1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On the Other hand.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Mar 14, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Stepping aside from the Hakeem issue for a moment:

*"The Backcourt of the Future" combined for nearly 60 points tonite. I see the problem with starting Shandon at small forward...he got posted like crazy in that first half by Wallace.

*Boy, Mobley played terrible.

*Kenny Thomas really has some nice postup moves around that basket. A summer in the weight room adding some muscle and I think he could be a legit 15 and 10 man in this league.

*Kelvin Cato really needs to work on that offensive game.

*Calling Bryce Drew....calling Bryce Drew...

*It became evident tonite that the Rockets need another superstar who can create his own shot. Steve was the only one getting it done, and the defense just collapsed on him. With the lottery pick this summer, we should be a much better team next year.

*Does anyone else think maybe we should experiment with Steve at the 2, and Mooch at the 1 for the rest of the year? Just let Steve go wild offensively and see what happens? I know we need to be developing him to be our future point guard, but it wouldn't hurt to see what he can do...

2. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

CabbagePatch...I argued at the beginning of the season as to why Anderson shouldn't...err no can't play the small foward postion on a daily basis. Tonight was a peek as to why.

But, No Don't play Steve at the 2. He gets team mates involved at the point, and would probably average 1 or 2 more assists a game if his team mates could catch all of his passes. And I love how Anderson plays D, Hustles, does all the little things. The Rox could use more players like him. Especially on D. Heck I saw him guarding Wallace, and Thomas in the post. Not that he did it well, but the fact that he was given the assignments as a true shooting guard, is inspiring. He deserves to play 40 mins a game.

For as bad as Mobley played, Hakeem looked 10 times worst.

3. treeman

treeman Member

cabbage:

I like the idea of playing Steve at the 2 and letting happen what may happen @ PG. I like what I've seen of Mooch - he's fast, lefty, fairly good at handling the ball, and he's not greedy. Also, not a bad shooter...

Let's face it, the only real value the Rox can get out of the rest of the season is simple testing: playing matchups, finding mismatches, and figuring out what lineup works best against a given opponent.

I like Moochie, and I think he might really have a future as a backup PG. I say that we see what he can do with the time that's left.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We won with Elie at the SF position, we can win with SA there now. What we need though is to double team, and have a shot blocker clogging the middle.

I really agree that we need another scorer on this team. I do not like Chris Mihm's toughness, but he can create a shot on the low post and is a good shot block threat.

But, what I think the Rockets need the most is maturity, I for one do not like seeing all this fancy dribbling..bad passing etc...

JUST MAKE THE SIMPLE PLAY !!!!

DaDakota

PS. I think Rudy needs to clamp down on the young guys, but I think Rudy knows he is going nowhere this year, and wants them to learn on their own.

5. treeman

treeman Member

Dakota: (and everyone else)

What do you think an NBA team would look like if a coach had in his mind from the beginning that he would not try to use that team for winning, but rather for testing ideas that have been boiling at the back of his mind for years...

I think this is an awesome opportunity - no playoff pressure - to test some unorthodox ideas out on the court. I'd like to see different lineups against different teams every night - even if it means we lose some games. Still, we learn...

If we don't learn now, when will we?