1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Cruz Makes His Move, Watch Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 24, 2015.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The political experts in the Republican party believe Ted Cruz has positioned himself for a very strong showing in the Republican primary contest when it gets started in earnest early in 2016. Of course some people look at the standings in the polls now and presume that will be the final outcome, but that is generally not how these things work.

Ted Cruz is almost certainly the smartest person in the presidential contest for either party this year, not to mention the smartest in the Republican contest. Are you ready to watch Ted Cruz "make his move" in 2016? If not, you might want to start getting ready.

Here are a few paragraphs selectively chosen from the article linked below. It is actually a good bit longer. See for yourself if you want to know more.

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

For someone so allegedly smart, Ted Cruz has said some of the dumbest things I have heard a senator say this year. Color me unimpressed.

Oh, and I call BS as well.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ted Cruz has positioned himself to capitalize when Carson and Trump falter. So far so good. But what happens when the white hot light shines on him 24/7 will determine if he's viable.

Considering how messed up the national GOP is, Cruz has a shot. At this point, Marco Rubio is the biggest obstacle in his path.

I seriously doubt he wins but his 15 mins of fame are coming up. Get out your popcorn.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And his move will be ... fabulous!

[​IMG]

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It looks like Cruz and Rubio are in the best position for when Trump and Carson fall. I think they both have 2 weaknesses -- both pretty young, and both have hispanic last names. It might not matter, but I think that opens an opportunity for another establishment guy to insert himself. Like Bush, but I don't think he's capable.

Rubio is the more mainstream guy and hasn't tried to crater the country as often as Cruz has. But, I think Cruz is a born politician -- smart, hardworking, very shrewd. I've been saying for a long time that my secret fear is Cruz winning. I think he can beat Rubio. Even if he doesn't, it looks like he'll be an influential man for a long time to come.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I would delight in watching Ted Cruz obliterate Hillary in the debates. Hillary's not anywhere close to Cruz' level of intelligence.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Too bad he uses his intelligence and debate skills to appeal to teahadist and their 18th century values. There is no way to take the high ground with discrimination, bigotry, robber baron economics and guns in the wake of continuous national tragedies.

All Ms. Clinton has to do is stay vaguely positive, inclusive and progressive.
    She's been at this and under fire since Cruz was in high school..

TBar likes this.
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Please share a bigoted comment from Ted Cruz.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cruz, politics aside, feels a lot like Al Gore. Just boring as hell.
    What's going on with Rubio? Is he out?

10. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

fivethirtyeight.com has some of the best political reporting out there, and this article on how the Republican party assigns delegates is an excellent explanation on how this process is skewed towards Republican moderates.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-gops-primary-rules-might-doom-carson-and-cruz/

excerpts:

Cruz won't get the nomination. It'll be Rubio. He's the only moderate in the pack who hasn't shot himself in both feet.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

“Gay marriage” leads to Christianity becoming “hate speech”
    “I have never seen a Hispanic panhandler”
    “Having spent the past month up in D.C., it is really great to be back in America,” according to Real Clear Politics.
    “It’s every bit as true now as it was then,” Cruz said. “We need 100 more like Jesse Helms in the U.S. Senate.”
    “If the citizens of the state of Iowa or the citizens of the state of Texas want to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman … the states have the constitutional authority to do so and the federal government and unelected judges cannot set aside the democratically elected legislature’s reasonable decisions to enact and protect traditional marriage,”
    “I believe that engaging in homosexual conduct is a choice, and I do not believe that unelected judges should force States to adopt gay marriage.”
    “When the mayor of a city chooses twice to march in a parade celebrating gay pride, that’s a statement. It’s not a statement I believe in.”
    To a largely Arab Christian audience in Washington, as they booed him offstage for his vocal support of Israel: “I am saddened to see that some here, not everyone, but some here, are so consumed with hate… If you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you.
    "And if you looks at Islamism, it is a theocratic and political ideology that says they are compelled to use violence and force to murder anyone that doesn’t share their radical faith or to forcibly convert them."

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So far Cruz hasn't obliterated anyone in any of the debates.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My oh my, but Ted is ... should we say "curious"? "interested"? "obsessed"?

Not that there's anything wrong with curiosity, or even a wide stance on certain issues.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cruz proves that a person can be intelligent while also being a dangerous fool.

15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

The way he has set up his campaign he may have enough moment after the SEC Primaries that it easily carries him to the delegate count he needs. He has also been locking up territory delegates because of the new rules of RNC that requires a nominee to have won a majority of delegates in at least 8 states or TERRITORIES.

Cruz is doing his thing, and unlike Carson and Trump knows how to handle the spotlight.

16. bobmarley

You really do hate America and the Bill of Rights don't you?

17. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Uh, wut? Of the various weird conservative knee-jerk reactions one sees so often in here, this one is a head-scratcher. How does your accusation have anything to do with what Dubious posted?

It's like you have a grab bag of conservative cliches loaded up, and once provoked, spit one out regardless of relevance.

18. Buck Turgidson

Ted Kaczynski enrolled in Harvard at age 16.

19. bobmarley

Here let me help you.

"18th century values"

So our Founding Fathers were the teahadists? Really "teahadists"? Is this guy a writer for Salon?

"robber baron economics"

Free market economics and creating an better ladder to economic success are so bad?

"guns"

The 2nd amendment is now demonized even though it is one of the foundational parts of the Bill of Rights.

20. bobmarley

You should really stick to Astros talk.