1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  1. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Stats don't tell the whole story on this guy last night. Constantly, the defense got funneled towards him (either on purpose or not-up-to-par perimeter defense) and he came up BIG. A couple more rebounds would've been good, but that 4th quarter block was huge.

Oh, and 12 points? Not a bad debut either. I know most of his points will be a product of Lin and Harden driving and dishing, but as long as he can catch the ball (remember stonehands Dalembert last year?), we could have a reliable low post option. And definitely an elite defender

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Said this in another thread, but he needs to watch the moving picks so he doesn't pick up cheap fouls. He had a very good game. Caught the ball and finished better than I expected.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

His help defense and PNR defense is amazing. I haven't seen any big man cover the PNR as well as he does. I'm Dream could have done it but his talents were better served as a rim protector.

In the old days, Asik would have gotten a max contract on defense alone.

4. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

His defense in the last 6 minutes was elite. Monroe was almost scared to post him up. Asik changes the whole defense when he is in the paint.

6. Sean88888

Sean88888 Member

The league is emphasising on moving screens this year. I've seen a few already that wouldn't have been called last year.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Asik will be considered a "value" signing by the time this season is over. I think it's clear that he's gonna be a double-double 7-footer who plays elite defense. that's worth $8.5 mil a year and then some.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It was the most encouraging thing I saw from him. I watched him last year constantly fumbling the ball. Still can't shoot to save his life, but just holding onto the ball and finishing will be good enough for him to live up to the contract.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Haha, Monroe did try to post him up a few times, once he backed into him, spun around, put up a pump fake, and found he had gotten nowhere. So he passed the ball out.

Asik just doesn't get off the ground easily for the fakes.

The second best stat line for the night after Harden's ... was Asik's 33min and only 2PFs. And Monroe isn't an easy cover. We need Asik to give us 30-35min a night, because it won't be every night that Greg Smith can hold his own in the middle (rookie inconsistencies, plus giving up height).

10. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Personally I don't care how many points he gets, I want to see those offensive rebounds on offense and his usual major presence on defense.

That being said, i hope he does get a few plays a game just to keep his opponent on his toes

11. fv court

fv court Member

those idiots on 610 AM were badmouthing Asik this morning. Said he was 2nd string center at best. Pretty obvious they didn't watch the game last night. The real question is why start and play Marcus Morris at PF when you have Terrence Jones and Montiejunas that didn't even get into the game. I think Rockets biggest weakness this year is.....McHale.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

What about those offensive rebounds on defense?

Morey hasn't been shy about how great of a signing he thought Asik was. Looked great last night.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Stopped reading at "610"

1 person likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

610 has 2nd string rAdio guys at best.

1 person likes this.
  15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Since I'm not a Texans fan I have absolutely zero reason to tune into that horrid station anymore.

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol I wanted to as well, but his Real Question is legitimate. Why in the hell was Jones and Motiejunas on the bench the entire game. That was ridiculous.

17. David Stern

David Stern Member

Was impressed with the fact that he only got 2 PFs last night.

If he can stay on the court by not picking up those cheap fouls, he'll end up being a steal.

18. David Stern

David Stern Member

Also, his first bucket. The under the basket reverse english of the glass layup was a thing of beauty and i didn't expect that from him. Was something I would only expect from a big man with the Dream's skill set.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think the stats were excellent for his debut. If he averaged 12pt, 9reb, and 2 blocks for the season, that would be pretty good.

20. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

at the end of the season, other teams will look back and slap themselves. we got ourselves a seven footer with elite defensive skills, and can catch and finish as well as rebound. can't wait for Asik to get the recognition he deserves, the dude has worked hard for it.