1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White: the biggest fail of Morey's career?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Nov 14, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seriously, I know there's a lot of Lin/Dragic partizans out there, and there were some trades that backfired (Williams) but I don't think anything compares to using a middle first round draft pick on a guy who would rather sit at home and tweet than even bother to show up.

It also seems like this was way too foreseeable, considering that he had to go through 2 high schools and 2 colleges before he felt he was being reasonably accomodated, that he would repeat this pattern in the NBA.

Homework/Diligence fail.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His talent is so great that it was well worth the risk, imo. In our position, you HAVE to take Royce at 16, imo, for the off chance that he works out his demons, which could still happen, btw.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

too soon

and

wouldn't VSpan be on your list before RickRoyce?

4. SamFisher

Sure taking a 1 in 3 shot w/3 first round picks in the draft is fien, but we're already out one of those guys, and are about to lose a 2nd....Not sure if his upside was that high....or was it?

A second round pick that didn't pan out, and never was able to get back to the NBA, and who was magically turned into a very good player in Luis Scola?

Not even remotely the same as a first round pick who refuses to suit up, not even counting the Scola factor.

5. mirus

mirus Member

picks are always bets.you are betting it with a mid lotto pick and his salary doesnt cover a large part of rockets cap,so i dont see it as a big bet/failure.

Unless he's a top 3 pick but this is not the case.

6. mirus

mirus Member

So if you dont pick white,it'll be likely be Zeller.Here's the thing.What's your evaluation on Zeller's potential?

7. choujie

choujie Member

Hard to repeat this pattern in NBA. He is not that much more talented than other guys in NBA as he was in high school or college. Teams won't take the risk.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

and yet if the rockets continue to practice patience and let him vent, watch the bandwagon jump back on his back after he posts his first double double

9. mirus

mirus Member

mid lotto pick-->mid 1st rounder

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

V-Span?? Morey spun V-Span into Luis Scola, so if anything, that became one of his best moves.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I would agree.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree. Premature.

13. SamFisher

I would agree taht the situation is salvageable if this was 5-6 years ago, but he's tweeting every 5 minutes making the chasm wider...he's going to get the Boyz II Men Appreciation Thread before Thanksgiving.

14. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

Way too soon but if Royce keeps down the path that he is currently on, then yes.

15. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

But just think, we could have had Zeller...

16. bongman

bongman Member

I read a lot of statements that without his disorder, he could have been picked a lot higher than 16. If those were factual statements, then I have to say yes.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

didn't you write off Morris last year? not saying he's blowing it up this year, but he is showing that he has some skills at a minimum.

18. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Not even close

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well Morey's strategy is to take targeted risks.

Some will spectacularly fail, like Royce and TWill, who we traded a 1st rounder for.

But since most mid 1st rounders fail anyways, I don't think it's too bad, especially since Jeremy Lamb helped get us Harden and TJones looks like the real deal. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Signing a mediocre player to a max contract would be worse. That would be crippling.

But if you want to rank his worst moves, this and the TWill one have to be the worst.

Maybe the Ariza signing is worse, but he got out of that one.

20. SamFisher

Not that I recall, I didn't really see enough games with him in them last year, though I generally accept the BBS consignment of him to the dustbin of clutchfans and probably assumed that he sucked without saying so.

Don't quite think this is the same situation though.