1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a "destination franchise" for a star this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets went after Melo, Bosh and Lowry last summer. They didn't land any of them. They did land Ariza and later Josh Smith, who appear to be quite happy playing for the Rockets. But they aren't really "stars."

The Rockets will probably go after some big name stars this time around, too. Are they any more attractive a destination than they were last season?

On one hand, they did go to the Western Conf. Finals, which I'd think count for something in the mind of a free agent star choosing partners. On the other hand, there really doesn't appear to be any buzz as to guys being interested in joining Houston-- there are more rumors in the media (from ESPN to Woj) about guys interested in the likes of San Antonio, Dallas and even the Lakers than there are about the Rockets.

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

We don't have the salary cap space unless we trade off Ariza if I'm not mistaken.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think they have a decent chance at getting Lowry without gutting the team too much. He would make the team complete.

5. rocketseagles07

I don't think so but I could be wrong. I definitely think we should be. Even though I think D12 is overrated I think guys that don't want to bang (HELLO LMA/LOVE!) should absolutely want to play w/ Dwight. Anybody who watched us play this off-season should see that we're one player away

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I feel like "destination franchises" only matter to "destination FA's", and it has little to do with being elite.

For example, your list included Bosh when in truth he seriously only considered Miami and Houston, Lowry only looked at Toronto and Houston and Lebron of course really only cared about Cleveland. Essentially, what that translates to is fit over (almost) everything else.

The list of actual "destination FA's" is pretty short. Carmelo most definitely topped it with a few role players following along. Does that make a difference in the grand scheme of things?

7. malakas

malakas Member

Definitely. A team with two superstars with assets good management that went to the wcf. Also no taxes. It may happen or not but they definetly are a destination for stars.

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lowry would have signed, had Morey not made Bosh and Melo priorities over him.

9. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

TBH, if we would have offered Lowry a contract instead of chasing Bosh, he would have come here based on rumors. Melo and Bosh were all about the money, Bosh was coming here until the Heat offered him a max deal that we couldn't. You can't base the claim based on last summer. Morey swung for the fences and whiffed, it happens. He was able to adjust on the fly and put a decent team on the floor.

One the Morey always does is go after the star player and if there is a star player available you try to get them. Not every star player wants to play for your team, so what. It's not like Love has hinted that he wants to come here, no one has any conception that we can get him.

LMA hasn't said anything about wanting to play here, no hints or rumors of it. He's from Dallas and his kid lives in San Antonio, hence rumors are that he wants to go to one of those markets. He probably wants to be a spur to be around his kid, that doesn't mean the Rockets are suddenly not a destination franchise. The off season has just begun give it time.

10. rocketseagles07

Very true.

11. baubo

baubo Member

If they've truly offered Llull a contract, then it means they're operating above the cap and not looking for FA. I'm guessing they don't want to risk the chemistry issues that may come from just keeping half their roster on standby to be traded for cap room, so they've given up that route. Makes sense. Lin and Asik looked like they were gone regardless so it was less of a big deal than someone like Ariza who may have been our 2nd most important player last year.

I think they'll look for trades but won't clear all their room for anyone.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Llulz

13. 34to11

34to11 Member

Bingo.
    All of the teams being mentioned (Dal, SA, LA) potentially have max level salary slots open, much like the Rockets did last year.
    If the Rockets want to land a big fish it would likely have to be by trade and that moves them farther from the center of the rumor mill.

I say relax and let DM do his thing. :cool:

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houston will be a destination for a lot of role players. That is a fact.

15. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

You're close. The reason Houston isn't mentioned in the rumors is because they don't want to be. Last year, it was definitely Morey advertising Houston as a "destination" for Lebron, Melo and Bosh. This year, they are taking a different tact considering, like you said, they want to keep the guys they'll have to dump if LMA and Love don't choose Houston. Last year, Lin and Asik were to ably gone. There will be no advertising through the media this go around.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

We gonna return superstars Lin and Asik home this summer

17. micah1j

micah1j Member

There is no indication Morey is going for another big fish FA. Retaining our current FA and signing Llull seems to be the plan.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I would be shocked if Love or LMA wanted to come to Houston. Maybe Love would consider it because he knows McHale, but I really don't see it happening.

I think Dwight being here hurts us more than it helps us. Dwight doesn't seem to be very well liked around the league. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

Unfortunately, I agree. The media has been hating on Houston's style of play, on Dwight Howard being soft and not serious enough to win a championship and on James Harden for shooting too many free throws and flopping too much.

You have to think that will influence free agent's decisions on whether or not to come play with a team.

Look at the ESPN article about LMA's free agency (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ward-lamarcus-aldridge-leave-team-free-agency)

Seriously? I mean, I love Al Horford. I think he would be a great PF for the Rockets next to Howard. But..he is a PF. Aldridge wants to form a strong frontcourt tandem but he doesn't think of coming to play next to a legitimate Center, a great defender and rebounder in Howard? And, he wants to form a strong frontcourt tandem, but he is considering going to play for the Lakers?

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think you guys watch to much espn. Trust me players form their own opinions on players. Nearly every superstar in the game is friends with harden and a lot of them openly said he's the MVP of last season. It would shock me is LMA or love didn't want to come here assuming the money is right. Any player that comes here is automatically the 2nd option on a real contender playing with an MVP candidate and another star in Howard who doesn't demand many touches.

You do the math.