field, Syracuse Dome and Chase Field.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What's the Syracuse dome?

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

And how are you going to put ford field instead of silverdome?

14. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Toronto Skydome is not even really a dome. The rest of those are mostly air supported and use fabrics as a roof. I do not agree that there is nothing like it but the Astrodome is the original done on that scale.

15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I've been to the SkyDome. They have a lot of similar traits. Not all domes are the same, that's a given.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Ok, I missed one from re-calling from the top of my head.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It won't be imploded....

(since it sits next to Reliant, imploding it would cause damage to the new stadium... thus they will have to demolish it the old-fashioned way. Piece by piece.)

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

To me what makes a dome impressive is the complex engineering to support a heavy structure. That is why you see a lot domes with fabrics and air supported roofs, obviously more efficient and cheaper. I do not have anything against other domes but the Astrodome is a beast. I am sure there are more like it but I doubt anyone would build a dome like that in the future. The Skydome looks awesome though.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

are you sure about that, there is a building going up in across the the street from the federal courthouse down the street from me where about twenty story building was demolished

edit: imploded

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I do not know about that, they do some risky implosions in downtown areas all around the world.