1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Terrence Jones helping Rockets more than survive without Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 11, 2015.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/11/terrence-jones-houston-rockets-dwight-howard-james-harden

1 person likes this.
  2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

great read!

can't believe we were ready to expend him

morey's ass has been saved numerous times now..

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Jones is huge for the success of this team. He's bulked up and if he can continue to rebound consistently, block shots, and eat up these mismatches then he will be a key factor in the playoffs

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Amazing what happens when we look to non-ESPN sources for Rockets-related takes.

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

To be fair, Dragic would have been nice to have. Jones hitting his 3s at a higher percentage has been a nice suprise.

There is seriously nobody more black and white when it comes to dominating the inferior opponents and looking scrubby against the teams and power forwards with good-great winning percentages. If he's evolved against the elite guys then Jones instantly becomes invaluable.

6. bmd

bmd Member

He said Jones had a back injury... I'm glad it's a positive article, but do these writers even research anything?

1 person likes this.
  7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Apparently Jones was out with a back problem this whole time... Shows what we know...

8. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Jones looks a lot stronger and Bulkier this year.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

ESPN would have become fixated on Dwight Howard half way through the story and spent the rest rambling about how he is no longer the player he used to be.

Refreshing article.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Apparently he hit the weight room hard during his injury.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The writer missed the 4th ability that makes Jones versatile--a sublime ability to handle the ball.

Actually we have another one on the team who plays like Jones but is less efficient--Josh Smith.

12. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

we'll see tonight when he defends Lamarcus Aldridge. We all know what happen last year, but I'm really looking forward to Josh Smith's defense on LA...great read btw

13. a711

a711 Member

also props to the coaching staff, they rarely get any credit on this forum. They are experimenting with lineups.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'll concede I was willing to let him go in a trade(well, until Moron Dragic said he wouldn't resign here). But I never thought he'd be this good this quickly. I'm not ready to say he's untouchable this offseason, but he would have to net a helluva player in return if he is dealt.

Question for fellow Rockets fans: Do you think T-Jones is capable of being the starter at the 4 long-term? Keep in mind who else plays that position in the Western Conference.

15. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Good stuff. There's no mention of shot alterations (I'm sure there's a stat for this). But that's probably why Howard has a much lower block rate than Jones. TJ seems like he takes people by surprise with his reach and quick leaping ability. I'd be interested to see a shot alteration % comparing howard and TJ.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wouldn't be too hard on T-Jones if he doesn't do a great job on Aldridge. That guy's been lighting up everyone lately. But they better not give Robin Lopez a bunch of layups and dunks off of double teams.

And please D-Mo, don't brick half a dozen free throws!

17. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

That's my only concern with Jones, on-ball defense against the big-name PF players. If he has improved on that, I agree that he becomes an "invaluable" player (as HouStu_Rocket posted earlier) for our roster. Thank You OP for posting the article! Great read indeed.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

BBholic faints.:grin:

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

50% chance he's not playing in the NBA if he doesn't get a mid range J soon....its a coin toss

20. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Bull and Cornbread have mentioned a few times T Jones' work in the weight room while he was sidelined. On the court he is playing much stronger. He's definitely earned his starting spot back for when Dwight returns.