1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Be the #1 Overall Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 30, 2014.

?

Who's going first on June 5?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2014.
  1. Carlos Rodon

92.3%
  2. Jeff Hoffman

0.7%
  3. Trea Turner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tyler Kolek

2.8%
  5. Jacob Gatewood

1.4%
  6. Alex Jackson

0.7%
  7. Other, please name

2.1%
  1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alternate thread title: Will there be a legit challenger to Carlos Rodon this year?

Warning: Long post ahead.

Baseball season will soon be upon us, and for the first time in the Astros' Reconstruction, there is a true favorite for the #1 overall pick, and his name is....

Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State

[​IMG]

The rundown: Rodon spurned Bud's team out of high school and proceeded to turn in one of the most dominating freshman seasons in recent memory. He wavered at times last season, but at his best.... my God. And he still put up an outstanding final line, despite his ups and downs. Rodon led Division I in strikeouts and strikeouts per 9 innings, and was 3rd in innings pitched.

2013 season: 19 starts (3 complete games, 1 shutout), 10-3, 2.99 ERA, 132.1 IP, 94 H (8 HR), 50 R (44 earned), 45 BB, 184 K, 1.05 WHIP, .200 opponent average

Some Carlos Rodon .GIFs, because they won't show if I post the images alone.

Crawfish Boxes: Carlos Rodon: Prize of the 2014 Draft

Minor League Ball: Draft Profile, by Matt Garrioch

Baseball America: 2014 Draft Top 50: Carlos Rodon Stands Alone

Videos:

MLB.com
    <iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31219171&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Fall ball
    <script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?deepLinkEmbedCode=9maml1ZzobsUFE2YWRI1_z6dUnDG4n4f&width=480&embedCode=9maml1ZzobsUFE2YWRI1_z6dUnDG4n4f&video_pcode=Y2eWc6BmWMypoBLDfce-LDGmx47n&height=360"></script>

Vs. Cuba, pitching for Team USA
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Lj1bRypfq44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still a ways to go before June 5, but these guys are the primary challengers to Rodon's claim for the top spot.

Jeff Hoffman, RHP, East Carolina

[​IMG]

The rundown: Hoffman emerged as the top prospect in the Cape Cod League. He posted good, but not great, numbers during the 2013 season, then dominated in 4 Cape starts. That strong Cape session has definitely vaulted him into the #1 discussion. But will that momentum carry over? Sean Manaea dominated the Cape and had a nice season, but didn't show that dominating form, which caused his drop.

2013 season: 15 starts (1 complete game shutout), 6-7, 3.20 ERA, 109.2 IP, 99 H (3 HR), 46 R (39 earned), 39 BB, 84 K, 1.26 WHIP, .243 opponent average

Baseball America: Cape Cod League Top 30 Prospects ($$)

Cape Cod League action, from Kiley McDaniel
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rTj5CsI6Fqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vs. UCF (Bullpen Banter)
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KE-FZYUmpnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baseball America: ECU Scout Day

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?deepLinkEmbedCode=RpbDlxZzq4-9mTR1NBrK8CfrKFk9TxEm&width=640&embedCode=RpbDlxZzq4-9mTR1NBrK8CfrKFk9TxEm&video_pcode=Y2eWc6BmWMypoBLDfce-LDGmx47n&height=360"></script>

Minor League Ball: 2014 Draft Profile, by Matt Garrioch

Trea Turner, SS, North Carolina State

[​IMG]

The rundown: Turner might be Rodon's Robin, but if Robin is arguably the most dynamic position player in the country, then the Wolfpack have a pretty darn good thing going for them. NC State will definitely be looking to these two for leadership as they get set for a journey to Omaha.

2013 season: 56 games (55 starts), .368/.455/.553, 7 HR, 42 RBI, 66 R, 38 BB (3 HBP), 31 K, 30 SB (6 CS)

Draft Profile from Big League Futures

With the college national team in Japan:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/98Ve0RDNODM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice defensive play vs. Presbyterian
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Iu4D4-I9Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd HS, Shepherd, Texas

[​IMG]

The rundown: Kolek is a TCU commit that also attracted attention as a tight end, but he's chosen baseball. His brother, Stephen, is a top prospect for the 2015 draft, so this family is worth keeping an eye on. First thing that stands out: his size. Already 6'6", 245 (not sure if he's grown a little more), Kolek hit 97 at the Perfect Game National Showcase and 99 at the PG All-American Classic. He's also got a nasty slider and a solid curve in the making.

Baseball America: Tyler Kolek Looks to Take His Spot in Texas Pitching Lineage

Pitching Performances at the Perfect Game All-American Classic

Summer Showcase Wrapup
    <script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?video_pcode=Y2eWc6BmWMypoBLDfce-LDGmx47n&width=640&embedCode=ZjbDhyZTqHjEXKtArW6Ro5j57NsjdhJz&deepLinkEmbedCode=ZjbDhyZTqHjEXKtArW6Ro5j57NsjdhJz&height=360"></script>

PG All-American Showcase
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FTw2X_C_iZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Team USA U-18 tryouts
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d_OPoGZlxFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis HS, Clovis, California

[​IMG]

The rundown: He sent 14 homers out as he won a high school home run derby at Citi Field during the All-Star Game's Home Run Derby, and he might be the best pure power hitter from the high school ranks this year. Committed to USC.

