1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the league sign off on a 4 year contract for a 38 year old?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

crispee, I spoke to the Mrs. about my great idea on how to spend our $600.00 @ circuit city and she shot it down.

But back to the question, would a 4 year deal for Dream ever get signed off on by the league? It seems as if there's precedent (though I don't know what it is [​IMG]) to think that they'd never approve a team apparently trying to get past the CBA.

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

2. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Have you seen the latest write up from Toronto, they claim a 5 year contract has been offered to Dream...........................................

Raptors admit they're seriously pursuing Hakeem (The Dream) Olajuwon
    Jul. 20, 2001. 03:10 PM

Lori Ewing
    TORONTO (CP) - While the Toronto Raptors have re-signed all three of their free agents, the NBA club continues its chase of veteran centre Hakeem (the Dream) Olajuwon.

Toronto has made an offer to the veteran free agent, a former NBA MVP, and is the leading candidate to land the centre if he does not re-sign with the Houston Rockets.

``It's an honour that a player of Hakeem Olajuwon's stature would consider playing for Toronto,'' Toronto GM Glen Grunwald said Friday, confirming the contract offer. ``But there's nothing to report on that front.''

Toronto has offered Olajuwon a five-year deal worth $22 million US, according to the Houston Chronicle. That works out to $4.5 million US a year - the most the Raptors can offer under their salary cap.

The Rockets, according to the Chronicle, were offering a one-year, $4.1-million US contract offer. The Rockets have been limited in what they could financially offer Olajuwon while still saving salary-cap room for free-agent forwards Maurice Taylor and Shandon Anderson.

Reports said Raptors coach Lenny Wilkens spoke with Olajuwon, and his agent Dan Fegan in Houston on Tuesday.

The Raptors would be a formidable force if they did acquire Olajuwon. His presence, for one, allowing Toronto all-star centre Antonio Davis to move back to his natural position of power forward.

``I think it would be great,'' said Davis, who officially signed a five-year, $64-million US contract with Toronto on Friday. ``I would be like a young kid all over again. I used to watch him a lot, everything that he does is something I try to imitate.''

Toronto first tried to land the seven-foot Olajuwon two seasons ago but were unsuccessful. The 38-year-old, who's played all 17 years of his professional career with Houston, reportedly made $17.5 million US last season.

The Raptors have some breathing room in their payroll - around $5 million US - after trading disgruntled Charles Oakley, who was earning $6.5 million US, to the Chicago Bulls for Brian Skinner and a second-round draft pick.Olajuwon, who led the Rockets to NBA titles in 1994 and '95, missed 24 games last season because of a blood disorder.

------------------

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is definitely a loop hole condition.

yeah, I find it questionable. I recall seeing something in the CBA about a 36 yr old Vet contract, but I don't remember anything about it.

My guess is that the contract would have to forfeit any pay if the player retires or doesn't perform under certain guidelines.

barbour,

610 AM just reported that is not true. It is a 2yr MCE that Toronto is offering. Maybe is has already been shot down.

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

1) it looks to me like toronto is just making a desperate attempt, spending as much money as possible to try to field a winner and maybe get basketbal to work in canada.

2) I have to wonder how much of this is just misinformation out there. it's times like this that make guys like vescey and blinebury just seem like complete puppets and gossip-mongers, doing the bidding of the dan fecal's and the david falk's out there.

------------------
    houston rockets = 2
    utah jazz = 0

5. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

6. Live

Live Member

Hope you're right about the 610 report, HeyP.

But IF Toronto is offering Dream A 4YR CONTRACT!!,...

...it's been a treat rooting for you, Dream. Hope you like Canada.

And I've been a Dream fan since Phi Slamma Jamma, copied his moves growing up, posters in my bedroom, the works.

I don't know about you, but I got my eye towards 2 years from now, hoping that the Rocks can sign a certain All-NBA PF\C in San Antonio.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Live (edited July 20, 2001).]

7. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah barbour, there is confusion. I definitely not questioning that a 4yr was reported. I'm just saying it was just now reported to be only a 2yr.

Now could you delete that long link in your post. It is causing this thread to scroll off the screen.

thx

9. JAG

JAG Member

Re: Long term contract for older player approved by league...I didn't know that could be an issue..Has the league approved Mutombo's long-term deal?

------------------

10. cson

cson Contributing Member

I think the league will love this thing...it'll help cement the NBA a bit in Canada.........

------------------
    www.expage.com/saveourunis