1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610 trade rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by itzIce, Oct 14, 2003.

1. itzIce

itzIce Member

Not sure if anyone was paying attention to the 610 show at 6:55 but the strangest rumor came up from the one of the hosts. He briefly discussed that there was a trade rumor involving Kelvin Cato for Penny Hardaway and Jake Voshkuhl. One of the hosts said they wouldn't do it, the other didnt respond. For myself, I wouldnt mind the trade. It seems to aid the ROX for the long run. You get Penny who is a proven all-star with veteran leadership. He could provide some needed influence on our young guys and he has what it takes to help this team if we get to the playoffs. In Jake, we get a hustler and a valuable role player especially on the defensive end. Coming back to Houston could even make him a little more valuable. Overall, I woudnt bash the ROX if they do or they dont go ahead with this trade.

I feel that Cato will be important for us this year especially if YAO might face the "sophomore slump". With Penny and Jake, we will have one of the deepest teams in the league with alot of balance especially on the defensive end.

But then again, this is just a rumor.

itzIce

2. Alirules

Alirules Member

bad trade.

we already have Cat, Jim Jackson, Adrian Griffin, and Eric Pythcasky in the positin Penny plays in

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

throw in mobes for amare and u gots urself a great deal

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I was listening to 610 when this came up. I wouldn't call this a rumor. Charlie said it was something he got via an email. I took that to mean that it was someone emailing a trade suggestion and not a legit rumor.

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

hmm, well it would guarantee that we win the yao-cato matchup every time. but i still hope that doesnt happen, at least cato can remain injury-free for half a year

6. juicedude

juicedude Member

Penny would possibly be used as the point guard to move Francis to the two.

7. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

this is just a stupid trade if its true. penny hardaway would be basically useless to the rockets organization since he spends most of his time on the injured list. and jake voskul is a well known scrub from katy. i dont see how this trade helps the rockets, because kelvin cato is starting to show some improvement, and hes a good backup to compliment yao ming.

8. jeerome

jeerome Member

that would be awesome. but then again it's a rumor

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No thanks. Cato can be valuable to a team in the east. Im sure we could package Cato/Cat/Trade exemption and get something REAL nice in return.

10. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato does more for them than Penny Hardaway does for us. Its that simple.

11. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I've heard this rumor swirling around as well... mobley possibly might be on his way out if this does happen. I know it seems like he's been on the block since the season started. I remember hearing rumors about rudy being out as a coach before it happened and I posted it several months ago along with mobley and griffin being possibilities as well...With Van Gundy being unhappy thus far don't be suprised if something happens before the season starts..... :D

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets will be among trade rumors all season because i think they gave Van Gundy the power to change things around. If things don't shape up i don't think anyone is really safe except Yao....honestly it just comes down to what Van Gundy said, he is trying to find players that want to play and want to give their all.

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Please don't be full of sh*t!

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That is exactly what I thought. Penny has forgot more about being a point guard than Franchise will ever know.

Penny at the 1 and Steve at the 2 with Cat and Pike comming off of the bench could be very lethal. It would most definitely improve our team offense.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Man, who would of ever guessed we would want to keep Cato? But, I wouldn't trade Cato at this point unless it was for a legit starter! Cato in my mind is a starter and maybe we can find a way to get him more minutes with Yao!

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

:confused: :confused:

But does Penny do more for us than Big Kev?

Or does Big Kev do more for them than Penny does?

Those are the real questions.

17. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Rumors are a hit and miss thing....when i posted about rudy being out the door i wasn't sure if it was going to happen, it was just a rumor that I heard from someone who worked for the Rockets organization at the time. It happened. I also posted about cat and eddie being possibilities, but i didn't believe it as the off season wore on......who's to say if it's going to happen??????? I'm sure people will doubt the rumors because i do too.. But i never said any of these were going to happen.......:D

18. New Jack

New Jack Member

Trade sounds like it could be a valid rumor.

The Suns recently traded Tsakalidis and Outlaw for Brevin Knight. Cato comes in to replaces Outlaw's hustle and takes over at the 5 for Big Jake. Brevin replaces the departing Penny.

The Rockets recently trade for Amechi to replace Cato and get a 6.5 trade exception to allow themselves to take on Penny's contract.

Coincidence?

I would do the trade if they agreed to take Moochie's contract to compensate for taking Penny's huge contract.

19. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

i'd do Penny for Cat straignht up. If Penny goes on IR we still have JJ & Pike

It is imperative for our toughness that we keep Cato, or move him & at least p-up a "mean" presence

I liked the energy Cato gave us last year & was disappointed he was utilized more w/Yao.

20. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Okay, first of all, I doubt this rumour.

That said, when you look around the league, while there are better complementary guards than Penny if we are, in fact, looking at Francis to be more of a scorer, less of a playmaker, there aren't all that many.In that regard it makes some sense.Penny has the size to take the 2 guards on defense that Steve can't, and the style/skills to be the primary playmakes, without being a pure point, but then Steve has the skill to take some of that slack.

As always when discussing Hardaway, you start with the question of his health. If that's not much of a question, it's not a completely terrible idea.

Then, of course, we have the trade value of Mobley to either get a better backup big man or go for that vet pf, maby in exchange with Eddie or Mo, that we've been wanting.