1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

fantasy trade talk-bah-give me focused D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 13, 1999.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

trade talk can be fun, but it really is nothing but pure speculation combined with little impatience.

Let's talk about something we can see game-in, game out. Spare me fantasy talk.

Every team in the league (with the possible exception of Utah) can win more games with sustained focus on individual roles within a team system. That really is the hardest thing to accomplish in this league, but it shouldn't be. Our 15-0 start to 93-94 was about tremendous focus (with a splash of luck at the end of games), and I don't have to remind you of the historical focus that won title 2.

What I see now, is a team in a deadly spiral of losing, dwindling effort, which all can lead to a final death of coming to the stadium to collect checks only. This can easily happen. THIS CAN HAPPEN TO US!! There are no bigs trades in our horizon this year--possible excellent free agents in the summer, but no trades. Besides, trades are not the way to get our heads out of our collective asses....and neither is chucking the whole season in hopes that next year we come to training camp feeling renewed with a new rookie in hand.

So, what can we do? I can think of one: focus on defense. We have the youth/legs. We just plain suck at defense though. That is miserable, and inexcusably. I'm beginning to see a pattern to Rudy's substitutions...and they seem to me to be centered around who's giving the most effort at the defensive end on given days. Don't look for substitution patterns in the stats. I'm seeing them on the defensive end.

We all know Rudy can coach a defense...and I hope everyone can see Hakeem still has plenty of D left in him (except against shaq)
    Every player on this team needs to show up, learn their defensive role, sustain it throughout the game. If that happens, this season can at least produce a defensive personality for this team to build on next year.

plus...it will help our transition game.

besides...every team that won in this league this DECADE...did it with the best defense in the league and the best player in the league...except for the Pistons, who won without the best player, but with arguably the best defense ever!! (certainly the one that finally shut down LA and Boston, and ushured in this era of defense).

Go rockets...play some Defense. I guess indidual stats are too easy to follow, and the only thing fantasy bball fans follow, that's why we rarely talk about D on this board. Here's a test. Can anyone name one defensive scheme Rudy has added this year because of the new rules?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rebuttal :

If Rudy's substitution patterns are based on defense, why start Walt Williams to begin with (other than that contract)? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just can't explain that one.

I can't really comment on his substitution patterns. I live in Dallas and don't have access to satellite, so I haven't been able to watch many games first-hand. However, consider this : if you're starting or substituting based upon who's giving effort on offense or defense, you're waiting until the game to find out who's going to get playing time. Trust me, this won't sit well with players and it means you really can't have a definitive gameplan because you don't know who's going to be getting most of the minutes. Am I wrong?

Of course I know certain substitutions are based upon performance, but I doubt the majority are. With the players we have now, you'd never have any kind of consistency from game-to-game...

As for Hakeem, he can't defend Shaq OR Greg Foster... [​IMG]

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

3. heypartner

walt gets little minutes, that should say enough. rudy simply does not change his starters very often once the season begins. Look at Cassell/Smith.

But really, substitutions are not my point. I was just saying I'm seeing a pattern to how he is choosing units, whether before the game or during.

My main point is Rudy seems to be looking for sustained focus from his players. For his whole coaching career, it seems easier for him to coach defensive focus. That will lead to transition points with this squad, and that's what I think we should devote the rest of the season to....regaining some team focus, and using defensive execution as the rallying point.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 13, 1999).]

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I agree with you almost completely HeyPartner. No matter if you're a rebuilding team or a contender, a good coach like Rudy has got to make it clear that you don't get minutes without defensive intensity.

I do disagree with you on a couple of points. You made mention that you thought we might be able to grab an impact free agent after this year. I'm pretty sure that's ruled out because of the salary cap as has been shown in other posts on the BBS.

Additionally, while I agree that the trades bantered about on the BBS right now are pure speculation, I do feel that Rudy and CD might be looking to make some trades. We have a fair number of no D good shooters who fit the old post up offense, but with Barkley's retirement, should be completely expendible. Moreover, we have a lot of depth at some positions (guard), but have holes at others (small forward).

Overall, this year should be an important year in the rebuilding process in that Rudy should instill defensive intensity in his players and feel out who is going to be a keeper for this philosophy. The team definitely will compete even this year (not for the title of course) if they put in the effort, which I think they will.

------------------

5. heypartner

oakdogg,

thanks for the insight. i'm beyond disbelieving we can engineer moves in the off-season. CD keeps surprising me.

I'll have to look at the team salary. Would like to see $4-6 base available for Maurice Taylor. You have any URLs to show me that cover salary.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I agree with the spirit of this post. It is so fun to root for a team that gives their all on defense. As a fan, just knowing that the team your team is playing against has much more talent, but continues to get denied on the offensive end is the best. I think a lot can be said for spending this entire year focusing on just defense, and running a very simplistic motion set on offense. Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Shandon Anderson (who should start at the 3), and Kelvin Cato may have a few holes in their games offensively, but they all have the potential/ability to be 1st or 2nd team All-NBA Defensive team selections at their respective positions. They arguably all have more potential on the defensive side of the ball than the offensive side. I think that is the part of their game that should be concentrated on the most at this point, and if we're ever going to be contenders, that will be the reason.