1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Analyzing the Draft Tiers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thanks alot. :)

4. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

Hassan Whiteside as a tier 5 player....hmmmmm

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just for fun, lets use this to create a mock draft.

1. a team will never select a player from a lower tier if a player from a higher tier is still available.

2. teams will rank each tier by team need.

so here's how the draft should go:

1. was
    wall - only player in tier 1
    2. phi
    turner - article says most teams had him at the top of tier 2 so i'll go with him here
    3. njn
    favors - they don't need a center so cousins is out. they could use johnson on the wing but need help inside more.
    4. min
    johnson - cousins and johnson are the only players left in tier two. between the 2 they need help on the wing more.
    5. sac
    cousins - only player left in tier 2, so they have to take him. doesn't hurt that they thought he had an awesome workout for them.
    6. gsw
    aminu - starting tier 3 with only 3 choices (aminu, davis, monroe). they really don't need a big with randolph and beidrins at the 4 and 5. aminu should be ranked the highest for them in this tier.
    7. det
    monroe - tier 3 is down to davis and monroe. article says some teams are shaky on davis in this tier, ill go with monroe.
    8. lac
    hayward - davis is the only one left in tier 3, so the rule is they have to take him, but the article also said that some teams had hayward, henry, and udoh in tier 3. i'm gonna assume that the clipps being in great need of a small forward will bump up a guy like hayward. clippers = fail.
    9. uta
    davis - they might be one of the teams that had udoh and henry in tier 3 with davis. but the jazz have a good draft history (unlike the clips), so i think they take the real tier 3 player.
    10. ind
    henry - new tier with a lot of choices. the pacers need a pg, then a sg. choices at guard are bradley, henry, bledsoe. article says bledsoe barely made the cut for this tier so he's not the first choice. since some teams put henry in a higher tier, ill go with him.
    11. noh
    udoh - they need a center, then wing help. only center in this tier is aldrich, but udoh can play both 4/5. babbitt and george are options on the wing. since center seems to be their first choice, the wings are out. article says some teams have udoh in tier 3. if he is held to a higher ranking i think he will be the pick.
    12. mem
    george - they want a wing player. babbitt and george are the options left in this tier. since babbitt is more of a 3/4 and they dont really have minutes available at the 4, i think george is the pick.
    13. tor
    aldrich - easy pick for them. they need a big and in this tier it's between aldrich and patterson since article says orton is closer to tier 5. they said they want bargnani to play the 4, so aldrich should be the clear choice.
    14. ROCKETS
    what's left in tier 4 is: babbitt, bledsoe, bradley, patterson, and orton. the teams only real need is at center, so im tempted to go with orton. since the article says bledsoe and orton are closer to tier 5, i dont think morey goes for either. the rockets definitely don't need a small forward, so babbitt wouldn't be ranked over the other guys. patterson has been my pick for the team for a long time and going by these rules, i think he's the pick since we don't really need a combo guard more than we need inside help.

patterson!

thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Do we really need ANOTHER undersized PF?

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no. given the choices that were left, i don't believe morey would take a lesser player (orton) just because he's bigger. i don't think we have any need for bledsoe or babbitt. so maybe bradley is the pick? we really don't need a combo guard either. patterson is the best player that most closely fits what we do need.

just my opinion anyway, and i didn't make the tier system lol. given the rules of the tier system who do you think the rockets will pick?

8. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

He's not actually really undersized.

Over 6'9" in shoes, good wingspan and reach.

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Even based on your analysis, the pick is getting traded for Young (based on the Young thread). I would take Young over ANY of these picks, any day! This totally means that the Rockets are gonna have to trade for a back up center for make the splash somewhere unless we can get a higher tier of player.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would love the selection of Patrick, Son of Patters, but think he'll be off the board by 14.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

My guesses as to the level of performance, if they are drafted by the Houston Rockets, the oft-mentioned names in this draft would achieve:

Superstar tier:
    Evan Turner
    Hassan Whiteside?

