1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Caron Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 11, 2004.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

After the Shaq trade, the Lakers will be left with a glut of small forwards (Odom, Butler, George, etc.) and without many decent big men. Other than Brian Grant, LA doesn't have any power players, and Kobe may be the best post-up player left on that team.

Could the Rockets make a play for Butler by offering one of our power forwards? Remember, Rudy is the one who signed Mo Taylor to that big contract, and Mo has a good post-up game. Would Jerry Buss be willing to take Mo's contract while giving up Butler? I know we'd either have to wait awhile to trade for Caron unless it's a one-for-one deal, but could something be worked out with the TE? Trading Juwan for Caron might be another possibility, but I don't know how the salaries match up.

Regardless, we may have an opportunity here to pick up a great SF and to clear up our PF situation.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Odom played PF in Miami. And I'm assuming he'll do the same in LA, with Grant playing center. Yes, that's a small lineup, but it's unlikely the Lakers can get equal value if they trade away Butler. I think they'll try it out for at least 1/2 a season before making decisions.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

There's still a shot that Karl Malone will return. I could bet that they would be willing to deal a small forward, but that would most likely be George I'm guessing. The Rockets (Rudy in large part at the time) liked Butler in the draft. Rudy T may like Mo T also, but not sure he'd sacrifice Butler for him.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point .... not to mention we know how much Rudy likes 4's that can play 3, and vice versa.

5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i loved caron butler coming out of uconn and had a great rookie year but this past season he kinda slipped. i dunno if the rockets r lookin at him but butler is mostly a slasher not a shooter that the rockets neeed

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Karl Malone shouldn't really factor into their roster plans since he was injured when they needed him most last year, and it is unlikely his career will last much longer. I think they would stockpile Butler, Odom, and George even if they only need two of them this coming season because of Malone.

7. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Wasn't the problem with the Lakers the fact that Kobe didn't want to share time with another superstar (ala Shaq)? So, what they're doing with this trade is getting very talented players that are not stars (at least for now), but have potential to be. They're basically rebuilding, by stockpiling a bunch of young talent. I'm sure this was the thought process by Cupcheck and upper management, considering they wanted to get the most out of their trade for Shaq, and still wanted to appease an unsigned Bryant.

A nucleus of Kobe, Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Devean George, Kareem Rush, and even Luke Walton gives the Lakers a solid, if not extremely talented core of ball-players. Add an aging but servicable Gary Payton, and possiblly one more go-round from Karla, and they should still be a playoff team in '05. Granted, with that foundation alone, they will not be championship contenders, but it's a decent head start to rebuilding, at the very least. Solid role players being in place, Rudy T would have to find himself a big man, a power forward and a starting point (not the easiest positions to fill). The days of Laker playoff domination are over, and we can all let out a sigh of relief. Nonetheless, this trade could turn out to be a positive move for the Fakers in time.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Wow. The thought that we might be able to unload on Rudy some of the trash he signed for us is so wonderful that I almost regret trading away Rice and Moochie. Imagine what Rudy might have given us for them.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/lakers/notebooks/PE_Sports_Local_lakers_notebook_10.10ae3.html">George is going in for surgery next week:</a>

<b>"Devean George said he'd have surgery to repair ligaments and remove bone spurs in his left ankle next week."

George said that the ankle has been bothering him all season. He thought it would heal over the offseason but it hasn't; so he is opting for surgery. </b>

I doubt Rudy would let go of Butler. Butler is on a rookie contract and has high value.

Unless Karl comes back, I'd bet that Rudy would use Odom at the 4 and Grant at the 5, just as Miami did.

Payton/Kobe/Butler/Odom/Grant.

And, if Karl did come back, they'd probably just rotate everyone, and let Karl play less minutes, so there isn't so much wear and tear on him.

So, I doubt that Rudy would let go of one of his starters, for a high priced backup, even though I'm sure he'd love his offense off the bench. I just don't see it ...

10. roxan1

roxan1 Member

ah just the thought of giving back to rudy makes me giddy:D

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I count 5 SFs on their roster: Odom, Butler, George, Walton, and Fox.

Walton is intriguing imo- I don't think he fits there anymore. His best skill is passing, and particularly post entry passing, but they don't have Shaq in the post anymore.

No one's mentioned Fox in this thread yet...he has one year left, he turns 35 soon. I think his days of being a solid contributor might be done though- he barely played in the playoffs. If we can ever find our backup big man, I might deal Spoon for him though, if only because his contract expires sooner.

12. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Looks like he's a player we can use. I know Bill Walton must be intrigued to see his son play a two-man game with Yao. :)

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

EDDIE GRIFFEN

cheap
    Long
    A RUDY GUY

Rocket River

14. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

MoT's contract doesn't seem too bad this summer. I think we have a shot at moving him somewhere.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I proposed MoT for Battie and McInnes. It solves our back up C problem and gives us a possible starting pg.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yet another cheap shot at Rudy from you. This is at least the third I've seen in the last few days, and I don't check this forum that much. Classy. Why all the disdain for the man?

17. drpepper

drpepper Member

Rudy loved Butler in the Yao draft, but couldn't take him for obvious reasons. I doubt he'll trade him

He could sign Eddie Griifin for the minimum if he needs a decent backup to Grant/Odom.

I can already see that coming.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If Lamar Odom plays PF in the West, he will be eaten alive. No way he can guard a Elton Brand, Garnett, Duncan, or even a Zach Randolph.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think butler and that pick will be dealt. They may like Butler, but having Odom play 4 in the west is suicide. They'll make a play for somebody.

20. feishen

feishen Member

How about Karl Malone.