1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nike+ Fuel Band

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Feb 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

3. Scionxa

Awww man, no Android support :(

If you have an iPhone though, it will work via bluetooth

4. le081488

le081488 Member

I have a Nike + sportband which tracks my runs with pace calories etc for under 50 and i've used it for basketball by tying the chip to the shoelaces it works well but for over 150 with tax I don't know if I'll be switching to the fuelband. It would have to do all the above and give me a precise heartrate. I'm not sure how accurate it would be though as far as distances and pacing goes unless it has some sorry of GPS billy in like the Nike + app for the iPhone.

Sucks, now got confirmation from Nike, not worth it then:

Hi Jimmy- Thanks for asking. You've come to the right place. The Nike+ FuelBand will track your calories, time, steps and NikeFuel. It is not designed to replace the Nike+ SportBand. While it can we worn while running, it will not track your mileage and pace like the SportBand. The Nike+ FuelBand does not track speed, and runs all day verses capturing specific moments in time. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thank You,
    The Nike Fuel Team

so:
    This is what I said earlier and early reports is no trackage of mileage or pace ran, just calories burned and "Fuel" burned calculated by Nike. Definite pass now since all that is subjective and the only thing Nike is really basing those 2 measurements on from your body is your weight/height which means most likely not that accurate.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm skeptical on how accurate this really is...a lot of these things never are, like the kind on treadmills (i realize it doesn't measure the same thing)

If it's not accurate, you're going to have people talking about how they burned 5000 calories during their 3 mile run :rolleyes:

6. le081488

le081488 Member

That's the thing, it's not taking in HR, pace, mileage, but rather it works on your weight, height, etc to calculate it's own measure of what you burned nike "Fuel"

That's why I'm not leaning towards it. 150+ Tax nah, ill stick with my nike+ sportband which for a runner is better since it tracks mileage, pacing, etc and if you just play ball, just buy a shoe pouch and it works just as well.

7. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Shouldnt you be studying? :confused:

8. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

So they came out on the February 22nd and have already sold out. Does anyone know how long it will be before we can get one?

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably once they figure out it's almost useless...i believe fallon had it on his show and he shook his wrist for a few seconds and "burned" like 40 calories, or whatver units they use. SMH...

10. Scionxa

11. TISNF

TISNF Member

Can anyone compare this to the Jawbone's UP?

12. le081488

le081488 Member

That's the thing it's "NikeFuel", their own made up fuel. I would prefer the Nike+ sportband if you are a runner. Tracks pacing, calories, mileage on the watch to keep you motivated during your run instead of an unknown "fuel"

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thats precisely why i dont get the hype behind it...clearly people think it's counting calories, but i didn't expect this many to buy into it.

14. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Didn't want to start a new thread. Was looking at the Jawbone UP. I like that it works with Android (necessity) as opposed to just iOS. I also prefer it to the Fitbit as I don't wear a watch (or a bra...) and don't want to have the thing in my pocket all day.

I realize these trackers are a little gimmicky but I don't mind that. I've gotten into poor fitness and diet habits of late and a ubiquitous reminder of fitness goals sounds like a step in the right direction. Does anyone have experience with UP? Anything good or bad you can share?

15. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I have the SE and I love it. Constant motivator.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, I bought one back in Nov. I just wish that it tracked weightlifting more accurately.

17. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

My wife has Withings Pulse and that is cheaper than this. It also tracks your sleep and is compatible with Android.
    http://www.withings.com/pulse

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You're better off getting a chest strap HRM to count calories while working out. Only exception would be the MIO Alpha.

http://www.mioglobal.com/Default.aspx

For someone that wants to count calories accurately based on your resting heart rate as well as track sleeping patterns 24/7, you're better off getting a Basis B1 than the Nike Fuel+. It actually does real time tracking of calories burnt, good deep REM sleep, your heart rate up to 70% of your maximum heart rate then it goes to an algorithm based on your weight, height, age, etc that all other sports bands do.

http://www.mybasis.com/

Right now the basis b1 is the best in terms of real time stats however people have reported it doesn't sync to iphone as easily as it does android support due to a hardware technicality and it has trouble syncing to home desktops on both Apple and Windows machines. That said, the stats it gives are tremendous if you're a stat geek and its all in real time.

The other knock against the Basis B1 is again during intense cardio workout sessions like running you're not going to get accurate stats. If you get a chest strap heart rate monitor for your workout sessions, and combine it with the basis b1, you're going to get the most accurate stats on your calories burnt, steps taken, good REM sleep, and actual heart rate.

I'd recommend the Fitbit since its cheaper but people are repeating it's giving them rashes after months of wearing it.

I'd personally wait until the market comes up with a better product that's water resistant, gives real time stats in sedentary and intense workout states, is dockable to a usb charge, app and stat friendly on desktop machines and apps on android and iOS, accurately measures steps taken, has a food log for calories consumed in a day and calories burnt, can tell when I'm riding a bicycle or when I'm doing some other activity all accurately.

The key word being accurate. Most of these things aren't. The one sort of exception to the rule is the Basis B1.

19. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Looking at Basis and their documentation, you have to sync it via USB.
    No Bluetooth support for Android/iOS
    FAIL (if that is the case)

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Fitbit Force is more highly rated across the board. Syncs to your phone whenever you open the app and lasts a week before needing a USB recharge.