1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timetable for McHale ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets0515, Nov 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

So with Mchale being out for 2 weeks now... Anyone have any idea how long the Rockets will give him before they start looking for replacements?

Personally I want to see Mchale back and finish this season, but If he is out for another Month or 2 I think the season will be a lost cause and Rockets would have to go with someone new.

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

There is no timetable, unfortunately.

It's a shame because Kelvin Sampson is so hilariously overmatched as an NBA head coach. He's made it quite obvious why he hasn't had a gig like this until now.

The sooner McHale can return, the better.

3. fv court

fv court Member

my guess is that McHale resign for personal reasons...I wish him well. I'd like to understand the hierarchy between the assistant coaches. It looks it is Sampson, Bickerstaff and Finch in that order. however we were all told that Finch was the head coach in waiting. If McHale does resign midseason will they hire an outsider or let Sampson finish the season?

4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

As far as "how long is too long" to go without McHale, that's more of an internal matter, and only people like Daryl Morey and Les Alexander would have a definitive answer to a question like that.

We're left to only speculate. 5 more games? 10 more games? 20? Who can say.

5. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I don't mind how long he takes. It's gotta be a pretty serious personal issue for him to miss this much time

I think Sampson is doing a fine job in his place.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think coaching is overrated in basketball. I also don't think McHale is a good coach. If we had lebron or dwight this team would win 50-60 games.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "I'm already tired of getting blown out" thread.

I seriously doubt Houston is going to fire him for taking care of his daughter. I wouldn't be surprised, if they let him sit out over half the season.

8. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Agreed, + could you imagine the blowback the organization could receive from forcing a guy out when his daughter is really sick? They already have to deal with the Royce White situation - if they let McHale go and it wasn't 100% of his own volition, then we'd look like the most cold hearted and undesirable franchise to play for in the NBA.

9. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Yeah, the Lakers were dominating with Mike Brown...

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Was there ever any more info revealed? Curious minds... Wishing him the best - seems like a nice dude at least.

But I don't care when he gets back, honestly.

11. jondoe

jondoe Member

Well, not trying to brush off his ill daughter, but he needs to make a decision because the rox season is going down the toilet. Indefinite leave of absence by the coach affects a lot of people and a lot of careers. If he would step down to take care of his ill daughter, I'm sure the rox would give him a job in the organization when he returns. As I said, not making light of his ill daughter, but stuff like this happens in the real world too, and tough decisions are made all the time.

12. catch22

catch22 Member

mcfail and sampfail both need to go, simply as that

13. makman

makman Member

Don't want to speculate, but his daughter must be pretty ill and probably require his care even after she's better. Even if he were to return, he may not be here mentally or have his heart in it. I have a feeling he will resign even though I like him, but he isn't a great fit as a coach.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree 100%. I feel certain that Morey and Les will give McHale as much time as he needs, even if that's the rest of the season. McHale may ultimately make the decision to step down, but he won't be pressured to do so by the Rockets.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I haven't be terribly happy with the job McHale has been doing, our season went in the toilet when we put 11 new players on the roster and became the youngest team in the league by nearly a year. Making the playoffs would be a miracle. One I would enjoy, but very unlikely. McHale should have however much time he needs. Sampson? Not so much.

16. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

Not at all. I just havent heard any news on Mchale and as much as I wish him and his family well, The Rockets cant waste a entire half a season wondering if and when he will come back.

If its going to be longer than a Month it would be best if Mchale just resigned in my opinion, and we could start working towards future rather than be stuck in neutral.

17. jae713

jae713 Member

LMAO @ CF now wanting McHale back.

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Getting rid of him due to out-of-this-world unrealistic expectations for the season was never some sort of consensus opinion. It was only the noisiest and most knee-jerk reactionary one--the kind that would get 8 threads per Rockets loss.

19. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Look at the Bobcats with a good coach & look at the Cavs with a terrible coach in my eyes

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can Morey make a decision to replace Sampson (say with Finch) while McHale is out? Or is this McHale's decision?