1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] As Howard sacrifices minutes for wins, Bryant cripples Lakers’ future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 26, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

3 people like this.
  2. A New Age

A New Age Contributing Member

nice article, good argument. thanks for posting that!

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I missed the game Monday. This is good to hear.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Love it. Well said. Howard deserves appreciation for his team spirit. He's been anything but a prima donna.

Getting some rest now will save him for the playoffs, by the way.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nice article.

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Kobe may not be good for the Lakers future, but he's still their identity, and that matters more than being a contender (at least for now).

7. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Great way of looking at it. Definitely puts an emphasis on Nelly going on ESPN saying nobody wants to play with Kobe. He doesn't share the ball, or the money!

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

Well written, but I wouldn't be calling Bryant "selfish" for getting his money. According to Woj, he signed the first offer he received - $48 million for 2 years. The Lakers bid amongst themselves and 'won'. They hang on to their holy cash cow for 3 more seasons.

The Lakers shot themselves in the foot. Kobe was just the fortunate recipient of Mitch's incompetence.

9. yummyhawtsauce

Good article, maybe Asik might be more motivated and play for the team too, seeing that everyone is getting a chance to play.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

These are the kinds of things that forward-thinking franchises would never say. Since when are championships not the primary goal?

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah overpaying IS their identity

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Kobe is a VERY smart guy. He knows exactly what the salary cap is, and what a $24 mil/year contract does to it. Just because it's technically the "first offer he received" doesn't mean he's helpless. He had every opportunity to talk with the organization over the past few months and map out a plan. His analysis:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ant-does-not-want-pay-cut-help-125531553.html

It's about status. As he said, he wants to get as much as he possibly can. In this case, it cements his glamour status as the league's most expensive player. Is it selfish? Depends on how you define the word and the context. But considering that Kobe publicly and privately called Dwight out and talked about how he could teach him how to win championships... I'd say it's both selfish and hypocritical.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

The $20.5M guy is happy for playing less?
    or the team won because the $20.5M guy played less?

don't see positive in either.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wonder if First Take had anything to say about Kobe's contract.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Financially the Lakers Franchise is good by keeping the Kobe Bryant name and brand but they will live in mediocrity for the next 2 years with many more years to come. That's the reason why more and more Lakers fans hate Kobe now because he is stopping their rebuilding progress to be a championship caliber team.

Many Lakers fans were hoping that Kobe will accept a $15m per year deal so that they can sign another star with the spare millions. That was never going to happen.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Howard's a diva, but a maturing one. I suspect he knows the media is just waiting for any chance to smear him, so he's doing everything he can to fit in. So far, I think he's been awesome, but my expectations were realistic from the beginning about what he would bring to the table.

And isn't 10-5 a nice record for Nov? Sure, it could be better, but on a transitioning team, with a roster in flux, I think we should be quite happy with 10-5.

;)

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

I think they're just paying tribute to the man who won them so many.

19. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

20. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 20.5 million guy is happy that his team won no matter how it happened.