1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Team philosophy trends...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, Jul 5, 2001.

1. JAG

JAG Member

It's intersting how things in pro sports go in trends...A few years ago, when MJ, Pippen and Rodman were winning rings, the consensud was that you neede three stars to win. The Rockets tried it, but maybe their guys were a little too old..The NFL is the most obvious example, as we see whenever, say, a run oriented tough D team wins, all kinds of teams respond by trying to build along the same lines...
    WIth the Lakers winning now, the trend doesn't apply, as you can't manage your way into a Shaq, so the trend nowadays is in the negative, specifically with regards to the Blazers...Everyone looks at that situation and says " God, no...too much talent, too few touches" ect., and forgets that it's only a year since they were neck and neck with the Lakers...
    With that in mind, I'd like to bring up Rudy's comments at the draft, and apply them to Webber. Rudy went on and on about how remarkable it was to get a shat at a player of this level without suffering through years of losing, and I think that is doubly true re: Webber. He's not a high draft pick with excellent potential, he's excellent potential realized. The NBA, for all the Blazers reactionism, is about stars. When you have a chance to get a star that fits your system, unless there are extreme secondary circumstances to the contrary, you jump at it. Webber is the kind of player teams spend years looking to acquire. He's one of the top players in the league, he's still in his prime, and he fits our system. The only valid arguments I see that appose acquiring him are those of chemistry and of risking ending up with nothing by waiting for him and losing out on others. I don't support these, as I think that you take the risk at the shot of adding a player of Webber's quality, but I can see the point.
    With regards to the other arguments, re: touches, Webber's value, ect...
    i strongly disagree. Nothing has changed in his game since the Rocks said they couldn't wait to get their hands on him, and the touches thing is a reflection of the Blazers. Firts of all, we don't nearly have the depth of estblished stars that the Blazers had to contend with, and secondly it worked for them until they kept adding and adding...Also, re: touches, cap room...Do we think Rudy is a quality coach or not? Do we think that Rockets management knows less than us? Do we suppose that we understand the ball distribution issue more than Steve or Cat, who are lobbying hard for Webber?

In the end, I feel that adding Webber is the kind of move that teams hope and pray for for years, and I don't think we should let something like the recent implosion of the Blazers cloud our vision of the remarkable opportunity we might have here.

------------------