1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN.COM] Now Shaq is on the trade block.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nolocke, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Nash is repeatedly reported as being untouchable, fuggedaboutit

3. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Read the article first, nobody on that team is safe. The Suns wants to clear 40 million in cap space this year into next. Only way for that to happen is to move the big guys and get back mostly expiring contracts.

4. shastarocket

WTF???

5. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

WTF is wrong with Phoenix? They might as well trade everyone on there team. We'll take Amare.

6. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Their owner is not doing so good financially and in my opinion is wanting to sell the team and at the same time save himself alot of money beforehand. Losing 40 million for the Rockets would be like losing Yao, T-mac, and Rafer all at the same time. It's a pretty big hit to a playoff contender. They won't be able to compete.

7. shastarocket

That is all the article talks about in reference to Nash. They can move 40 million by moving Amare and Shaq. Moving Barbosa wouldn't hurt either. Nash still has a few good yrs left in the tank as a serviceable starting PG on a championship contender. Either he will stay on the Suns or get traded a few yrs later. Steve Kerr knows how valuable Nash is

8. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Either Porter goes or Nash goes by the deadline, you can mark it on your calendar.

9. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Wholesale at Phoenix! everyone half-priced!!!!!!!

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Shaq and Nash are both off the books after next year. That's roughly $33M right there. Amare/Barbosa/J-Rich are all the guys to move if freeing up as much cap space as humanly possible is your goal.

11. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Thats what i'm saying! If we could actually get a decent point guard out of the deal this season would be looking more and more like a Championship year for the Rockets. Hell gimme Barbossa while you're at it too. I really think Kerr is trying to trade away all the Dantoni players, i mean look who the last two guys were that were shown the door(Diaw, Bell), both quality players helping out a struggling Bobcats. Bringing Shaq to a run and gun team was about the dumbest idea ever created and instead of Kerr admitting his mistake he would rather dismantle the team and say they are going young? I don't get it. Amare is only 26 how young do you want them Kerr? In my opinion they should build around Amare, I think he's earned at least that.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Here's a lengthy Bill Simmons article from last year about the Suns decline
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080501

So much to say here...WHAT are they trying to do with this team? They went from 1 big move away from contention, to all off a sudden wanting to shed 40 million dollars off payroll in one year?? The Grizzlies entire payroll is $52 mil. The Suns have basically the same payroll as the Rockets at $75 mil. And they want some young talent back. Talent they could have ALREADY had if they didnt sell all their draft picks?

Strange as it seems now, Shaq going to LA kinda makes sense now.

13. worzel gummidge

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

With Bynum down, could this be the final reunification?

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Stick a fork in that franchise. If the Suns had hired a decent coach, they might have avoided the J-Rich trade and be doing well this season. Steve Kerr won't be given the chance to completely become Matt Millen, but he's doing his best in a short time.

What really dooms the Suns is that Kerr looks safe when he should be #1 on the chopping block. Sarver should be given a sanity test if he allows Kerr to hire their next coach. Kerr needs to go so a new GM can start from scratch, with hiring a new coach being the first task.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

A lot of hype for this Sun's trade thing.

I bet at the end of the day Shaq,Amare, and Nash are still Sun's when the trade deadline is over.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

Why does everyone keep blame Kerr for the downfall of the Suns? It's my understanding that Sarver was the one who really wanted Shaq, and now it sounds like he's the one who wants to trim the payroll. That's not even mentioning all the horrible moves before Kerr arrived like letting Joe Johnson go then giving away Luol Deng, Nate Robinson, Rajon Rondo, Sergio Rodriguez, and Rudy Fernandez over the course of four consecutive drafts.

18. DreamRoxCoogFan

If I were the Rockets, I wouldn't want Nash- getting old, defensive liability, different system, etc.

19. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Shaq going back to LA would be unreal, but I don't think Kobe would want him to come back. He still wants that championship without Shaq.

20. worzel gummidge

The Suns are currently 9th in the WC and over LT by $4M. For a franchise that's given away players and first round picks just to get under LT in the recent past I'd say it's more than just hype.