1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most lopsided season in history? (Western vs. Eastern Conference)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jet036, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

The only season that I can remember coming close to this season is the 2007-2008 season in which the 8th seed in the Western Conference (Denver) had 50 wins (as opposed to the 49 wins the 8th seed in the Western Conference had this season) and the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference (Atlanta) had 37 wins (as opposed to the 38 wins the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference had this season). That's pretty much the only aspect I can see that suggests the 2007-2008 season was less lopsided than this season. Pretty much every other measurement I can think of just proves this season was even more lopsided than that season.

This season, the Western Conference playoff teams had a combined win total of 436 games (for an average of 54.5 wins per team) as opposed to having a combined 434 wins (54.25 wins per team average) in the 2007-2008 season. The Western Conference teams as a whole had a combined 674 wins (average of 45 wins per team) this season as opposed to having a combined 648 wins (average of 43.2 wins per team) in the 2007-2008 season. The Eastern Conference playoff teams had a combined win total of 375 games (average of 46.875 wins per team) this season as opposed to having a combined win total of 383 games in the 2007-2008 season (47.875 wins per team average). Yes, this season the average per team win total of just the Eastern Conference playoff teams (46.875) was only slightly higher than average per team win total (45) of the ENTIRE Western Conference. For comparison purposes, note that the teams of the entire Eastern Conference had 556 combined wins (37 wins per team average) this season as opposed to 582 combined wins (38.8 wins per team average) in the 2007-2008 season. Also, in the 2007-2008 season the two best teams in the league were in the Eastern Conference; this season, the three best teams in the league are in the Western Conference. And, as I’m sure everyone knows, Phoenix (who finished 9th seed) this season would be tied for 3rd seed if they were in the Eastern Conference. In the 2007-2008 season, 9th seed in the Western Conference finished 4 games behind 3rd seed in the Eastern Conference.

Can anyone think of a more lopsided season than this one? Lebron, Wade, and Carmello are all free agents after this season so we might see an even more lopsided season next year (granted those three leave the east). Would be very interesting if, next season, the teams of the entire Western Conference averaged more wins than did the PLAYOFF teams of the Eastern Conference.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

3. Jet036

Jet036 Member

No I just proved this season was more lopsided than the heavily lopsided 2007-2008 season. How is that proving this was the most lopsided season ever? Strong understanding.

And that thread you linked me to is crappy as hell. You're seriously comparing that OP to this one?

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think the West is like 300-200 vs the East this year...someone has the stats somewhere online.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dating back to 99 the western conference has had 7 teams with 44 wins or less make the postseason. Over that same period the east has had 47 :eek:, and 11 sub .500 teams.

Over that time the west has had two 48 win teams miss the playoffs. The east was so bad one year a 42 win team actually had home court advantage.

I'm sick of these eastern conference apologists saying it's cyclical, its been 15 years now, with no signs of changing. They need to eliminate conferences altogether so the east will have to get it's s**t together and earn playoff berths.

1 person likes this.
  6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It won't get better anytime soon. Who are the up-and-coming teams in the East? The Pacers looked like it for the first half of the season, but who knows if they're really ready to take that next step. The Heat are on their last legs. The Nets are old and have a very small window at best. Chicago could be dominant if Rose can come back and they add a quality free agent(Melo?). Toronto's gotta worry about keeping Lowry. The Wizards and Bobcats are ok, but not contenders. The Hawks are a bad team that snuck into the playoffs. And everyone else sucks.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

And let's not forget, even if this draft class is as good as it seems, and everybody pans out like they're projected too (which is extremely rare, I guarantee at least one guy in the top 5 won't be a superstar) at least one western team will probably get one of them AND the East is full of incompetent FOs.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Maybe. 2003-2004 was also terrible. It really is getting absurd.

9. conquistador#11

it's been like this for a decade plus. it's no longer 'small sample size'

10. across110thstreet

Hence answering your own question.

Yes, yes it is the most lopsided season ever.

Neither are that special. They are the same thread.

It's the same concept of the disparity between cconferences that keeps getting rehashed every season.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem is that the West just has more decent FOs than the East, so more time passes the disparity between the two is gonna get bigger. Teams like the Cavs, Knicks and Bobcats have made bad decisions again and again, so the talent always seems to find its way West.

12. torocan

torocan Member

Personally, I think it would be more likely to change if Eastern teams were penalized more for fielding sub-par teams (IE, NOT making the play offs).

Minnesota is a .500 team and is facing the loss of Kevin Love. In the East he'd be in the play offs... do you really think he'd be as likely to leave? And that the jobs of the FO would be more secure if they were in the East?

Raise the bar of competition in the East, and more teams will either be forced to build better organizations or face declining seats and a sale to more serious owners.

13. Jet036

Jet036 Member

How stupid are you? This season being more lopsided than ONE other season (albeit a very lopsided season) /=/ this being the most lopsided season EVER. It means this season has most likely been the most lopsided season ever but it, alone, does not prove it. This is the second time I've had to explain that to you. And the second time you responded, you responded with the exact same answer that you responded with in your previous post (almost verbatim) as if it didn't even register in your head that I gave a rebuttal to your original post. The mental capacity of some people...

14. across110thstreet

lol.

um, ok. so...

most lopsided season ever?

who is carmello

15. Swag

Swag Member

noob question but... if a team from the east like the bucks were to move to seattle.. can houston be moved to the eastern conference? lol

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Would hear some grumblings from Memphis if that happened.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Placing Memphis, New Orleans or the Wolves in the Eastern conference would make much more sense.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It is cyclical. Bad owners have to sell. Or die. That takes longer than 15 years.

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Does anyone know what the exact East vs West record ended up being this year? I've tried multiple times to find that stat throughout the season but have been unsuccessful.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Damn it. There was a blog that tracked this weekly and I thought I bookmarked it. I'll just do some quick math for you: West 284 wins and 166 losses vs the East this year. It's been bad for like 12 of the last 15 years, but this year has probably been the worst.