1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Christie traffic scandal: An end to presidential plans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 8, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Chris Christie traffic scandal: An end to presidential plans?

E-mails indicate top aides to Chris Christie conspired to create traffic jams as political punishment. But the 'outraged' governor denied knowing of the scheme, vowing 'people will be held responsible.'

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is in big political trouble at the moment. If you haven’t heard, NorthJersey.com has published e-mails indicating that several top aides to Governor Christie conspired to create traffic jams on the George Washington Bridge, punishing the Democratic mayor of a nearby town who did not support Christie’s recent reelection.

The flap over the e-mails became frenzied enough that the plain-speaking Republican governor was moved to release a statement Wednesday afternoon disavowing the traffic scheme, saying he was "outraged" at the "inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct."

“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” one of the aides, Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly, reportedly had said in an e-mail to Port Authority employee and Christie associate David Wildstein.

As that missive indicates, the aides took a measure of vindictive glee in their handiwork, which involved closing access lanes to squeeze traffic back onto access roads. At one point the Fort Lee mayor complained that school buses were having trouble getting through the mess. In response, Wildstein counseled an associate to not feel bad about the kids’ plight.

“They are the children of Buono voters,” Wildstein wrote, according to NorthJersey.com. He was referring to Barbara Buono, the Democratic gubernatorial candidate Christie defeated in November.

link

1 person likes this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

faux scandal

I knew it was only a matter of time before the liberal media tried to take down what they view as a threat to Hillary

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Christian Science Monitor?

4. bigtexxx

lol CNN and HuffPo lead the charge first

put it this way: Hillary's scandal led to our ambassador getting killed and drug through the streets of Benghazi. Chistie's led to a traffic jam.

'nuff said

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Figures a bully would defend one of his kind.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't know if it's going to end his presidential bid, but he's going to be seriously damaged. It's now being reported that an old woman later died after the EMTs were delayed by the traffic jam. This isn't going away.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hillary, or one of her subordinates, ordered the attack?

8. bigtexxx

Where is the evidence that Christie was directly involved?

Traffic jam vs. Ambassador slaughtered and drug through the streets of Benghazi. You're not going to win this one, libs

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is devastating.

Possible recall or impeachment on tap according to my sources.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, but was the old woman dragged through the streets... of Benghazi?

Actually and honestly: I don't think this has legs outside of NY/NJ and the Washington Bridge. The governor didn't send the emails, and most of the country won't care about a traffic jam.

Now, if he gets run out of his current office over this, that's a different story.

i think this will go away, given the current cynicism about manufactured scandals.

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Is there evidence Christie orchestrated this? It might be all hidden to him, as I haven't heard that he was on any emails or anything. I know, I know, "how could he not know?!" Still, until I hear him directly linked, I'm not really going to forsake him for it. He seems like a less r****ded Republican, so I'd like to see him continue on a path to 2016.

Now, if there is evidence he was involved, that's a huge black mark. It's easy political fodder. "Who will Christie get revenge on if he gets elected President?" Right now he still has plausible deniability.

12. Depressio

Agree.

Aaaand back to ridiculous stupidity. So close, tex, so close.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I doubt this will end Christie's presidential plans, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if it did.

14. mc mark

The tea party agrees with you.

15. mc mark

Two days ago he was saying no one in his office was involved and how dare anyone insinuate otherwise.

Now we know that was a lie. Now his buddy David Wildstein, that ran Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, is filing a lawsuit to block himself from testifying in an investigation of the whole thing.

Christie Pal Files Last-Minute Lawsuit To Avoid Testifying In Bridge Scandal

drip drip drip

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I'd still vote for him over any other Republican and most Democrats.

17. Depressio

How do you know it was a lie, though? Are you sure he wasn't just ignorant of the whole thing? Maybe the same lie he fed to the media about why the lanes were closed was told to him by his aides when he asked about it. Seems pretty far-fetched, but it's still plausible deniability to me. Not that such ignorance is excusable anyway, but it's certainly possible even at high levels (see: Obama and IRS).

18. bigtexxx

Obama and IRS, Hillary and Benghazi, Obama and Healthcare.gov website, etc.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Christie is a bully and an ass. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is true.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's a whole lot of context about Christie and his close henchman (these peopleare inner circle) being vindictive score settlers. This is pretty damning and " I don't know nothing!" Isn't plausible and goes against his image anyway.

Tip of the iceberg.