1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How's that solar energy doing? SunEdison on the verge of bankruptcy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 4, 2016.

1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Oil prices had already tanked before that deal. Iran exporting oil is just a drop in the bucket. Nice try though.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Oil prices matter on the margin of supply. Expectations of future releases from Iran also factor into today's price. Learn about the oil markets and economics in general before you ever step to me again, son.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I really just feel sorry for you at this point.

4. bigtexxx

Just LOL

All you can do is insult since you cannot talk substance.

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh lordy. Now li'l t is busting on Obummer for low oil prices and white knighting alternative energy at the same time. This makes my day.

But I do miss the days when our favorite wingnut was starting threads like-Obama responsible for bringing $5 per gallon gasoline.

1 person likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure why that's a negative. If solar is going to be a source of energy for us long-term, it should succeed on its merits.

Besides that though, US solar is competing with grid electricity which is correlated to the price of natural gas, not oil. Gas has been cheap because of shale fracking of gas reserves inside the United States. It is not a market that has much international interplay. LNG export is not at scale. That's not to say that the gas market is independent of oil, because it isn't, but if the Iran deal never happened, we would still have very cheap gas. In fact, higher prices for oil internationally would mean more domestic production of oil for export, and along with it, more associated gas production that would be mostly trapped in the domestic market to feed the glut and push gas and power prices down. In short, Iranian oil does not impact the US solar market much at all.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You really should keep your dick in your pants more. You've fathered quite a bit of children at this point.

8. bigtexxx

I was correct with the $5 gasoline point. It touched $5.

9. dmoneybangbang

Obummer is an idiot either way? LOL. I love partisans, so very amusing.

10. dmoneybangbang

Why choose them?

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Oil looks cheap but there is a bigger equation accounting for the future environmental impacts we can't begin to calculate yet. The fact is renewables need to grow quickly even if they are subsidized, and oil needs to be more expensive to pare down CO2 levels.

Climate change will wipe $2.5tn off global financial assets: study

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...financial-assets-study-warns?CMP=share_btn_tw

I like the comparison to Rim and Blackberry above, not all innovators in new industries are going to be successful.

#31 Dubious, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

MARCH 1, 2016
    Solar, natural gas, wind make up most 2016 generation additions

Electric generating facilities expect to add more than 26 gigawatts (GW) of utility-scale generating capacity to the power grid during 2016. Most of these additions come from three resources: solar (9.5 GW), natural gas (8.0 GW), and wind (6.8 GW), which together make up 93% of total additions. If actual additions ultimately reflect these plans, 2016 will be the first year in which utility-scale solar additions exceed additions from any other single energy source.

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=25172

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

This is a company that, nine months ago, had a larger market cap than First Solar. It was the largest solar company by market cap.

Now it is just the latest bankruptcy in a dying industry.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

15. Buck Turgidson

I'm happy with it. Rigs are silent.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member