1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some advice about college/future career choice.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Mar 29, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I have some question(s). At this point in life, I am at a crossroads. Basically I am really looking for serious replies here. To all Clutchfans who have Bachelor's degrees and above, or are "successful" in some way (yes I do acknowledge that the definition of "success" is relative):

1) What motivated you/what assisted you in the process to get it done?
    Where did you get the perseverance?

2) What was the most difficult part of the process?

Basically, I am one of those students that kicks serious ass when I am zoned in, but recently I sort of lack the motivation. I have a mere 24 credit hours, and I am still undecided exactly what area I want to go in. I was thinking either something in the medical field or in meteorology (which there is not a lot of pay) but I have a really profound interest in atmospheric science.

My original dream in life was to attend the University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology, which is the best meteorology program in the nation. The only issue is a crap load of math, and the salary of a graduate is nothing to write home about (in relation to the cost of getting the degree).

Furthermore, I still have interest in the medical field. However, it is VERY competitive and my dumb ass made some poor academic choices in the past that really put a damper on my record, and I don't know if that is even a possibility at this point (in regards to getting accepted into such a program.)
    Is it possible to make it into a program with a not so hot GPA? I'm thinking I would need some serious ass kissing, volunteering, a hell of an essay, and other extracurricular activities. I do have over 200+ service hours at a hospital, if that means anything.

I am considering buckling down, pushing everything else to the side, and focusing on schooling. Any advice is appreciated. My current job is not getting it done.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

First, it is good and right that you are asking yourself and others these questions. Many folks your age lack the maturity and foresight to do so.

I suggest beginning by asking yourself big picture questions. What do you hope your life will look like when you are 30, 35, 40. How important is marriage, having kids, love of the job, money, financial security, prestige, etc. what is the importance of these things relative to each other. if you are honest with yourself, the answer reveals itself. And you will change between now and 27, 30 and years beyond. Reexamine these questions periodically and know yourself to know how likely your priorities might shift.

I will give you my example. I knew I wanted to have a wife and family, prioritized being able to develop financial security (typical immigrant mentality), wanted a job that was at least tolerable, didn't care as much about prestige as the other issues. I also knew those priorities were unlikely to change as I progressed out of college. Problem- I wasn't a hard working student in high school and did just fine on natural ability.

Studied just enough in college to have a Management consulting job offer coming out. Was meh about it, but financial security was promising and I had student loans to pay. Wandered into a Business Law course and loved it, wound up taking LSAT and getting into UT Law.

Haw my own crossroads -- do what I really wanted and bury myself into more loan debt in the hyper competitive arena that is UT Law and take a chance on the high earning potential of law, or take the bird in hand and the safer route. I went for the home run and went to Law school, but with a commitment that I would actually max out my effort. I figured it was time to find out what I could do.

Don't want to turn this into a humble brag, but 20 years later, it's clear it was the right choice. Proved to myself I could perform academically at a high level, worked at a high level in my profession, suffered through the young professional grind, but have checked off on all my priorities, probably much more so than if I had taken the safer route. Not to say it was easy or perfect, because it sure wasn't, but in retrospect, the decision making was sound BC I knew my priorities and made a bet on my ability.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You need to ditch your aversion to math. That, computer science and physics and chemistry will give you a knowledge and skill base that will give you enough professional flexibility to offset your career indecisiveness, which is your biggest impediment. And you need to start viewing studying and homework as recreation and an opportunity for something bigger, to the point that you want to spend every single free minute doing it before you're too old, broke or unfocused to.

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I think people who are on the same boat as you can answer this question.

1.) What motivates me to do it?

Just like what Riley stated above, think about your future.

Do you want to be stuck on the same boat you are in now.

Since you started this thread, I'm pretty sure you're answer is a resounding "no."

I have goals that I wanted to achieve both long term and short term.

But in order for me to achieve them, I need to focus on the starting point or else I'll have a tough time achieving my goals.

Maybe the same can be said to you?

Do you have a goal that you want to achieve?

Does going to college and working hard going to help you achieve them?

2.) What is the most difficult part of the process?

So far the most difficult part of the process is procrastinating.

After three semesters of college, I'm reaching that point where you don't feel like doing anything.

I usually ask myself what's wrong with me?

But thankfully my motivation has not wavered.

You need to be extremely motivated when you plan on accomplishing a tough goal.

If not, things could go bad real fast.

----------------------------------------

Regarding your career path, only you could answer that question.

There's a lot of questions to be answered.

But believe in yourself and everything will follow.

At the end of the day, enjoy the experiences you'll have.

You never know what could happen next.

Goodluck!

5. SK34

SK34 Member

Just give up. Dropout. Follow the likes of Steve Jobs.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if I'm "successful", but I've worked 5 years as a pharmacist and now I'm back in school for MD/MBA. I'll just comment as you're interested in the medical field.

1) What do you like to do? The key is to find a something that you like and can get a career out of it long term. I'm not talking about art or sports, where only a select few can do it as a career. For myself, I wanted to treat patients for some time, and move to a position where I have an influence over healthcare decisions and policies that affect the lives of many more people. That keeps me going (and money is pretty good as well).

