1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketManJosh, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Big time shenanigans. Of course, you can see why A&M bolted. ESPN conspiring with Texas to cheat on recruiting by broadcasting high school games on the Longhorn network. Texas officials buddy-buddying with NCAA execs, ESPN shelling out the dough for everyone.

Man, college football is corrupt.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

BYU to BE dead.

ralphDrussoAP Ralph D. Russo

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but Ken Starr would absolutely eat you for dinner.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yes, and I'm sure that Zan Tabak would destroy me in a game of 1-on-1, but compared to his peers, he suxors.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

agreed, but my five-month old would eat ziggy for dinner. unfortunately, they'd both die from e coli hours later. :(

7. MadMax

Really? :)

Look, I don't expect you, of anyone, to like Ken Starr. But the man is ridiculously qualified to do what he does...and but for him doing exactly what he did, Baylor would be playing in some craphole conference next season. Make no mistake about the fact he put the brakes on big time...and that allowed for things to slow down a bit. I'm extremely thankful that he was our school's president during that period.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Starr was playing with the only chips he had a poker table filled with other very skilled, highly resourced players. I'm pretty sure that was what Ziggy's point was, he came off like a limp noodle. Simply because that's what he had to do. We all know this, not something worth arguing about, really. Especially because it's extremely tired at this point. Looks like everybody got what they wanted, so... cheers?

9. MadMax

Hearing A&M's exit fee will be at least $23 million...and Missouri's will likely be north of that given that they announced so late for next season.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Didnt you hear it was $36 million not too long ago

Ive maintained it will be $15-$20MM from the get go. Now I think the Big 12 will withold A&M's share for 11-12 and wont get a penny more

11. MadMax

I heard that was the highest possible figure. That's the starting point. Apply the withheld money from the media deal and it gets you to around $23 million, as I understand it.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...aggie_coach_she.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That will seriously impede the Kyle Field Bat Guano removal budget. Sorry Aggie fans,, looks like you'll have to wait for new plumbing and less bat poop.

14. MadMax

http://www.kitchenkc.com/2011/11/louisville-telling-football-recruits-it.html

Louisville telling football recruits it is Big 12-bound

It isn't as though most people in Big 12 country would be shocked to hear Louisville had been extended an offer to join the conference.

But, it is a little bit surprising that, considering Big 12 interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas' stance that 10 teams is the magic number for now, the Cardinals football coaches are telling recruits that their playing futures "no doubt" reside there.

Louisville's apparent actions would seem to undercut the Big East's hard-line stance toward member institutions wanting to leave the conference while giving credence to the thought that the Big 12 does want to find its way back to the actual number of teams in its name; though probably not until the 2012 season at the earliest.

In early November, West Virginia was sued by the conference for breach of contract as it was announced the Mountaineers would join the Big 12. At the time, Big East Commissioner John Marinatto indicated a heavy hand would be played toward West Virginia's bid to join its new home in 2012.

"Today's legal action underscores Big East position it will vigorously pursue enforcement of its rights and West Virginia's obligations, which WVU agreed and helped construct," Marinatto said then.

That stance, however, seemed to hinge on the thought and/or hope that several schools, including Brigham Young, Boise State, Air Force, Navy and several from Conference USA would join the Big East and keep it viable. Since that time, the plan is in an extremely precarious position after negotiations with BYU reached an impasse, Boise State is dealing with potential Chris Peterson interest from other schools and has yet to accept (and may be hinting it is okay with where it sits), and none of the other invitees have committed as of yet. There is also the possibility that Rutgers and UCONN are still on the ACC's radar as well.

On West Virginia's side, there is a hope that an announcement regarding 2012 Big 12 participation could come before the end of the year, and a source said a schedule is nearly complete.*

*Of course, anyone can put games on paper. That's one thing. However, the source also said while the schedule isn't confirmed, media in both West Virginia and Texas have heard the Mountaineers could replace Texas A&M on the schedule and play Texas on Thanksgiving. The fact that both sides are hearing pieces of the same story makes it at least a little believable.

With all of that in play, the source felt strongly that WVU would be a part of the Big 12 in 2012. And, now Louisville is not-so-quietly hinting it may be planning to depart as well.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i would love that for basketball.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Man nothing is happening. There is no way UH, SMU, Boise and others can move to the Big East for next year. Right?

I wonder what they need for the first domino to fall. It's pretty awesome for the Big 12 that West Virginia won the Big East. Taking a conference champion will definitely help the stature of the conference. Would have been even crazier if those Louisville rumors were true.

WVU and the Big East continue to go back and forth with legal filings. I totally understand that they have the 27 month wait in their contract. It still feels kinda weak they can take teams from other conferences with less than a year's notice.

Drama...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Losing BYU was disappointing, but SDSU is a nice replacement. Better locale, less nutty rules, hotter chicks. Me gusta.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

BYU has hot chicks. You'll never gig em', but they're hot.