1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets losing respect around the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Apr 11, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I know ESPN and everything involved with them, some writers on other websites and players have been bashing and mocking the Rockets hard this year. Question is, do you feel the Rockets organisation are losing or have lost respect this year? Some examples:
    - for firing McHale and the statements made afterwards (scapegoating)
    - for using Dwight less and making it clear they want him back only at the right price
    - for Morey's handling of the roster and supposedly not caring about chemistry
    - for players going public with frustrations and turmoil in the locker room

If so, is it just Morey, Leslie, Harden, Howard, the group of guys, a mix or the organisation as a whole? I think Dwight's image is pretty much what it always was, for some maybe worse due to his behaviour this year but I think most will at least feel it's just the situation in Houston. Harden is still too good to get much criticism and lose respect I reckon. Leslie has been blasted, but I think outside a few he will not get much flack.

I do think Morey is and will get the most hate. The group of guys too, but once they improve their play or go elsewhere and we win again, those individuals contribution to this season will be forgotten. Strangely there will be no criticism for McHale nor J.B. Bickerstaff who in my opinion along with the group of guys and Leslie deserve the most criticism. Morey too, for not getting the right players who fit his philosophy, but not as much as he's getting.

The Rockets organisation I think will suffer a bit for missing the play-offs, or a clean sweep, but once we hire a new coach and throw some money at guys who play where Harden and the money's at, I still believe it will not be as bad as it could or should be. Some top guns might not want to join the Rockets, but I don't believe that has much to do with this year's performance. I would understand it though, I wouldn't join this Rockets team knowing there's a philosophy in place and a GM who does not get the right guys to make it prosper. I actually doubt it can prosper personally.

So how do you guys feel about the Rockets respect around the league? If you have some articles or anything to back up your opinion, please share.

2. chandlerbang21

Rockets are the whipping boy of the media especially TNT and ESPN. They go out of their way to discredit the rockets team and players

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You can't lose something you never had. Things are bad this year, but last year we were seen as chumps. People keep calling the Clipper series a clipper collapse and not a Rocket resiliency with their backs against the wall. We are the Houston Rodney Dangerfield's.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

We've never had respect. Even with Hakeem as our star.

5. boiler

boiler Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PEZWYXPvmS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Les and Morey look like amateurs. I doubt many star players will be wanting to join a team that fires a head coach eleven games into a season, and views players as nothing more than assets.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

tipjar bet?

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If their own fan base doesn't respect them, why would the rest of the league?

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Wait, we had respect to lose?

1 person likes this.
  10. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Not sure what it is, but the Rockets were well respected around the league back in 09 and the time around then. We simply don't have likeable players and we don't have a likable system. As effective as it is, watching Harden shoot 15 FT's in a game is not fun for anyone. Watching Dwight miss 15 FT's in a game is not fun. The turnovers, the sloppiness, the lack of effort is not DESERVING of respect. I don't respect this Houston team, why should the national media?

Now last year when we were winning, we weren't getting much love either, but we still had the same problems. This year, everything just caught up with us.

11. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Ask this question about 20 days from now. We will have that respect. Trust and believe.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They deserve to.

13. hakeemthagreat

Daryl Morey, James Harden & Dwight Howard. 3 people that don't have the best reps. Not to mention the ONE GUY everybody liked (who sucked btw), Kevin McHale, was fired after 10 games. So now it looks like a bunch of bad guys ganged up on the good guy and fired him for no reason.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

dunno about the player's mvp

15. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

JB and Brewer made me lose respect

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

This. We were disrespected last year when we made the WCF. What respect do you expect to get as a bubble playoff team with two max-contract players?

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We gained a lot of respect in last year's playoffs and were darkhorse contenders for many journalists prior to this season.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, of course they are as both a team, and an org.

DD

19. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

They never have had respect to begin with.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Does respect get you wins? No, it's the other way around and sometimes not even then. The Bad Boy Pistons won back-to-back championships and still got crapped on. If you're proud of your team then f the haters. But if you're not proud, and I highly doubt anyone is proud of this team, then why worry about hate? Don't be angry at what is deserved.