1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwights best strategy - opt in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htowngenius, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

Sign for all that money, force morey to trade him. He ain't getting 23m elsewhere. Give morey and harden the bird when you sign the trade papers

2. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Do you want Rockets to be forever doomed? send his goofy ass to Dallas and let them deal with him.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I surely hope he doesn't.

Seeing how comical this place became just the same as 3 years ago when Dwight left the Lakers, and knowing the fact that NO TEAMS ever made the playoff since Dwight left.

I really can't wait to see how far this team can fall without him and the meltdown in here.

4. conquistador#11

that's a george castanza move right there. I'd do it.

5. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

Just stating the obv unless I'm missing something. Open market guy is worth under 10m I think. For an extra 13m I would...plus no taxes in tx and I think that would hold true if he's traded out of state...

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Genius....

He'll probably get something like 3 years for 40-50m.

For him to take 1 year for 23m over 3/45m would mean betting big on himself that he'd perform a whole lot better next year + be really sure he won't be injured at all next year.

If his agent is any good he'll take guaranteed money over more years.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is much better than a guy Tristan Thompson who got 18mil.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Dwight is gone for sure, he is at that stage where a major injury could end his career. He'll take any deal that is 15+ per year for 3years.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is he allowed to test the open market before deciding to opt in?

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

If he did opt in, what would be the earliest he could be traded?

11. Rox>Mavs

No, he'd have to opt in before FA starts. Furthering the reason he wouldn't opt in.

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Please nooooooooooo.

Soft Dwight needs to leave here, with his idiot laugh.

13. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Well, Tristan Thompson is much younger and is one of the best offensive rebounder in the league, while Dwight is in decline so not really.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if he does then they should waive him

15. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

That is straight up Costanza.

16. malakas

malakas Member

He can easilly get 80 million by many teams. Much more than that not sure but at least 80 certainly.
    So no. It's the worst strategy for him to opt in.

17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I have been of this mind for a while now. Ideally he would have played himself into a good contract if he opted out. We can clearly see that the national narrative on Dwight, hell even here on these boards is that he is a shell of himself. Why would he pass up 23 million guaranteed for the possibility of a lesser contract.

Hmmm, I'm no genius but let me use this calculator thig-a-ma-jig. 23 divided by 1 is 23. 50 divide by 3 is 16.7... Yeah one of those numbers is bigger.

And you mention betting on himself. Dwight has time to see who the Rockets bring in. ANY coach will be better than JBB, and rest assured any coach coming in will make better use of Dwight even if they don't feature him they will USE him. This year WE did not.

So if Dwight does see a coaching change that may be beneficial and if his agent is doing his job and testing the waters to see what the market is for Dwight... he may see that his best option IS to opt in.

But we shall see.

18. Lightsnowaction

Please opt out Dwight, please.

19. Rox>Mavs

Which number does your calculator say is larger? $50m or $23m?

What guarantee can you give Dwight that he'll earn anything past the one year he'd opt in for? If he was 25 maybe, but at his age I highly doubt he'd pass up more money over more years. How many players you know at that stage in their career given their body and play is on the decline would pass up $50m guaranteed for $23m for a chance at more?

20. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

Factor in he plays in tx really means his 23 is worth far more than most other places. Also no one is giving him 3 years 50 mil. Max I can see is 12 a year.