Kiley McDaniel's report on Gatewood

Perfect Game Profile

Area Code Games
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J4Bh3OEQXOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1byMKBJbPrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alex Jackson, C/OF, Rancho Bernardo HS, Escondido, California

[​IMG]

The rundown: Committed to Oregon. The bat can play anywhere, but what position will he end up playing? Strong-armed and very athletic for a catcher.

Perfect Game Profile

At the 2013 World Wood Bat Championships
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c8b5usrBnhc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Area Code Game tryouts
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QUGJ8qyADw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2011 CIF San Diego Section I Championship Game
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IoazhzlLZhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other names worth watching are Touki Toussaint, a HS righty from Florida who has hit 97 and has the potential for a sick curveball. Michael Gettys, Brady Aiken, Dylan Cease, and Nick Gordon could be kids to watch from the HS ranks. College-wise, Tyler Beede, Michael Cederoth, and Sean Newcomb could enter the discussion.

1 person likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hope someone passes Rodon as the number 1 pick. He has a great chance to be a dominant ace. To get someone with better potential would be awesome.

That said, I think it will be hard for someone to pass Rodon unless Rodon falls apart.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Rodon is obviously the pick going into the college season. Injury is likely the only thing that changes anything.

I'd rank the pitchers:

1. Rodon
    2. Kolek (I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best pitcher from this draft).
    3. Toussaint

I wouldn't consider Hoffman or Beede at this point. I'm convinced they will both be busts if taken too highly. Beede has already slid to a mid-late first rounder in many people's minds, and I think Hoffman will do the same. I think Sean Manaea was better than both of them. He had a great season following his domination in the CCL, but was injured and there were some reports of inconsistency with his control.

4. Xercules

Xercules Member

Rodon, barring injury.

[​IMG]

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Reid Ryan literally called Rodon by name when addressing the future to season ticket holders at an end of the season meeting last season at MMP. I'd be shocked if he weren't the pick.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

This. Just pray for that arm not to fall off and he's 1-1

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Has to be Rodon. Best prospect available, by far. He's the first "legit no. 1" since Harper and Strasberg, no offense to Correa or Appel.

Luhnow arguably should not have passed on Buxton, but I understand his move at the time. He refilled our system by essentially getting Correa, McCullers, and Ruiz instead of getting Buxton.

But, at this stage in the rebuilding phase, it does not make sense to nickel and dime over prospects when a no-doubt number 1 prospect is there.

Take Rodon. Be happy. Move on.

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

weve been tlaking about Rodon for 3 years, i expect this poll to be a clean sweep..

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This should be an interesting test to see if a baseball writer with a HOF vote follows Clutchfans.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

damn look at that unanimous vote for Rodon.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I wondered how long it would take for the 1st non-Rodon vote. I know high school pitchers don't go #1, but I'm willing to roll the dice if something major happens to Rodon this year. Tyler Kolek throws hard and he has a massive frame.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The 3 non-Rodon votes are anonymous.

Shocker.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They must've all watched that Rice game!

14. Progs

Progs Member

Rice lost tho...

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Obviously, I put too many choices. Poll choices should've been "Carlos Rodon" and "Not Carlos Rodon."

16. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Just wondering. Not saying you are wrong, but what was his exact words when he mentioned Rodon?

The answer is clear. It's Rodon or bust. I dont think Luhnow will pass on a dominant lefty and best player in this draft, especially if he dominates his jr. year like he did as a freshman.

17. Buck Turgidson

Rodon, but nothing could possibly change in the next 5 months

18. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I voted Rodon.

IMO popsects from the minor league system are going to start coming in waves over the next few seasons. Srpinger, Singleton and Wojo could be in Houston by the summertime (IMO Springer arbitration clock will get started late, flame away if you'd like). Appel could be in Houston by September and ready to be in the rotation full time by next season.

By picking Rodon, you have a dominant lefty starter with thee plus pitches and a great track record. Rodon has clean mechanics and an easily repeatable delivery. Rodon, if picked by the Astros could follow the same plan as Appel and more than likely be in Houston by the end of next season and ready for full time rotation by the beginning of the 2016 season, when the Astros are in their window where they want to contend.

Tyler Kolek is an intriguing prospect and has something left in him that Rodon doesn't --- projectability. Just like Appel, what you see with Rodon is what you get, there isn't a whole lot of projectability left with him as opposed to Kolek. Kolek has a huge frame, throws hard and projects to get bigger and stronger. Kolek is drawing comparisons to another Texas high school pitcher in Jameson Taillon. Taillon was drafted in 2010 and may still spend this entire season in AAA. That would be four seasons in the minor league system. Do the Astros want to wait four seasons for Kolek to develop?

The only other player that I'm intigued by is Trea Turner. The speed, the defense and the potential of the bat possessed by Turner would be great at the top of the line-up. However, the bat is questionable at times and with the potential to have Rodon in the rotation is too great for me to want to pass up.

Rodon is considered the consensus #1 pick for the first time since Bryce Harper came out three years ago. In fact, he was thought to be consensus #1 since his freshman season. Rodon could be another David Price and I'd be ecstatic if he turns out that way.

19. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

If we select Rodon, are the Astros team any good this upcoming year to compete for the playoffs? I haven't watched any Astros game lately but I'm excited they have the number 1 draft pick.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No they're gonna suck this year, probably be mediocre next year too.

In baseball number draft picks have to come up through the minors so it will be a least a year (usually longer but he should move much quicker than most) before he plays in Houston. We had the number one pick the last 2 years as well, it bodes extremely well for our future, not so much for our present.