1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Rockets fans believe two things

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fromobile, Feb 19, 2000.

1. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

I think every real Rockets fan believes two things. First off, we need a new stadium in order to keep the Rockets. The second thing is that even though we want the stadium, we know that we really don’t need it and wish they would stay at the summit. There is no such thing as a Bigger and Better Stadium. If you’ve ever been to the Alamodome you know this.
    I’m just sick and tired of people like Matress Mack and some of the people on this board implying that a new stadium would improve the viewing pleasure of the fans, because I think it can only put you farther away and less happy.

[This message has been edited by fromobile (edited February 19, 2000).]

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

A new stadium does not necessarily mean bigger. Just look at the Conseco Field House in Indianapolis or the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. They combine the combonation of modern luxuries and traditional simplicity and are simply works of art. While the Summit has history and memories that are simply priceless, a new stadium would could be the beginning of new memories and add another dimension to the city. The trick is to build the right stadium that is big enough to keep up with the rest of the league and generate revenue, but cozy and intimate enough for the die-hard fans. If the Rockets play in places such as the airport-like Staples Centre or the gargantuan United Centre, then I would prefer the Summit, but anything remotely like the the Conseco Field House would be a thing of beauty.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, the proposed downtown arena would only be slightly bigger than the Compaq Center. The Laptop holds 16,200 and change. The new arena would hold 18,300 and change.

The primary difference in seating would be that the luxury suites would be in between the lower seats and the upper deck. They planned on designing the sight lines just like the Laptop, which, by the way, has some of the best sight lines in all of basketball.

Don't worry too much about a new arena not measuring up to Compaq. Chances are, when you see the new one for the first time, you'll wonder why you ever liked the Summit in the first place.

BTW: the Alamodome was never designed for basketball. It was a failed attempt to lure the NFL. The new arena will be much more basketball-friendly. Honestly, I still loved Hemisfair Arena. It was hot and crowded and way too loud, but you knew you had been to a game when you went there.

------------------
    "Society always honors its live conformists and its dead non-conformistis."