1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Clinton blasts Obama's pathetic foreign policy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 10, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

says his foreign policy is shallow...needs to be deeper than the simplistic message of "don't do stupid stuff"

[​IMG]

Clinton critical of Obama foreign policy, says 'failure' to act in Syria created vacuum for jihad

Hillary Clinton, the front-runner among potential 2016 Democratic presidential candidates, is sharply distancing herself from President Obama's foreign policy, particularly in Syria, as Americans appear to continue losing confidence in his handling of key international affairs.

Clinton, who as secretary of state was Obama’s top diplomat, suggested during an in-depth interview with The Atlantic magazine that the president’s foreign-policy mantra of “don’t do stupid stuff” lacked sufficient depth.

“Great nations need organizing principles,” she said in the roughly 8,000-word interview released Sunday. “And ‘don’t do stupid stuff’ is not an organizing principle.”

The interview comes as Americans’ opinion of how Obama is handling crises in Israel, Ukraine, Syria, Iraq and elsewhere, continues to sink.

A Wall Street Journal-NBC News poll released Tuesday, three days before Obama ordered air strikes and humanitarian airdrops in Syria, showed a record-high disapproval rating. Sixty percent of those polled disapprove of Obama’s foreign policy efforts, compared to 36 percent who approved.

The interview also could help or hurt the former first lady’s effort to burnish her own foreign policy credentials ahead of an official 2016 campaign.

Clinton declined to say whether the deadly, unexpected rise of the militant group Islamic State was the result of Obama several years ago not wanting to help build a moderate opposition to the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria.

However, she said the “failure” to help build up a credible fighting force from among those who started the protests against Assad “left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled.”

Clinton also said in the interview, which appears to have been conducted before U.S. air strikes began Friday in Iraq against Islamic State, that Obama is “incredibly intelligent” and “thoughtful.”

On the conflict in Israel, Clinton was more closely aligned with Obama, saying the United States supports Israel’s right to defend itself against rocket attacks by the terror group Hamas.

But Clinton suggested that international criticism of Israel for its deadly attacks on Hamas in Gaza, particularly one on an apparent United Nations school, is unfair, saying the civilian casualties happen in “the fog of war,” compared to the administration, which called the UN shelter attack "disgraceful."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-policy-says-failure-to-act-in-syria-created/

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Definitely don't just not do stupid stuff.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guess this means Hillary is running for Prez!

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with her. I voted for Barack, and would vote for him again over those he ran against, but one of the things that is a disappointment, in my opinion, has been aspects of his foreign policy. Not everything, of course, but why he kept a hands-off policy towards the mad extremists now running roughshod over Iraq and parts of Syria is a mystery to me. If a situation ever cried out for American intervention, it was ISIS and Iraq. And why the continual declaration of "no boots on the ground?" I'm not saying there should have been "boots on the ground" in Iraq, or that there should be, excepting special forces to direct air strikes and advise the woefully inadequate Iraqi "military," but why say that? Why ever tell your enemies what is off the table? You don't. You keep them guessing. You keep them looking over their shoulders, expecting the worst, and there are a lot of bad, bad things we can do to people like them, and they know it. In my humble opinion, of course.

I'm looking forward to voting for Hillary in 2016.

1 person likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I really do hope Elizabeth Warren runs for president. If my two choices for the next presidential election are Hillary and whatever Republicans muster up I'm not sure I'm even voting.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Just a really grim election coming up for you guys. I hope there's a chance someone else emerges by then. At the moment, all of the options seem 99% similar.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I love the line in that article that said her interview could "help or hurt" her politically.

Dynamite drop-in Monte. That journalism school is really paying off!

[​IMG]

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

for girls, no means no

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So this is where she begins to pretend to be different from Obama so she can't be blamed for his mistakes (real or perceived) while she's running for president.

What a show.

10. g1184

g1184 Member

Looks like we have a Hillary fan

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I know. She had said no multiple times. Plus she needs some more experience in the senate. Maybe in 2020.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

In hindsight, she would have been better than Obama, that's for sure.

Romney would have been better than both.

13. Dubious

Hindsight is just wishful daydreaming, it usually goes the way you biases lead you.
    You can no more say things would be better under Romney than I could say Romney would have us involved in an intractable war with Iran and Russia.

It's worthless self-gratification.

It is a little funny that the thoughtful, reserved course is labeled 'Librul' and the brash reactive course is conservative, isn't it Mr. Orwell?

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know this stuff is hard, and I'm not particularly confident that Clinton or Bush or Roosevelt would have done a better job than Obama has done. Some choices he's made look now to have been big mistakes. Backing Maliki for re-election and not coming to some agreement to keep some soldiers in place look like mistakes in retrospect (save your i-told-you-so's, texxx, because you're still wrong), though I don't know if the alternatives actually would have had better outcomes anyway. Once Bush opened the war, we may have faced only a host of choices between bad options.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed with how things have gone there. Mostly, I'm happy with his foreign policy despite troubles. I see now the wisdom of Clinton quitting when she did, so she can avoid taking criticism for this stuff, and instead throw Obama under the bus to promote herself. It's not a great look though.

15. Dubious

Ms. Clinton is framing her candidacy. She needs deniability from the easy criticism of reality. Candidates always want to talk in ideals and generalities because they don't actually have to work in the real world. Even when you say something specific that seems like a fairly doable thing, say, like closing Gitmo, you run into real world complications i.e. other people, that render your simple plan undoable.

So she is separating herself from the facts as they exist so she can create an identity of an ideals. The Daily Show had a clip on Rand Paul doing the same thing, denying he said specific things when there is videotape of him saying exactly that.

politics.... so dumb... of us to accept it.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I didn't know bigtexxx was such a Hillary fan. The Republicans are truly in trouble.

The more I listen to Hillary the more I dislike her. She just comes across as a cold, calculating snake of a person. She's just all politics, whatever she thinks the public wants to hear.

17. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

Bigtexx for Hillary 2016 Texas coordinator!

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

As opposed to other politicians who do what?

The only person he really ran against was Hillary.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Definitely never don't do anything that isn't not just doing anything stupid.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dubious

Well, you posted that post.