1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you include Canaan in a trade for Gogi or Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Dana Barros Jr, but I'd definitely do it. This guy is going to be force in this League...at minimum, as a pure scorer for years So, I don't say this lightly, but our window is now,and his trade value is really moving. I'd much rather trade Bev at this point... I know his defense is great, but Rondo can still play excellent defense and Gogi is no slouch ...by a longshot. Esp. with Dwight backing them up.Seriously, I want Dana to stay, for now, be the sixth man...and take one of those two point guards. But if it comes down to it. Bye Bye....

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Nick Johnson has potential,time to start a Canaan Appreciation thread

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rondo yes.

Gogi will ask for the max and I'm not sure he's worth it.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would rather look for a PF first. No doubt we need a player who can create shots for themselves and others like Goran, but we are really handicapped with Jones' injury despite his limitations. D-Mo has improved but he can't do much against elite 4's.

I like Rondo too, but I am not that keen on him.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

If you have to, then yes. Preference is still to use all our assets on a PF.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

You would need to. The window on Harden-Howard is very short. Go all in these next two years.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Would do it in a heartbeat, biggest no brainer need for this team is PG. If Harden keeps up this pace he'll have nothing left at the end of the season.

8. kemah

kemah Member

Rondo would be a cancer to this locker room and Dragic is not worth a max to play 2nd fiddle to Harden. One max guard is plenty. To get either of these players would mean we are locked down in salary cap with no way to win deep in the playoffs.

Look if some hate Harden then just say so and stop trying to take the ball out of his hands. He is a top 5 ball handler now.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the coaches probably know more about nick johnson's jumpshot than we do at this point. but if he can drain open 3's, the rest of his game (6'3" frame, plus defender, finishing above the rim, good passer) fits in with us better than canaan's anyways.

10. kemah

kemah Member

Or he could be a big bust.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2nd rounders aint called bust, they usually do not pan out

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there is a chance for luther head part 2, yes. he's definitely a high IQ player though, so as long as his shot is legit, it looks like decent odds he'd be serviceable

13. Solaris

Solaris Member

14. raining threes

Yes I would, but I wouldn't want too, but I'm hopeful that the Hawks will except the Bev/NOP pick for Teague offer that's out there.

15. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Everything is possible. He appears to be a high IQ player but time will tell.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somebody may need to start a thread "What exactly did Canaan do?"

You guys are really quick to jump to conclusion. The dude has done well in about 10 NBA games and you know that he is going to be a force in the league? And you people laughed at the Lin fans for basing Linsanity on how good the guy would be.

I am very happy about Canaan's performance so far this season (last season not so much). But let wait a little longer to say whether we shouldn't give him up for some established NBA players.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why do you consider Isaiah Canaan Dana Barros Jr? They both can shoot and are guards. Dana was slight as heck though and Isaiah is very stocky. Getting to the line wasn't a big part of Dana's game, while Isaiah has gotten to the line at every level except for the NBA (crossing my fingers). I don't recall that specifically, but I don't think Dana was much of a defender either.

I would think maybe Troy Daniels would be a better comparison to Dana Barros? Except Troy doesn't have Dana's handles.

1 person likes this.
  18. basketballholic

I agree with Plow. Would rather trade Bev in a deal for Gogi and keep Canaan. Partly because of the contracts though. Bev is coming up on free agency and will likely get around $30-35 million on a 4-year deal. That contract will clog our cap space going into 2016 and that contract will be much more difficult to move at that time with teams wanting to take a shot at 2016 free agency.

Canaan, on the other hand, is basically locked up through 2015-16 with a small cap hold for 2016. His contract fits better with what we want to do....especially if we acquire a point guard that can defend like Rondo or Gogi.....or Rubio. And Canaan's contract will be much easier to move next season than Bev's new 4-year deal if we need to move out salary.

But the bottom line of it all is....it'll probably take Canaan to make a deal go down. Teams typically value offensive excellence over defensive excellence. And I really wonder if Morey values defensive excellence over offensive excellence AT THE POINT GUARD spot, since they are so many offensively lethal point guards and so few defensive counters to all those offensive point guards...who typically represent 1/2 or 1/3 of their team's core.

All the same....I'd trade both guys for Gogi/Rondo/Rubio if we could keep the NOP pick. I'd trade both of them for the great 2-way PG, and then go sign a young, grinding defender like Aaron Craft to be my new Pat Beverley and then possibly go after a replacement for Canaan in the form of Andrew Goudelock or some other player like that. Maybe even bring Akeem Richmond up from RGV as a Canaan ball replacement.

#18 basketballholic, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  19. basketballholic

You have to know talent. Some of us knew last season that he was a better player than Lin. But most did not. They can't see it until they look at a year's worth of boxscores. You have to know talent. If Canaan stays healthy he is going to be a handful for NBA defenses to deal with.

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

It depends, for Gogi? then yes because can shoot the 3. If for Rondo, I would try damn hard to keep him because Rondo can't shoot. Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it though. I can see a Rondo/ Troy Daniels back court being a spark if Harden needs a breather.