1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2014 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked another scout what Appel's velocity was at for him. He said 90 as well. No bueno.</p>&mdash; Ron (@Rontrarian) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rontrarian/statuses/459170404930576384">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Since his fastball was sitting at 95 in college I would be more concerned with a health issue than a stuff issue. Because he had the stuff when he was in college.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was 95-96 in his ST start against the Mexican team at MMP.

I'd be more worried about fatigue, body not fully strengthened after his surgery, along with possibly trying to "overthrow" in that launchpad.

Or maybe he was trying to work on his location, sacrificing speed. Maybe he was trying to throw a cutter or a sinker.

Waaay too much to be read into a simple velocity decline.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

oopsie-doodles!!

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Corpus wasn't overly impressed with Gray.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Something is certainly wrong with that kind of drop off in velocity.

Maybe dead arm, of he's still not recovered. Has his velocity been down since his return, of was it just last night?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

95-96 in his first extended start (last ST game at MMP).

Has been down since then.

Not sure he's thrown enough this year to have a dead arm... but would like to hear Luhnow's thoughts on what could be going on (is he working on other pitches? Is he still trying to get in shape just 3 months after abdominal surgery?)

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Wednesday Stories

Jeff Luhnow in the house to watch the #1 overall picks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros GM Jeff Luhnow in the house.</p>&mdash; Ron (@Rontrarian) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rontrarian/statuses/459149903361347584">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/duyarvish">@duyarvish</a> High-A California League. Lancaster vs. Inland Empire.</p>&mdash; Ron (@Rontrarian) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rontrarian/statuses/459150264126029824">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

Andrew Thurman with another solid outing after a rough start to his season.

Recap

Oklahoma City was off

As part of a league-wide off day in the Pacific Coast League. They'll begin a 4-game series at home against Nashville at 7:05. Mike Foltynewicz and Rudy Owens will start the opener against Ariel Peña.

Midland 3, Corpus Christi 1

The Hooks were held in check as they couldn't muster up anything in support of Luis Cruz, who had a nice outing. He went 6 innings and the only blemish on his line was a solo homer from Jefry Marte in the 5th. Cruz gave up 3 other hits and struck out 3 in his outing. R.J. Alaniz, in his season debut, pitched the final 3 innings and allowed 2 runs on 3 hits, walked 3, and struck out 2.

Nolan Fontana's RBI double in the 8th accounted for the lone Hooks run and the lone Hooks extra-base hit. Leo Heras went 2-4.

Tom Shirley and Matt Heidenreich will be the pairing for the series finale, and they will face Andrew Werner at 7:10.

Inland Empire 4, Lancaster 3 in 12 innings

The JetHawks walked off with a loss right after they squandered a golden opportunity to get ahead.

Mark Appel, who is well below-form at the moment, labored through 2.1 innings and allowed 3 runs on 6 hits, walked 1, and struck out 2. He's probably still in catch-up mode physically. Juan Minaya was the first reliever out of the bullpen and struck out 2 over 1.2 perfect innings. Mitch Lambson worked around a walk to throw a scoreless 5th. Mike Hauschild came in to piggyback and threw 4 scoreless, allowing a hit, walking 1, and striking out 3. Tyson Perez was next up, and he went 2.1 innings and allowed a hit, walked 2, and struck out 3. He got the loss, as J.D. Osborne allowed one of the 2 runners he inherited to score, as Sherman Johnson delivered the game-winning single with 1 out in the 12th. Osborne did not record an out after coming on.

Brandon Meredith drew a 1-out walk in the 2nd, advanced to 3rd on a Danry Vasquez single, and scored on a sac fly from Carlos Perdomo. The JetHawks tied the game with a pair of RBI singles from Meredith and Carlos Correa in the 6th. Roberto Peña went 3-4 with a double, and Rio Ruiz was 2-6 with a double.

In the series finale, Kyle Westwood and Vince Velasquez will take on Nate Smith at 7:05 Pacific.

Quad Cities 7, Clinton 1

The River Bandits have put up 15, 11, and now 16 hits in the first 3 games of this series. The game was tied at 1 after the 1st inning, but QC scored the final 6 runs to win handily. Everyone in the lineup had a hit except for Jon Kemmer, who went 0-5 with a K.

Tanner Mathis led off the game with a triple and Chan-Jong Moon opened the scoring with an RBI single one batter later. Moon, who finished 4-5, hit a triple of his own in the 3rd and wound up scoring, thanks to an error. Jobduan Morales went 3-3, and all of his hits were doubles. 2 of those (in the 4th and 7th) resulted in an RBI. He also walked twice. Moon added a 2-run single in the 6th, and Chase McDonald hit an RBI single in the 8th.

Chris Lee went 4 innings and allowed a run on 5 hits and struck out 2. Andrew Thurman also went 4 innings as he got the victory; he allowed a hit and struck out 5. And finally, Albert Minnis struck out 1 in a 1-2-3 9th.

In the series finale, Kent Emanuel and Jandel Gustave will take on Jake Zokan. First pitch is at 6:30.

Three Stars

[​IMG]

Chan-Jong Moon, SS, Quad Cities
    4-5, 3B, 3 RBI, 2 R

Moon, by all accounts, is a great guy in the locker room. He's known to be a better defender, but through the first month, he's made good progress with his offense.

[​IMG]

Jobduan Morales, C, Quad Cities
    3-3, 3 2B, 2 RBI, R, 2 BB

Morales put himself behind the 8-ball with that awful 2013, but could that be attributed to bad luck? His BABIP last year was an appalling .237.

