1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asante Samuel back on the trade market

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 23, 2011.

1. RedRaiderRocket

Adam Schefter
    Asante Samuel is on trade block, Aqib Talib meets today with Goodell, Terrell Thomas is out for year, Brent Grimes is a UFA after season.

What's a possible trade for Asante Samuel? ... Don't see Eagles entertaining offers of anything less than a 1 or 2 2's.

2. conquistador#11

I'll give them next year's 2nd, and a 3rd in 2013 along with steve slaton. He would fit their Offense.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't really see them trading him except for a 1st and 2nd rounders and I don't think anybody is going to give that up for him. I think there is an outside shot they would trade him for an established linebacker after the way that group was manhandled by the Steelers in last week's preseason game. It could be a possible salary cap move as the Eagles are about $3 million under and trading Samuel would get them about $6 million more under the cap.

I guess we will wait and see.....

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Give them Mario Williams.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That would be a great trade for us in my book. But they need linebackers.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because of age and pay? Corners age well and Mario will probably be making more than that in a 4-3 somewhere else next year. I'd take it. Might be shortsighted but I'd take it.

1 person likes this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Asante is a terrible cover corner.... He excels in Zone coverage and jumping routes...He may make a few int's but he will give up big plays too....It cancels itself out....Don't Want Him

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He's still better than Kareem Jackson and Jason Allen though, and he makes the Texans instantly better. If they are asking for 2 2's, they can stick it, but if they are willing to take a 2 and a 4 (maybe a 3 if we can push it to 2013), I'd be willing to take a shot. Joseph and Samuel at the corners, with Manning and Quin behind them is literally about 849 times better than the defensive backfield we showcased last year.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He isn't terrible but he's not as good as his stats. Some think he was the best CB in the league last year:

http://www.rantsports.com/philadelp...back-in-the-national-football-league-in-2010/

In 2010, Asante Samuel tied for the NFL lead with seven interceptions, despite missing five starts due to injuries.

He victimized Peyton Manning for two interceptions, including the game-winner, and victimized Eli Manning for two interceptions, including the game-winner.

He also defensed 14 passes, forced and recovered a fumble, and picked up 22 tackles.

He earned his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl selection, and his third as a member of the Eagles.

But was Asante Samuel really that good in 2010? Or did his stats just appear to be great because he had a bunch of interceptions, most of which came in a two-game period?

According to Pro Football Focus, Asante Samuel was targeted just 41 times in 2010, an average of about four per game. He allowed 19 completions, meaning opposing quarterbacks completed 46.3% of passes thrown in his direction.

Those completions traveled 141 yards, just 7.42 yards per catch and only 3.44 yards per pass attempt. He allowed two touchdowns and intercepted seven passes.

And Asante Samuel allowed a passer rating of 31.7. That’s unbelievable. He was significantly above average in all four criteria used to judge passer rating: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdown percentage, and interception percentage.

By comparison, Oakland Raiders star cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha posted the following statistics:
    13-33, 205 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 60.8 passer rating

And New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis allowed:
    19-56, 340 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT, 79.5 passer rating

Samuel dominated both Asomugha and Revis in yards per catch, interceptions, and most importantly, passer rating.

You can make the argument that teams constantly picked on opposing cornerbacks Dimitri Patterson and Ellis Hobbs because Samuel was such a shutdown corner, and that’s definitely true.

However, the numbers don’t lie. Samuel intercepted over 15 percent of all of the passes thrown to him. An interception is the best play for a defense to make, and Asante provided it seven times, including twice to win the game.

Asomugha was targeted almost as many times as Samuel. Revis was thrown at more times than Samuel. Neither picked off an interception. Not one.

Football Outsiders analyzed cornerbacks in 2010 for their performance in three different categories: yards per pass, yards after the catch, and success rate. Success rate is defined as the percentage of passes that don’t get 45 percent of the yardage needed on first down, 60 percent of yards on second down, or 100 percent of yards on third down.

Samuel topped the NFL in success rate at a dazzling 78 percent. Revis ranked second at 70 percent, while Asomugha failed to crack the top ten.

Samuel also finished first in the NFL in yards per pass, allowing just 141 passing yards all season. That’s a paltry 3.44 yards per pass.

His 31.7 passer rating allowed is miles ahead of the other three cornerbacks for the Eagles: Dimitri Patterson (93.0), Ellis Hobbs (102.2), and Joselio Hanson (104.1).

It was the best in the National Football League in 2010.

Samuel has been criticized for his all-or-nothing style of play as a cornerback but in 2010, he was simply incredible. He was a total shutdown cornerback. And he was a playmaker.

He was the most valuable member of the Philadelphia Eagles’ defense, and the best cornerback in the NFL in the 2010 season.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would definitely trade for Samuel. People severely underrate him. Interceptions change football teams.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yes, some people, like a random internet blogger.

The Eagles went out and got 2 starting level CBs this offseason, that should tell you enough about their opinion of Asante's abilities.

He's better than what we have, but he's not worth his contract, not by a long shot. And anybody suggesting he's worth giving up Mario for needs to be kicked in their battle red balls.

14. justtxyank

Yeah, they think he doesn't fit what they want to do as well as they hoped. For what it is worth, they are playing DRC at the nickle is my understanding and leaving Samuel as a starter.

He is worth his contract. The dude does nothing but completely change football games.

15. liljojo

liljojo Member

Kareem Jackson completely changes football games too.

1 person likes this.
  16. justtxyank

How clever.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Samuel changes them positively for his team. Kareem Jackson, wait, he was actually on the field?

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010
    But yes, there are a lot of other factors that play into it. It's been suggested that Samuel's style of play depended on a top safety like Mikell behind him. And obviously the Eagles view him as the third best DB on their team if he's the one on the block.

Here's how I view things:

CB2 is still a weak spot for us, and Samuel opposite Joseph would instantly give us one of the top secondaries out there.

Wade's scheme is predicated on sending the front across the line and leans on the secondary (and ILBs) to catch anything that squirts out. The upside is, QB's are pressured and hurried into bad throws which DBs can capitalize on. The downside is, the defense is stretched thin and there won't be help if a CB is burned (see Jason Allen against the Saints).

Why tread water with below average corners begging to be exploited by the likes of Manning and Brees when we can have an opportunistic playmaker there?

Then there's Mario. My confidence in him at WOLB is low. I think he's an upper end 4-3 end, but is a fish out of water upright. Maybe he'll get it. Maybe he moves back and tries his hand playing inside the tackle as a 3-4 end opposite Watt. Maybe he's just not going to fit in this scheme. I can't say.

Perhaps a better cap guru than I can correct me, but Samuel's contract shouldn't be an issue. A trade accelerates his cap hit on the Eagles, and all that's left is base salary and possible roster bonuses. Nothing in the way of the team cutting him without penalty if he flounders or ages like Eugene Wilson did.

Mario, in his last year, won't represent an accelerated cap hit in a trade.

Note - because of cap implications, we almost certainly would have to trade a contract like Mario's to take on Asante's salary.

I don't expect the team to dump Mario. I'm not on a bandwagon looking for any way to get him out of town.

If I were completely pragmatic about it, I probably would pursue the swap. All signs point to Reed being at least as capable as Mario in the WOLB role. Take name and status out of it, and he would have already won the job handily.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'd be more ok with trading picks than personnel. We are in win now mode, after all.

But they can take that #1/#2 nonsense and go talk to Al Davis for all I care.

20. Pete the Cheat

would you reconsider your stance if you knew mario would be signing somewhere else next year?

I still can't take his contract as a valid argument considering the ease with which contracts can be restructured in the NFL...