1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford Mustang - Chick Car Or Not??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

With apologies to Lynus and any other male members on this BBS that owns a Mustang......

Is it just me but have you ever noticed that the majority of Mustang drivers are women?? At least it seems this way. Why is this?? Also, the majority of Cobra Mustang owners are guys. Once again, this is what it seems like to me. Why would women like to drive Mustangs but not the most souped-up version in the Cobra?

Some other vehicles that seem like "chick cars" include the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, the Chevy Camaro, the Honda Prelude, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse.

I have always wondered this and I would like to know what the proportion of Mustang drivers are male compared to female.

I know it's a bizarre thing to want to know, but I must see like at least 5 Mustangs a day and about 4 of them are driven by a woman.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Manny, It probably just seems like more women drive mustangs than men. Around here I only know 1 girl that drives a mustang while a ton of guys I know drive Mustangs....

Does anyone know what the most popular car is among teenagers? I'd have to say its the Ford Mustang. Especially the 94-98 body.

3. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I have never seen a woman drive :
    Bentley
    Rolls Royce
    Viper
    Lamborghini
    or any other car that would set you back more than $75k. In general, I think I see men driving mustangs more frequently than woman , but it might just be me.

4. red

red Contributing Member

growing up with a chevy camaro makes me bias but i always thought mustangs were for posers...but one of my best friends drove a mustang and he made it real nice...

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

sircharlesfan.. hard to say for sure.. there are a lot of people at my school driving mustangs right now... mostly girlsl it seems

there seems to be quite a few suv's and hondas as well though...

friend of mine has a mitsubusihi.. 3000gt that i think is pretty nice car. ..

as far as mustangs go.. my aunt bought one new in 1999 and got 5 year financing on it.... she now has grandkids etc and wants to get a different type vechicle....

says i can have the car if i finish out the last 2 years of the payments.. not sure if that's a good deal or not..

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

My Mustang rumbles when I push the accelerator peddle.

Chick cars don't rumble.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The obvious answer is most women aren't into car performance like guys. The look of a Mustang appeals to both guys and gals. The Cobra is what a Mustang should be. The base model Mustang is simply a wannabe that's inexpensive. Women drive it because it's fairly inexpensive and looks good. Guys go for the GT's and Cobras. But that's just my opinion...

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember waaaay back in the late-80's I was on S. Shepherd at the Book Stop (is it still there?) when I noticed somebody crankin' their speakers somewhere nearby. I turned my head just to see where the boom was coming from and I almost started crying :

About 5 cars down pulling out of a parking spot in front of Whole Foods were two blonde girls (I'd say they were in their late teens) in a dark colored (maroon?) Bentley thumpin' their trunks. Unreal. I almost stepped out of my car, got on my knees and bowed to them saying "I'm not worthy".

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hmmm, I tend to know and see way more guys driving 'Stangs than women and I only know one person that drives a Cobra...a chick.

10. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Get it right Manny - :)

Chicks drive Pustangs - V6's

Men Drive Mustangs - V8's - GT, Cobra, Saleen, Roush, Bullitt, Boss, etc.

I drive a 2000 Camaro SS (335hp - 13.86 1/4) and I am seriously considering getting a 2003 Cobra. I have read that they will be supercharged with 390hp and 390ft-lbs of torque. DAMN. :eek:

http://www.svt.ford.com/flash/index.html

http://www.stangnet.com/2003cobramustang/2003cobraoverview.html

http://www.corral.net/articles/2003Cobra

I still can not believe the horsepower numbers. I could put a Vortech (4-5k) and have in the high 400hp's but why not just get a new car? Too bad the F-Body is dead...

#10 Sonny, Mar 21, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2002
  11. Manny Ramirez

Hey - I put a qualifier on there that hardly any chicks drive Cobras or GTs.

Now that I got to thinking about it...I do live in a small town, so it is probably different when you look at a big city like Houston.

But still I would say that a V-6 Mustang is one of the top choices for a girl to have.

12. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Yeah - what's really gross is when you come up on a v-6 mustang and you are waiting to see a cute chick and its a guy. :(

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

LOL

Sad, but true!

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I get that same feeling when pulling up next to a BMW 3-series. All you guys driving 3-series BMW's should just leave the planet. If there's a car that says "I'm spoiled a spoiled girl", it's the BMW 3-series. :)

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Manny, Manny, Manny....well okay....I'm not mad, but only because you're right....in a sense:

I read an article in the Chronicle awhile back about this very subject, and it is a fact that more Mustangs are driven by females. I can't remember the exact numbers, but they were very surprising: it was something like 65-70% of all Mustang sales are to women, and of that 65-70%, like 85% of those have the V6 motor. Of the remaining Mustangs driven by men, something like 95% of those models are the V8 GT's and Cobras.

If any of ya'll happen to remember, the Ford Probe was originally intended to replace the Mustang, but the outcry from the Mustang community was so great that Ford had to do something drastic: take the original American Pony Car and make it appeal to women. The simple truth is that the reason that the Camaro/Firebird is being discontinued is because of its lack of appeal to females, and the reason the Mustang continues to thrive is because of its appeal to females.

