1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Texan Fans, How Do You Feel About the Titans Taking Mariota?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, May 1, 2015.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm pretty happy about it. Will he even beat out Mettenberger?

Yes, this thread may come back to haunt me in 3 years, but I don't think Mariota is a franchise QB at all.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He's the wrong QB for their system, so will they change the system? If so that makes Metzenberg, the experienced starter, superfluous. It creates a distraction with a QB controversy. All that is good.

3. Buck Turgidson

It will make the division more exciting, which is good. Whether it works out or not I have no idea.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hate it. I love Mariota and think he will be a star in a few years.

In before this turns in a yet another dumpster fire.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Luck, Mariota, Bortles, Mallet/Hoyer in our division

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

When everyone expects you to succeed...and then you fail...is far worse than when everyone expects you to fail and then find a way to succeed.

But its going to be a nightmare for the kid having to face us twice a season. Look at Locker...Look at Mettenberger...your fate is sealed. ;)

7. Buck Turgidson

no defense, no defense, good defense, good defense in the division as well.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're taking a shot finding a franchise QB. You can't find one without trying. Taking a shot on a QB like Mariota might not pan out...but what's the alternative at this point? Nearly every team in the league is spinning its wheels trying to find a franchise QB .

If I were a Titans fan, I would be excited about the possibilities.

9. Buck Turgidson

I still look back and think it's so sadly hilariously Houston that in our short existence as a franchise we've had the #1 pick 3 times and in none of those years has there been a consensus franchise guy in the draft.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I've always felt that Mariota is a great college QB, but his game has no place in the NFL.

I could have seen some success with him if the Eagles drafted him, but imo, he doesnt have what it takes to be a very good NFL QB.

He does work hard, so that will help, but he's got a loooong way to go before I'd even worry about him. I think he has a much better chance of failing than being a decent QB.

11. Breaker

Breaker Member

heisman sucks in the nfl

gonna be a bust

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Building up every other part of your team to help cover for QBing deficiencies (which is what i think the Texans are doing, btw). If you're not pushing every chip into the middle of the table on Mariotta, you're much better off (IMO) drafting Williams and building a dominant defense.

Seattle is the road map - Russell Wilson is a very good QB - but his safety net is extensive: elite defense, elite running game, exceptional coaches...

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

Titans fans like Jags fans have hope that if their guy pans out in a few years, then with a few other smart moves they will be perennial playoff contenders for a long time. Whereas the Texans, Rams, Eagles, etc. all have talent to be contenders but are missing the QB to tie it together and play just well enough to not have a shot at drafting a franchise QB.

It would be nice if the college ranks could produce another 1983 crop of QBs.

14. Hey Now!

Oh, I think Clowney was a consensus #1. Based on how the draft played out, who else was even worthy of consideration?

If you meant guarnateed stud... well, there aren't many of those. Andrew Luck and............

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think he'll be good. Not great, but good. Somebody the Texans will wish they had if they continue to struggle to find a QB of their own.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think he means franchise QB.

17. conquistador#11

good luck to those defenses trying to intercept mallet's 200 mph fastball.
    what kind of system will they build around him? if the pick was made with little input from the HC, I can see it ending like fisher vs. Young.

18. Hey Now!

Ah; yeah... it is unfortunate - although I think a lot of people forget how freaking dominant Carr was in college. At the time, I preferred Peppers (much safer pick) - but I was fairly plugged in then and every scout I knew LOVED Carr.

I think that's something a lot of people don't often consider: organizational structure and strength are so important in terms of developing rookies. Word is Carr didn't put in the hours, wasn't football-first - and if that's true, he was probably destined to fail. But the Texans mis-managed him so thoroughly, in so many ways...

19. Buck Turgidson

Talking strictly about QBs, if not a Luck, Stafford, hell, how about a Newton, Ryan or Bradford (who knows how his career turns out in a different situation).

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If I were the Titans, I would have jumped on that Eagles offer...they were giving up quite a bit. The Titans could have filled up all the other holes on their team.