1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 NFL Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Nov 10, 2008.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I know its really early but this team stinks and it we're more than likely gonna have a high pick.

QB:
    Matthew Stafford
    Sam Bradford

Note: I don't think the Texans will give up on Schaub this early but it will be interesting if these guys are still around.

RB:
    Beanie Wells
    Knowshown Moreno

Note: Doubt Kubiak will take a RB this high, especially since Slaton looks pretty good.

OT:
    Michael Oher
    Eugene Monroe
    Andre Smith

Note: I wonder how the Duane Brown pick will effect the Texans draft decision. All 3 of these guys look like franchise LTs I would love to finally get one.

DE:
    Brian Orakpo
    Michael Johnson

Note: I know we've already invested so many picks into our DL but we really need a guy oppostie Mario. An Orakpo-Mario combo would be absolutely nasty.

S:
    William Moore
    Patrick Chung

Note: None of these guys would be worth a high pick but we need to upgrade both our S positions IMO.

CB:
    Vontae Davis
    Malcom Jenkins

Note: I think we have bigger needs but both of these guys are stud prospects. Jenkins would have been a Top 10 pick last year.

LB:
    James Laurinaitis (ILB)
    Ray Maualuga (ILB)
    Aaron Curry (OLB)

Note: I really don't want to draft ILB and have to move DeMeco outside or vice versa. Assuming Diles can get back to 100%, I think him along with DeMeco and Adibi is a good enough LB core. I also haven't been that impressed with Maualuga from what I've seen.

#1 gucci888, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Where is Lauranitis supposed to go?

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Right now it looks like DE and OLB would our positions of greatest need. The problem has not been drafting strategy; it's been the talent evaluation system that thought Babin or Travis Johnson or Okoye would be good NFL players. The other main problem of the team--turnovers--might require a coaching change to fix.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Michael Johnson is a stud

5. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

If Sam Bradford comes out and he's there when the Texans are picking, they should draft him....but Kubiak is probably sold on Schaub that he won't pick him up...he'll trade the pick

6. gucci888

You do know that both Babin and TJ were Capers/Casserly picks. Okoye was a consensus Top 10 pick and we knew what we were getting, a 19-year old prospect who will need some time.

Eddie- Lauranitis will most likely be a Top 10 but we would have to move either him or DeMeco to OLB.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I think we need a safety.. please no more ****ing pass rushers

8. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Draft Crabtree and have a killer combo with AJ

9. cdastros

cdastros Member

First, trade down and get picks. After that I would like these 2 players

1st. Tyson Jackson - All around DE with a specialty at stopping the run
    2nd. James Davis - good between the tackles runner to complement Slaton.

10. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I hope we get about the 7th pick or so. The top 5 cost way to much these days. It is just crazy.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I honestly think LB is our most secure position on D, if Diles gets back healthy.
    Outside of this season, and outside of that really bad PI last week, Greenwood has been putting up 100+ tackle seasons, I think 2nd on the team to Demeco.

My hopes at the beginning of the season was draft a safety, but we can pick one up in FA or in a later round. Let's roll the dice on a QB, or see what advice Morey has for us.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My preference would be that the Texans take the best D player on the board, with their first.

13. conquistador#11

I would love a cb or safety but those are positions that take time to adjust. keepig that in mind, i want a rb to compliment slaton.

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Trade AJ for a late first rounder. Grab the best defensive player. AJ has to be disgruntled by now.

With a top 5 pick you take Crabtree to instantly replace AJ.

15. Rockets2K3

Rockets2K3 Member

I'm fine w/ the offense...just the QB injuries worry me. I would draft a QB in the 3rd-5th rounds and develop.

Defense - we need another LB from the draft to replace Greenwood. Dump Weaver and use more of the Cochran/Bulman combination. CB future looks good w/ Bennett and Dunta. The Burnt Toast Brothers (Reeves and Faggins) need to go.

But I blame coaching for this team being crappy.

Kyle Shanahan gets a pass since it's his 1st year. And he isn't doing that bad....Kubiak needs to let the kid do his job.

On defense is where our problems lie. Jon Hoke is an idiot and needs to be replaced w/ someone who knows how to run the secondary. He's been given too many chances.

Then the obvious - PLEASE FIRE Richard Smith, upgrade Jethro, Frank Bush, or Rhodes to DEF COORD.

16. Breaker

Breaker Member

So it has come to this....

not surprising for a Texans fan. This has to be some sort of tradition, talking about the draft with 7 weeks left of the regular season.

Anyways, we need Rey-Rey on this team. He will bring the nasty, tough demeanor that our team been missing since forever. Put him at MLB, and slid Meco out to WLB with Adibi playing SLB after a full off-season with the S&C coach. Hopefully he get up to atleast 240.

17. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Do whatever you can to upgrade the secondary. That is the weakest part of the team by far. I would like to see Robinson back 100% physically and mentally next year with Jenkins on the other side of him. But if Robinson has lost a step move him to safety with Bennett or Molden playing with Jenkins.

18. gucci888

AJ is leading the league in receptions and receiving yards, as inconsistent our offense is, those are amazing stats. Trading AJ is trading away are best player, no thanks.

19. gucci888

I went ahead and added LBs to the list. As I stated, I'm not a big fan of Ray, but he does have that attitude that I would love to add to this team.

20. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Instead of Ray Lewis, J. Vilma is going to be an UFA this year. If he can show that the back is better he is only 26 and be a force for 5 years in the LB core with Ryans.