Personally, I was/am very sad to see the Camaro/Firebird die. Killing ricers gets old. Farewell, worthy competitor.

Let me take this moment to say "thank you" to any and all women who drive those V6 'Stangs. You saved my favorite car.

-----

Now for all you Slomaro drivers: Yup, 1993 rolled around and GM finally made a Camaro/Firebird that could hang with a Mustang. Don't believe those horsepower specs from Ford...they always rate their stuff conservatively. Even the 390hp rating on that new '03 Cobra is said to be slightly on the conservative side. Either way, you can bring your showroom horsepower out to my neighborhood and we'll see who the poser is. My '93 5.0 GT is fast cause I made it fast. Naturally aspirated, too.

16. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I read an article that only about 3 percent of Viper sales are to women. And that only 5 percent appreciate the car for its looks and performance.

Manny I dont think the small town has anything to do with it. I live in rear wheel drive country in Orlando, and I tell you, almost every time I pull my Camaro up to a Crapstang to run a little, I look over and its a teen girl. Not that those laughable 215 horse V8 Crappers, are even a challenge for an 8 cylinder camaro. Heck the 6 cylinder Camaro pushes 200 horses. (I know, since like 99 the Crapstangs have an upgraded engine) Through a decent exhaust, and a good air filter on a V6 Camaro and you almost have the same horse, as most of your GT's and a much better looking car.

As for Camaro's being a girls car. I dont think so. But Im probably biased. I have noticed though that middle aged women do about drive the camaro as compared to a younger woman who likes the mustang.

As for the prelude, only the newer more Family looking ones.

The Trans am is bolder, more aggresive looking, and way powerful. I almost never see woman driving one. But the firebird Ill see alot of women driving.

But the Eclipse is the holy grail of woman's sports car.

Cant wait till the new RX8 comes out though. I finally got the whole look of it inside and out, and man it looks great. Early projections have it as being an under 30,000 dollar car. Uh Oh Nissan, butter lower the cost of that 350Z real fast.

http://roadandtrack.com/RoadAndTrack/features/bts/0402_bts_mazda_rx-8_p2.html

And for all those Civic lovers. Honda is about to present the US with the Civic SI in 2003. Supposedly in test runs in Germany it pushed 128 mph at over 6500 rpm's. Check out this funky shifter. I dont know what to make of it. Tell me if you think its even workable?

http://roadandtrack.com/RoadAndTrack/first_drives/1201_honda_civic_si.html

#16 Dreamshake, Mar 22, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2002
  17. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I saw an old lady driving a red Bentley in the River Oaks area last year -- first time I'd ever seen a Bentley in person.

18. Manny Ramirez

Thanks for the responses, especially from Lynus and Dreamshake.

I like the Doc's answer, you know the one that the Admins supposedly love as much as they do with Tyra Banks, in that women are not interested in performance.

Yea, it is pretty disgusting to pull up to a V-6 Mustang and expect to see some hottie & instead see some dorky guy.

Another interesting thing is that I hardly ever see any young people drive a Lincoln Town Car or a Cadillac, except for the Escalade and the Catera. I do know this one chick who was pretty good-looking that drove a Town Car, but it was because it was her grandparents' car & they gave it to her. But other than her, I never saw anyone under the age of 60 to drive one of these vehicles.

I would like to know how many more men drive Maximas and V-6 Camrys compared to women. I would say that the Accord is probably even...maybe more women drive it than me, especially if you factor in the Accord Coupe.

I think another chick car is the Toyota Celica.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now you're messing with my holy grail (and this is where I go off-topic...)!

The 350Z is an "under $30k car" and should have more hp, although the higher weight may kill its performance more vs. the RX-8. By the way, rumors have it that the 350Z will come out in a Turbo and GT-R version eventually. Apparently those models will have about 350-400 hp. The RX-8 turbo should also produce around the low-300's for its hp numbers as well. It's about time Japan started bringing over some of its best performance vehicles. Now only if they could bring over the Skyline GT-R in its true form. :D

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

This reminds me of a story:

Three years ago, I was car shopping, and I didn't have a clue as to what kind of car I wanted to buy. My 72 year old father, who LOVES to car shop and LOVES even more to haggle with car salesman, said "why don't you pick me up today, we'll go out to lunch, and then we'll visit a few dealerships and see what they've got". So, I picked him up, we got something to eat, and then we started visiting dealerships.

The first place we stopped was Russell & Smith Ford, on Loop 610 near the Astrodome. We parked and started walking through the lot. We soon found ourselves in the Mustang section of the lot, with what seemed like hundreds of Ford Mustangs in every style and color.

My Dad then says to me..."Son, I know exactly what kind of car you should buy".

"What kind of car is that?", I replied.

He said "you need to buy a Ford Mustang Cobra GT Convertable".

Confused, I looked at him and asked "why should I buy one of those?"

My Dad said "Look at it. It looks cool. It's fast. Girls love it. It's a great car. You should buy one."

I looked at him and said "Dad. I'm 38 years old. If I bought a car like that, I would enjoy it for a year, and then I would start feeling like an old man driving a younger man's car".

My Dad smiled at me and said "I know. That's about the time when I would start borrowing it from you every day!":D

Dads. Ya gotta love 'em!:D:D