[​IMG]

Andrew Thurman, RHP, Quad Cities
    W (2-1), 4 IP, H, 5 K

Thurman has really turned the beginning of his season around after getting lit up in his first 2 outings. He's looking more like the pitcher that was expected to move rather quickly through the system.

Honorable Mentions

Carlos Correa, SS, Lancaster: It wasn't an eye-popping night, but Correa has rebounded very well from his mid-month slump.

Luis Cruz, LHP, Corpus Christi: Cruz delivered yet another solid outing; he has not allowed more than 2 runs in any of his appearances this season.

Chris Lee, LHP, Quad Cities: How about "left-handed Jarred Cosart" as a pie-in-the-sky ceiling?

Mike Hauschild, RHP, Lancaster: Hauschild has an 0.90 ERA when pitching in The Hangar. He shackled the Inland Empire offense and bought time for his team's offense to at least get something going.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol whatever helps you sleep at night.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's a guy I had as a sleeper a few years ago. I'm like you, I'd love to see the random obscure international signings make it but I was doubly rooting for him because the dude's asian.

He's just got too much depth ahead of him now considering he's 23 in single A ball. Even if he hits at QC, which isn't impressive considering he's old for the league, he's behind Villar, Correa, Fontana and potential comeback kid Jio Mier. I bet he gets released after the season.

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I don't get it, how can you be so sure that Gray is going to have a better MLB career than Appel? That's right, you can't. You think he will, and you have every right to that opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. Personally, both Bryant and Gray intrigued me for the 1-1 last year, and I probably would have gone with the more risk/reward of Gray over Appel, but I can understand the logic of Appel's projected higher floor helping mitigate his risk. I think Appel's ceiling is not quite as high Gray's (just a tick under), but he offsets that with a much higher floor. I also won't complain each time Gray has a good outing. The fact is, both Gray's and Appel's futures are question marks at this point. And their success is not mutually exclusive either. Both can be dominant aces, and both, unfortunately, can flame out. I hope that both do well. Being that their future is uncertain, I see really two options: to either be optimistic about Appel, or pessimistic about him. It looks like you are more pessimistic, which is not inherently wrong, but it just seems like an unnecessarily negative stance to take for a team I believe you are rooting for. If the Astros' success is what you ultimately want, wouldn't you wish Appel fulfills his potential as a frontline starter? I guess I'm just not understanding your "certainty" that Appel will not live up to expectations.

And although you are entitled to your opinion, tellitlikeitis simply stated fact, which was that Corpus hit him hard. Facts typically beat out opinions in discussions.

12. delishman

delishman Member

Marky Mark.. yikes. Too early but certainly alarming. Tradebacks for Kris Bryant?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This guy did a full range of baseball activities today. He could come back quickly <a href="http://t.co/ERK8P3Sogv">pic.twitter.com/ERK8P3Sogv</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/459462589135589376">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I wonder how much longer the excuses will rain down for Appel. Not looking good so far imo.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Appel's ceiling is not a frontline starter. It's a solid #2. That's why I never wanted him. Call me a gambler, but I wanted a guy with a 100mph fastball and a filthy slider to boot. In case you didn't know, that guy is Jon Gray. I know people around clutchfans hate when someone criticizes Jesus, oops I mean Luhnow, but he missed badly on this pick. It should have been Gray or Bryant, the two players with the highest ceilings of the draft. End of discussion.

To be honest, I am not sure what kind of career Appel will have. Obviously he is advancing much slower than any of us could have imagined, which is disappointing to say the least. I want him to prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening. In all likelihood Appel ends up as a very good #3, while Gray is an Ace and Bryant mashes 35+ HR. Luhnow struck out on this pick. Let's hope he does not do it again.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You really think Gray is most likely going to be an ace and Byrant is a 35+ HR guy?

You are very optimistic.

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

LMAO!!!

18. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

So in revisiting the last draft, IMHO Gray was probably the Astros' pick. Until he tested positive for Adderall. There were other red flags on Gray, the guy has to work hard to stay in shape, he can be wild and his uptick in speed on his fastball was kind of sudden (which some scouts don't like). I'm with you, I wanted Gray/Bryant as 1 and Appel as 1A. The thought of having a masher like Bryant who could play 3rd or at worst play LF was intriguing. Lord knows we could use a big bat right now.

Appel has a tendency to start slow, he did last season and the season before when he was at Stanford. His ceiling is still a frontline starter, but his floor is a #3 workhorse. Appel's delivery is very easy and repeatable, whereas Gray's has some effort and some scouts say maximum effort, which could lead to injuries down the line.

Instead of pointing and saying I told you so prematurely, lets root for the guys that we have in the minors and hope they reach their ceilings.

I'm not a Luhnow apologist. I like a lot of what he's done as far as rebuilding the minor league system and employing tandem starters to help keep guys from getting injured early. I believe that Luhnow whiffed on the Lowrie trade. Carter is a bench player and doesn't make enough contact, Peacock looks to have lost a lot of polish from his lofty prospect status when he was in the Nationals' farm system. Stassi could still make the trade salvageable, but we'll see how long he can stay healthy (crossing my fingers).

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tom Shirley threw 5 shutout innings, allowed 4 hits, and struck out 4 for Corpus tonight.

Hooks lead Midland 3-0 in the bottom of the 5th

While in OKC, Mike Foltynewicz went 5 innings and allowed a run on 4 hits, walked 2, and struck out 1. He induced 9 groundouts and 1 flyout. OKC leads Nashville 2-1 in the 6th.. Rudy Owens is up.

#559 tellitlikeitis, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

my head is not in the sand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.