1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Chron] Murphy thinks Brooks could be 'great point guard'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wombat, Jan 20, 2010.

1. wombat

wombat Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6825420.html

2. RocketMania1991

He is the best current active player on our roster in my opinion.

3. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Very smart man. Wish they would bring him back to replace Drexler.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BRING BACK CALVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

From wombat and the Chronicle:

“I think he will be a great point guard. I was a real good point guard. I could never be a great point guard. My position was ‘put the ball in the basket.' I was most comfortable with shooting. This young man can go anywhere he wants to go if they realize where they want him to be and help him work on it.”

If Brooks remains a scorer, Murphy said he can improve there, too. The next step Murphy suggests — as Rockets coach Rick Adelman has often said — is to add more mid-range scoring.

“My game was predicated on middle distance,” Murphy said. “Now, everybody shoots the long ball. ... Once Aaron Brooks has that (middle distance) mentality and that game, it will be hell of a day to guard him.

“I would back off and give him all outside shots he wants. If he plays middle distance, there would be nothing you could do. He has great timing against a defense. By the time you do something, he's doing something else.”

Cool. Thanks for the find, wombat. I've been wanting Brooks to develop more of a mid-range game like Murph's for a long time. Calvin laid it all out perfectly. He was deadly from midrange. Just unreal, and he knew it and used it. Murph scored 57 points in a game with the Rockets once. I think Brooks has that kind of game to uncork someday. He'll never be Calvin Murphy on the court, but he can be Aaron Brooks, with a nice dose of Murphy in his game.

You know how much of a kick it is to watch Brooks when he's really on? Hitting treys from 2 or 3 feet behind the line, tossing up beautiful floaters, layups from every direction. Using his amazing quickness to separate in an instant, then stop and pop. He needs to do more of the last. Calvin had all that game and more, while shooting around 49-50% from the floor. Brooks has the passion Calvin had on the court. You've seen the fire in his eyes and the anger he keeps on a leash after he's been hammered more than mortal man should bear. Calvin was that in spades. Murph regularly got kicked out of games every season, averaging more than 4 DQs a season for his career (and he got away with murder!). He played in a much tougher league, with much more contact, lots of scuffles and fights. Murph had a rep as a fighter, and a good one. I saw a few. He was so freakin' quick! A lot of action and all the while they were scoring 120-130 points a night, sometimes more, and their opponent would too. Just a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Did my heart good to read that from Murphy. I hope Brooks is paying attention. :cool:

6. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

I miss Calvin. I hope he can provides Brooks some tutorial in the summer.

7. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

The Rockets should really find some kind of way to use the knowledge and experience they have in their own back yard with Murph. Broadcast, assistant coach, anything....

8. foo82

foo82 Member

Thats what I've been thinking all along. He needs to rely on his pullup midrange jump shot more often.

9. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Calvin can say some pretty crazy ridiculous things, but he's dead on about Brooks.

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Great article, Calvin is great!

Man wouldn't it be great if AB turns into a great point guard one day, i mean he was drafted late in the first, great pick by Morey.

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

When AB is on it really does seem like he can hit shots from anywhere on the court, very fun to watch. Sometimes its hard to believe he's only a 3rd year player so it gets really frustrating seeing him run into trees.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

They need to bring him back as a bench coach to help AB become that great Point he is speaking of.

13. Rox-Oso

Rox-Oso Member

All in favor of Calvin comin back 2 replace Drexler!

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Pretty much what i said after brooks rookie year. He has a special gift that can be used in this league that very few can defend. Once he gets comfortable changing speeds and then pulling up, he will be very,very hard to guard. He has it in his game already, he just doesn't use it enough. Also, he could use traffic or wash outs as a great way to get to the basket.When i say washout or traffic, watch tony parker. They get the rebound and he's on the push, the break is stopped somewhat and duncan and the other bigs are getting into play. Duncan runs or trots down the middle as is mcdyess and the other players, parker is probing and hiding behind them. Once his guy gets rubbed a little or caught in the wash, parker explodes to the basket. Parker will get alot of points every game off those situations. The refs never call illegal pick because the big is kinda trotting to his place, but its a very good strategy.

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

The legend speaks. Where are those Aaron haters? I know Kenny Smith spoke very high of AB too.

16. acefan18

acefan18 Member

*raising my hand*

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The AB haters will come, but obviously this is just an excellent article that says what I am sure a lot of Brooks fans have sort of believed. The kid has a lot of promise and could be a great PG for us for a while.

19. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Every time the game is on the line, Brooks has the ball at top of the key, I always think he should stop and pop and shoot the pullup jumper instead of dribbling penetration into the paint and wanna draw some contact and wish to get a call in the closing seconds.

Calvin just tells the truth and hope Brooks would learn to be one of the great ones in a short time. :grin:

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

Brooks can be to Rox point guards what Otis Thorpe was to Rox power forwards. He can be a key ingredient in a championship team and an occasional allstar...not a Paul or Parker (their finishing ability is far beyond Brooks' and those shots and threat of such comprises much of their games), but a small notch below them. Put simply, they just get easier shots/layups, have always known they can, and have predicated their games on that ability. AB's game is predicated on going outside/in so he'll always have a lower success rate than those elite PGs. He shoots to set up the drive. There's nothing wrong with that, but just as OT didn't have the raw athleticism of Barkley or Malone, that allowed them to be absolutely unstoppable scorers and HOF-type players, Brooks' preference to bomb first and scorch-earth last will keep him out of the true upper echelon.

That said, I love having AB on the team, and am convinced he can be that championship PG for us and someday have his # hanging from the rafters. He has just enough of a chip on his shoulder to never back down from competition...any competition...and that can be infectious on a team.

So all the proposed AB trades I read on cf.net are an absolute "no" unless it will net us a Drexler in return (as Thorpe did). It would have to bring that key piece, HOF piece, to the Bayou City or else I think we'll end up deeply regretting it. Hey Calvin! Give me some cookies!!