1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Williams is a BEAST

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

Arizona with the exclamation point!

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Kyrie Irving is about to be Scapegoated!

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

welcome to the bandwagon

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He's the new, Kobe Bryant/LeBron James/Amare Stoudemire in terms of the fact he always gets the call. He is overrated.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This from a UA guy?? :confused:

He was on fire.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

kinda takes a little bit of the sting out of last week's Texas loss.

kinda.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

You mean the traveling or the fact that he could not commit a foul if his life depended on it? I want UA to win, but not by poor officiating. First the infamous supposed 5 second call followed by the no call fouls in Texas and now this game against Duke, I'm stunned... If I ever thought the NBA was fixed based on buyrates, I'm convinced college basketball is...

8. what

what Member

What about the foul he wasn't called for in the final seconds of the Memphis Game. I'm a tiger fan and I am not complaining.

Would you give up the opportunity to draft him on the rockets? You'd be all over that. Stop the hate. Give the man some due, he's a beast. Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and now Derrick Williams.

Plus, Derrick handles the ball like Derrick Coleman. Think about that, this dude has Derrick Coleman ball handling ability. He is unreal.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

That will probably be a topic of discussion on a lot of sports shows.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

I'm a fan of good basketball. Would I draft him if I was Houston? Sure, the guy has some talent, so does Kobe, so does LeBron, so do all the other players who rely on the whistle. But if we consistently win because of the whistle, it's a series of hollow wins...

11. Steve_Francis_rules

If you think that last night's game was decided by a couple whistles that went in the favor of one guy on the Arizona team, I don't know what to tell you. The Wildcats flat out handed it to Duke in that second half and a call here or there would not have made a difference (there were actually a few bad calls that went in favor of Duke as well).

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I didn't watch 100 percent of the game so can't comment specifically, but more generally i think a few bad calls here or there absolutely CAN change the complexion of a game, even in hindsight in a blowout. And specifically in college, because they only get 5 fouls.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with your opinion but a couple of calls wouldn't have changed last night. Duke was dead.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i can understand what pizza is saying, however, he gets calls because he is aggressive. He does attack. He does get contact. And more importantly, he isnt a flopper.

bear down

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not much of a college BB guy, but I watched the game in its entirety last night.

This is what happened, in no uncertain terms: in the second half, Arizona took a big fat crap all over Duke and Coach K. It had absolutely nothing to do with any calls going in Williams' favor or not. In fact, there were a couple of instances in which he was very clearly fouled and the whistle was swallowed. During the decisive 19-2 run that pretty much ended the game long before the final whistle, I think Williams scored like 2 or 4 points. My favorite part of the rout was the way they punctuated it every now and then with posterizing dunks. No matter the pedigree, any team on the receiving end of a whipping like that ends up being demoralized.

That was a vicious, delicious beatdown. Thoroughly enjoyable.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

To that extent I can agree, it wasn't a flop off. Oh well, it renewed my faith in NBA refereeing. Completely off topic question here, dinky, do you have any friends who still go to UA? I film for the band and I get to go to any sporting event I want, but I need to find my replacement. If you know anyone who loves Arizona sports and wants to make around $200 to $600 a year for filming and putting together a DVD hit me up.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

damn you autocorrect, how does donkey become dinky?

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Can't see him as a 3 playing in the NBA.. a 4 is better suited for him because of the lack of speed and the lack of ball handling ability. He's a great player, could become a solid role player because of his basketball IQ. That's the one thing that surprised me, he has a high basketball IQ. Could see him being an all-star a couple of times, nothing more though. I don't believe he's the best in this draft nor the best prospect, but he'd fit in well for a lot of teams. I've been able to catch about 5-6 of Arizona's games in the regular season so I'm familiar with his play.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He's actually a really good ball handler. I see him being a bit of a defensive liability at the SF position, but otherwise I don't see any reason why he couldn't play there, although he should fit in a lot more naturally at the 4 as an Amare-type player. His offensive efficiency is unreal - 58% 3 pointers for his career (!), he gets to the line with impunity AND he makes his free throws. And unlike most players, he can create for himself in iso situations. This guy is going to do very well for himself in the NBA.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

When I've seen him play, I don't think he has the ball handling ability to be like a typical SF (a Paul Pierce or a LeBron James, granted those are great players). He reminds me of Amare like you said... the ball-handling ability of a 4 more than a 3. I would agree that his defense is a liability but that he could be better once he comes into the NBA.