1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Roster Reload: Rockets should chase Love or Aldridge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, May 27, 2015.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The fact that the rockets got to the western conference finals in a injury plagued year definetely makes them very attractive IMO. Im not a huge fan of Love but he's a rebounding machine and when the Rockets rebound they win. The need for a smart playmaking PG far out weighs the need for a PF, the idiotic turnovers this team committed was just to frustrating to watch and to throw it all on Harden is just to much. And a real defensive coach is still sorely needed in the worst way, missing defensive rotations ect, was almost comical.

2. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

McDaniels is expendable. Ideally we keep Brewer and Ariza

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

*** no Love is stat padder

I'm not giving up Ariza

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We need a motion offense and someone else besides James to run a PnR with that can finish.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The thing that really stuck with me through the 3 playoff series is how hard we had to we had to work to score versus how it easy it seemed for the pure shooters to score. Not that we didn't outwork Dallas and eventually LA but it took a lot more energy. There may never be the kind of shooting the Warriors have on any other team but we need to be able to hit 3's from the top and one move drives from midrange easier. Jason Terry does that now but it would be ideal if we could add a taller, younger player to fill that role. You might get the same result from a shooting 4 but I like our young combo and I think Smith made commendable contribution in the playoffs , foul shooting aside.

So, we need a taller, pure shooting PG, who can guard the plethora of great PG's in the West. Ha, good luck Murrey!

6. ktex

ktex Member

LMA will be 30 in a month. No thanks on a 4-5 year deal that will have him almost as old as Terry when it's up.

7. Rocket_Man_2.0

And how many championships will we have by the time he reaches that age 1,2,3? Aldridge is not like Howard...his game isn't based off athleticism. He's more like Dirk/Duncan..he's uses his height/skills do get his shot. Howard is 30 also...Rockets need to go all in while Howard still good. Players who can shoot tend to age better.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Would prefer someone younger, but I'd take Aldridge over Love (who I now see as a less successful Chris Bosh ie a above average big man who appears great when working on a bad team where he is the focus).

Hopefully, we can get Smith back for another year or find some hot rookie in the draft that can come in and do work.

9. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

Love is garbage. Ariza definitely a better option.

With Aldrige and an average PG like Ty Lawson we can go VERY FAR!

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

keep everybody, give them one more shot, practice free throw like hell for smith and Capela, i think they can still improve, DH will be the same, we need a healthy roster next year, i believe we can beat GS for sure

11. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

People don't realise the value of Ariza..he guards the opponent's best player every night, on a cheap contract. I'm sure morey won't rush into any deal

12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I'm not a huge fan of having 2 of our stars at 30, making me weary of LMA (who I don't think would consider Houston anyway), and I sure as hell don't want to give up Ariza or DMo, making Love almost impossible.

DMo is not the talent that Klay is but note: Warriors had a chance to do Love for Klay swap but believed in their guy and additional cap room, decided to bolster their bench and it paid off. DMo came a LONG way this year, I want to see him with a full offseason as the sure starter. Bolster the bench like GS or grab a PG upgrade, but don't sacrifice our future for 2 flawed stars.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

and both of those guys (Love and LMA) are coming from surgeries..

14. monster

monster Member

I'm not counting on a discount from jSmoove.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Haven't seen this mentioned. If true, it's a big freaking deal because Brew is a steal at $4.9 mil.

Also...why on earth would we trade Ariza (our best defender) for anything less than a third star? Dude will be making like $7.5 mil the last two years of his contract and does a lot of things well ...indeed, another steal.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'd consider moving Ariza to free up room for Love or Aldridge. You could then maybe dangle Jones or our pick for a sign and trade of Aminu.

Beverley / Terry / Jones
    Harden / McDaniels
    Aminu / (Brew?)
    Aldridge / Dmo
    Howard / Capella

17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'd trade Jones, Ariza, Dorsey, Nick Johnson, and Pablo for Love. Cleveland would probably take that if Love tells them he's leaving anyway.

Then I'd use our draft picks on a PG and a SF.

I'd also resign Beverley, Terry, and Brewer, but let Smith walk.

Finally, I'd use the whole MLE on Llull.

PG: Beverley/Terry/draft pick
    SG: Harden/Llull
    SF: Brewer/Pap/draft pick
    PF: Love/D-Mo
    C: Howard/Capela

The downgrade from Ariza to Brewer could be alleviated by making the right draft pick. And Llull and Love would be huge upgrades over Pablo and Smith/Jones.

On Josh Smith, just too inconsistent to trust with a large role. Have no minutes for him if you've got Love and D-Mo.

Final thought: I truly believe that Kevin Love's availability is a factor behind McHale's new contract. Just speculation though.

18. verysimplejason

Tristan Thompson. He's a better choice, cheaper and younger.

19. ibm

ibm Member

not too fond of lma. not that he aint very good. i just feel it wont be money well spent.

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Too bad we cut Covington :p