1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFF grades the Texans Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/HST-Off.jpg

Only one Elite player on the roster (guess who)
    Three High Quality players (all on the offense)
    After Hopkins (High Quality), no other receiver is better than below average.
    Brian Hoyer is rated as "poor", he and CJ are the only players that low

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I seem to remember last years looking bad too and we went 9-7.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

[​IMG]

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Playing a last place schedule didnt hurt either. The good thing is that the Falcons, Bucs, Titans, and Jags all have worse roster grades than the Texans according to PFF this year. And they are all on the Texans'schedule. ;)

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm comforted by the simple fact that neither Hoyer or Mallet will perform worse than Fitzpatrick, and even he was, at worst, average.

Grading Hoyer as "poor" is just dumb, IMO.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hoyer has been poor for all but about 4 of the games he's played in. Fitzpatrick, over the course of his career is about middle-of-the-pack. It's not even so much about Hoyer/Mallet sucking or Fitzpatrick being good, QB is just that weak of a position. Hoyer ranks in the lower part of the league of starting QB's, there's no evidence that states otherwise. As of right now, as a starter - he's poor until proven otherwise.

7. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure how anyone could be certain of that at this point. Fitzpatrick was very mediocre - but he was efficient. He had a 95 QB rating and a 17/8 TD/INT ratio. His problem was that he was a low-volume player, simply not being asked to do too much or being able to do much when needed. But we have no idea on Hoyer/Mallett whether they can even be efficient players, let alone higher-volume ones. Fitz was known average, but the new guys could be either very good or outright bad.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Although before B'ob Fitz never put up a qbr above 84

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't see much to argue about when it comes to the rankings.

The Texans are just not very talented and lack depth at a lot of positions, mostly because the Texans have been mediocre overall in the draft and have not exactly handled their cap situation well either.

Luckily we again play a number of mediocre teams and Watt is good for 1-2 wins himself.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Respectfully disagree. I'm grading Hoyer on the Cleveland curve.

His play in the first 10 weeks last season were pretty impressive to me.

Then the OL went to **** and the team gave up, but that's Cleveland for you.

I think people are underestimating what Bill O'Brien can do for him.

He turned Ryan Fitzpatrick into an above-average QB at age 32, despite never having worked with him prior.

O'Brien has several years of working with O'Brien. He's going to come into this system and perform well above his perceived ceiling.

Although I think Mallet will win the job, if Hoyer has to put in any significant time, I wouldn't expect him to put up a rating under 95.

Yall be sleeping on Houston's QBs. :eek:

11. Nook

Nook Member

Do you really believe that Fitzpatrick was "above average"? Do the Texans believe he was above average?.... I think not, or he would still be in Houston.... Hell an above average QB would be quite valuable on the open market, which wasn't the case with Fitzpatrick.

Perhaps O'Brien gets more out of Hoyer than in the past, it is possible certainly. However, he has clear physical limitations throwing the football.

I don't see how anyone can see him other than "poor" as a starter based on his track record, limitations and the other quarterbacks in the league.

I suspect Mallet will get the call and run the club, like you do. Mallet at least has upside, with a very strong arm and from what I can tell, a strong work ethic.

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

no truer words have ever been spoken :grin:

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i assume foster is only at good because of health concerns...?

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Same here. Should be rated higher in my OP.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

16. conquistador#11

eh. these are the same guys that gave foster a negative rating in a game where foster basically won us the game.
    Demarco is the only rb with a higher yards per game. he was elite at his position, running, pass protecting and receiving. foster was basically half the offense.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

top 10 in yards, 5th in yards per attempt and 2nd in yards per game...no way that is only good. I get the handicapping due to health but I don't see that stated anywhere

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Do I believe Fitzpatrick was above average? Yes, I do. Do I believe he will continue to be? Nope. (same as many teams, clearly) Also, the fact that they let Fitzpatrick walk might have (and probably does) have a lot more to do with Mallet/Hoyer's potential than it does with Fitzpatrick.

I don't see how people are looking at a single season in Cleveland friggin' Ohio and calling Hoyer's career a foregone conclusion. I've never seen a ceiling this high for a 30 year old QB. I'm excited to see what he can do with a real offense at his disposal.

LOL. Went maximum derp there. :eek:

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They gave foster a good grade on this though

I can't really disagree with any of their ratings here

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Thanks to the Head Coach who is known for getting the best out of his QB's. Wasn't last season Fitz highest QB ratings? LOL I believe Coach will get the best production out of whoever he decides to start.