1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe or LeBron?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Lebron took it to decisive game 7 and was a blown layup away from putting dirt all over the Celtics season. Now you know how far Kobe went with much better talent than the Cavs on his team.

I have a declaration to make: LeBron James is the best player in the NBA.

Again it's my opinion but I think Kobe is no longer the guy we can rely on to carry the torch. LBJ is the future of this league.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Before the finals I would have said Kobe, but I think Lebron now.

If Lebron was on the Lakers, they probably would have won. If Kobe was on Cavs they dont go game 7 against Celtics.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm still at work, so you beat me to starting this thread. If you look at LeBron's performance against the Celts and compare it to Kobe's, you have to reconsider question. LeBron's game 7 performance of 45 points was just awesome.

I think it's close, but I still give an edge to Kobe. It isn't as if LeBron just plowed through the Celts while Kobe was stymied. Both guys struggled mightily. I haven't seen any team make LeBron look totally helpless like the Celts did the first 4 games.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

No way, Kobe Bryant is much better. Maybe he is not that athletic but damn, at least this guy can shoot

5. sittingDuck

sittingDuck Member

I think Ray Allen finally showed up in the Laker's series. His presence opened up the lanes for Boston. I think that's why all the series before LA went 7 (besides Detroit).

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He didn't look so great in the Finals last year either.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm gonna say it is still Kobe, but Lebron will pass him within the next two years.

LeBron, I think is much more harder to stop, especially when he wants to go to the paint. Could you imagine trying to stop a man who is almost 6,10 and the size of NFL linebacker coming right at you?

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think the torch has been passed. If you swapped LeBron for Kobe on that Lakers team I don't think they lose. What LeBron has done in Cleveland is incredible considering how weak his supporting cast is. Sure, playing in the East helps but I think this NBA Playoffs has confirmed that LeBron now stands alone as the league's best player.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Kobe is a better jump shooter and defender. Kobe's teammates are offensive players.

Lebron is a better passer, driver, and imho, team leader. Lebron's teammates are better defenders.

10. sook

sook Rookie

LOL lebron's jumper is complete wack

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

very true statements. I would add that Kobe is not just a better jump shooter his by far the better offensive player from the three, the pull up, the spin moves, the layups, the freethrows and much more. The only things that Lebron is better than him at is driving to the rack (mostly charging and taking advantage of rules changes) and passing.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I would include pull ups and 3's as part of jump shooting. I would include spin moves and layups in the driving part. And I believe each player is still better in those respects (Kobe w/ pull ups, ft's, and 3's, Lebron w/ spins, moves in the paint, post ups, layups).

I think you're selling Lebron short to say he's better at driving just because of charges and rule changes. They play by the same rules, and Lebron doesn't score all his points on dunks. I think too many people still have this image that Lebron is 1-dimensional on the offense: charge through the lane with his head down and dunk...far from it. At 6'9 he's still one of the fastest guys in the league which is why he's such an athletic freak.

I forgot to mention Lebron is a better rebounder. I know including that stat isn't fair to Kobe, where sg's aren't expected to rb, but Lebron averaging 8 a season is very notable.

13. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Had this argment two days ago and I went with Lebron. His team sucks he has the worst team in the league, took them to the finals last year and a tough game seven against Boston this year. Once Posey came in Kobe had no field goals the last 17 minutes before the half, he had three technical foul shots. Lebron is to damn big and athletic he isn't as smooth as Kobe or polished he is just more of a beast.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Kobe is better, but Lebron is a better teammate...as a result, if Lebron was on this Lakers team, they probably would've won a championship.

15. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

A solid midrange jumpshot and Lebron will leave Kobe in the dust

16. jlwee

jlwee Member

Kobe is still a better player as of now. But Lebron will continue to improve whereas Kobe will start to decline!

17. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Shooting isn't everything.

I would take LeBron easily over Kobe.

18. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Lebron easily. Kobe is overrated

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm surprised noone has mentioned that the 'real' Celtics - the one that the majority of people thought they'd be - only showed up in the Playoffs at the end of the Detroit series.

I don't think LeBron would've performed any better than Kobe if the Cavaliers met the Celtics at the precise time the Lakers did.

Unfortunately for LA and Kobe - the Celtics had 2 and 3/4 rounds to get into the mindset that they need to compete in order to win - not just show up.

It also didn't hurt the Celtics' cause that Rondo had 3 rounds to get any jitters he had out of his system.

This is coming from a person who didn't want the Celtics to win - but you have to give them credit. When they reached their pinnacle - boy they were looking pretty far down at the next closest contender.

Kobe, LeBron - whoever. Celtics would've demolished anyone they played in the Finals this year - they rounded into form at the perfect time.

Luckily, for them.

20. matty101

matty101 Member

The Celtics played twice as well in the Finals then they did in the second round. I don't think anyone could have broken down the Celtic defense in the Finals, it was ridiculously good.

So to answer your question.

Kobe ----> Lebron.

For now, and not for too much longer however.