All-Star:
    Derrick Favors
    Larry Sanders

Good players:
    John Wall
    Wesley Johnson
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Ed Davis
    Greg Monroe
    Eric Bledsoe
    Epke Udoh
    Patrick Patterson
    Daniel Orton

Average players:
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Cole Aldrich
    Luke Babbitt
    Avery Bradley
    Gordon Hayward
    Xavier Henry
    Paul George
    Solomon Alabi
    Jarvis Varnado
    James Anderson

Non-rotation guys
    Hassan Whiteside?

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

one thing that jumped out at me was the likelihood of a trade. the rockets (given the situation i set up) could draft babbitt for the clippers and have the clippers take a guy like davis. babbitt is in the same tier as hayward, so it might be all the same to them plus they would get a little something extra for trading down to 14. maybe even hayward would slip to 14 if they don't pick him at 8.

the rockets could also pick bradley for the pacers. bradley and henry are in the same tier so the pacers might be willing to move down, get equal value but a little something extra for their trouble. the rockets would have the pacers draft aldrich.

i'm not a fan of trading down this year. we have so many assets that trading down or out of the draft just doesn't make sense. it's time to cash in some of these assets into bigger prizes. i really like the chances of moving up.

13. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I WOULD PICK UP BLEDSOE, BECAUSE IF WE ARE TRYING TO GET BOSH TORONTO I BELIEVE WILL ASK FOR AARON. BLEDSOE WILL BE A BETTER AARON BROOKS. THINK ABOUT IT, WE PICK UP BLEDSOE RESIGN LOWRY TRADE BROOKS, HILL, AND ANDERSON MAYBE FOR BOSH.

C-YAO/(SHAQ??)
    F-BOSH/(LANDRY??)
    F-ARIZA/(FA??)
    G-MARTIN/BUDDINGER
    G-BLEDSOE/LOWRY

I DONT KNOW ABOUT YAH BUT I LIKE THIS STARTING 5, THE ROOKIE BLEDSOE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE A STAR WITH THIS LINEUP. WHO WOULD YOU DOUBLE? YAO??BOSH??MARTIN?? THIS IS CRAZY TO THINK OF, THIS TEAM WILL BE SO SICK :grin: AND I CANT WAIT.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i find it hard to believe that you would prefer larry sanders to john wall. the funny thing is, you're not alone with your feelings about whiteside. i think everyone sees the same incredibly high potential for both success and failure!

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes WE DO! Right when we traded Landry!

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I'm putting them tiers based on speculation on their entire careers, not just their rookie seasons. Based on their personalities, I think Wall will have a Derrick Rose like career- an inconsistent star- while Sanders will steadily improve into a consistent, perennial All-Star.

I think Whiteside has a 60% chance of being a superstar and a 40% chance of being a zero. I think it's worth it to take a chance on him, perhaps at as high as the 6th pick. If he booms, he instantly makes us a WCF contender all by himself next season, and sets us up nicely to win it all. If he busts, we can instantly rebuild with all the expirings after next season and let the Wizard start from a clean slate.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

While I'm not sold on Derrick Rose being a Top 7 player in the NBA during any part of his career, what part of his TWO seasons in the NBA led you to believe he's an "inconsistent star"? His numbers either stayed consistent with his rookie numbers or took a bump this past season.

I'm not THAT high on Wall either but speculating that Whiteside might end up being a superstar while Wall ends up only as a good player is almost akin to saying "Yea Derrick Rose will be the #1 pick but, man, that Anthony Randolph has length, a high motor, and he has the tools and potential to be great on offense as well! I bet at the end of both of their careers, Randolph will be a superstar and Rose will just be a good player" two years ago.

Don't take this as me bashing your speculation because everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's just I think you're shortchanging Rose and you're especially shortchanging Wall.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

interesting opinions. only time will tell.

also, probably a bit early to call rose inconsistent. isn't that what rookies and sophomores go through en route to stardom?

as for whiteside, i wouldn't waste the 6th pick on such a high risk player. i'd even be skeptical about drafting him at 14. of course, i put all of my trust in DM to make the right call. if that's who he goes for i will believe in that 60% chance.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

FINALLY, something funny!!! :grin: LOL

20. Chamillionaire

Larry Sanders and Hassan Whiteside. REALLY?