2) What are you working with? We need to know your GPA, your economic status, and maybe just a bit more with your "profile", so we can help you get into a medical related field.

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

There are a lot of interesting and well paying health care jobs besides being an MD. All of the imaging fields, physical and occupational therapy, nuclear medicine, nursing, physicians's assistant, speech pathology, genetics, etc. Some require advanced degrees, some don't even require bachelor's degrees. Pay and job security should be pretty good. See if you can schedule observation days at a hospital for any of those fields that sound interesting.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I won't say I'm successful, but not to be incredibly arrogant-- I don't think many 23 year olds earn my salary, go to the schools I've been to, and are as high up in their corporation(fortune 500 one).

To me successful is defined by my salary, my power, and my achieving my goals.

I think two things will motivate you;

1) Earn a paycheck for a few months, then live without one. You'll see you want the money.

2) Realize what you want in life. If you want a great w/l balance, and enjoy the extra things in life pursue a degree that can make you a good deal of money but give you a w/l balance, and let your hobbies dictate your out-of-work life NOT your actual job itself. My job is to do what I do and get paid, my hobbies are watching basketbal. I thought Sport Management, be a ticket rep and work my way up is the right way to go.

3) I learned that's not the way to go. Put yourself into position to enjoy your life. That's all I can say. Do I hate my job? No way. Do I love it and is this my dream job? No way. Do I enjoy it? Yes. Do I get to do what I really love to do(go to Rockets games and play with my dogs, chill with my friends)? Yes, absolutely.

If you have interest atmospheric science, see what you can do to promote this hobby but search for a job that'll keep you financially happy and let you keep this hobby up. Find that position and find the recommended degree for that, and go that way.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

http://www.weather.gov/careers

You can volunteer with the National Weather Service to see if you like it. Just follow the above link and then go to the Student Employment link. Some other good info in those links as well.

On every big wildfire I work we have an Incident Meteorologist from NWS. They all seem cool, if a little nerdy at times. If you're good, you can make $100k or maybe a little more. Odds are you will have to move around, at least early in your career. If you want to live in a certain place all your life, you'll need some luck to make it work.

10. AXG

AXG Member

Look at it as an investment that will pay off in the long run, and your potential greatly expands whereas most plateau.
    Sacrificing time with the friends and family. Also money can be tight since I'm not working full-time.
    Yes, it's still possible. The suggestions you made are great. Good grades are a big plus but they aren't the end-all, be-all. Plus, you still have lots of time to turn things around if it matters that much. Also, speak to people in the field you want to get in and ask them to be a mentor. Most are willing to help, and you can get connections.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Never fear that bad grades in undergrad are the end of the world. A high GPA gets you through doors quickly, but so does hard work and networking.

The managing director in charge of my division did not finish college. He just worked his ass off once he got in the working world. I've hired two experienced hires with only 1-2 years schooling and they have both done amazingly well in the industry. One left the firm two years ago and is project managing designs post-EMIR commods tech for a Swiss bank, the other now runs our Natgas and Power Accounting in Salt Lake City.

I've hired grads with 4.0 GPAs that completely flame out. Many seem to fail because they were helicopter parented to death and could not bounce back from failure - but some are just book smart and not street smart. You need both.

12. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Just DO stuff. You're young and have that luxury. And then follow through completing it. Stuff you think you want to do, stuff you think you don't want to do. Then find something else and do it too. And make sure to follow through again. What you want in life will become clearer to you and you'll have things to fall back on to keep finding what you want.

The ability to just do stuff and follow through will be the most important skill you have in a career (and maybe life).

13. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP where you at?

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What do you want to do in the medical field?

If its med. school, sure it is very competitive but you can do anything you put your mind to . If you want to do it, you will find a way to get a high GPA, do well on your MCAT, and volunteer. I actually had a bad semester in college due to some personal reasons and was able to explain it. You have to show that you are a good student though, as I maintained a near perfect GPA outside of that short period.

Just don't ever give up on yourself. Self defeating thinking is the worst, regardless of what you want to pursue.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

TTUHSC SOM right? I think you mentioned it in a thread before

16. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I'm in medical school right now, I just finished with the USMLE Step 1. 26 years of age with no means of income, long hours of studying, and a lot of frustration. If you are not really motivated person I would highly discourage you from going into the medical field. It is absolutely terrible. Most of my friends are starting their lives right now, buying fancy cars, houses, starting families while I sit here and study for long hours, make absolutely no money and build debt. The medical field is tough, you have to constantly stay motivated...its hard.

17. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

^Hi Ramathorn!

OP, any thoughts on what part of the medical field you were thinking about?

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Small advice: if you want to make it to your big goal in the future, you have to sweat the small difficulties now.

So if math is giving you trouble now, you need to set a short term goal to zone in on math and conquer it.

Wherever it is that you want to go, the only way you make it is dogged focus for the next 3 years of your life. Be single minded about it- don't second guess yourself, don't take time off, forget about parties and girlfriends. Especially girlfriends. There will be time for them later when you're leaving your dream. But if you don't make up your mind you'll forever wander and never arrive at your dreams.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wrap it before you tap it.

20. BonziWellsGOAT

Clutchfans: We're futures go to die.