1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest Jeopardy Idiot Contestant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

That's not nice. lol

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He really won? He blew another puzzle after he had both halves of the car.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The American way of saying Achilles is wrong, too, so this is huge bs. Are they even legally allowed to not accept his answer just because his pronounciation doesn't match theirs?

4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Every time I watch this show I always think to myself "I could win this" but I'm pretty sure if I did get on the show I would choke lol

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he obviously isn't familiar with the story of achilles if he can't even pronounce it correctly. therefore he still didn't know what the answer was even if it was literally spelled out for him.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Like I said, the English pronounciation is wrong if you compare it to the native tongue. Seems wrong to say his answer is incorrect when their own pronounciation is wrong as well. They're drawing the line but both are not the correct way of pronounciating the name.

That's like someone pronounciating the German name(just to illustrate, works with every language) "Michael Schumacher", which sounds like Me-scha-el in German, in a "wrong" manner, for example Me-kael, and then the show saying his answer is wrong because the English way to spell is My-kel.

Just seems completely wrong for the show to say the guy's answer is wrong when their own language is not capable of pronounciating the name in the correct, native way.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I always pronounced it as Brad-Pitt.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I always pronounced it a-chili bill hilly diddily doo dittily day.

9. Garner

Garner Member

The game is played in English. Accuracte English pronunciation is required.

You're overthinking it.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless, he didn't pronounce it correctly by anyone's pronunciation. Perhaps had he pronounced it Asheel, he would have had a valid argument if they had not accepted it.

11. Buck Turgidson

Stupid! Stupid! You so stupid!

[​IMG]

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think you are correct. It's stupid to favor a bastardized American pronunciation over some other creative pronunciation. I think the kid was robbed.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

IN before Quannell-X complains Wheel Of Fortune is racist against blacks. :eek:

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

there's a difference between a cultural pronunciation and just being plain wrong. no one says, man i hurt my a-chill-us tendon the other day. his pronunciation indicates that he isn't familiar with who achilles is and just took a shot at pronouncing it for the first time