1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Billups will become unrestricted free agent July 1

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Luckyazn, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

link

Billups will become unrestricted free agent July 1
    By Chris Sheridan

Updated: June 25, 2007, 11:33 AM ET

Chauncey Billups officially opted out of his contract Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

"Chauncey's first intention is to come back to Detroit, and we'll continute to explore that as an option, but if we're unable to make a deal with the Pistons my obligation is to look at other possibilities that will provide long-term security for Chauncey and his family," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com.

Billups was due to make $6,819,000 next season in the final year of his contract, which had an early termination option.

Pistons president Joe Dumars has consistently said he is confident the Pistons will be able to re-sign Billups, whose negotiating leverage will be impacted by the small number of teams with significant salary cap space.

Milwaukee and Memphis are two teams with cap space and a need for a point guard, but neither team is expected to have enough space to make a better offer than the one Billups will get from Detroit.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

That's the PG we need!! Head/Battier/#26

2. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You win by a minute!

My money is on him in Detroit. Who else can afford him? He isn't sounding like he's forcing a sign and trade. And, this year's playoffs aside, he's a top 5 PG year-in, year-out.

Finally, I'd guess Detroit woudl prefer to let him walk then do Head/Battier/#26...that really doesn't help that team.

4. Laozi

Laozi Member

Hello Bobcats?

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. He'll probably be back in Detroit. I really can't see him going to any of the teams that actually have the cap room to offer him more money and I doubt he'll take the MLE somewhere for a chance to win. He already has about as good a shot of winning as he would have anywhere else he could go.

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I predict he's going somewhere in the West thats the thing to do these days.

7. Laozi

Laozi Member

I kid about him maybe going to the Bobcats, but he will probably be back with the Pistons. They need to move some pieces this year, but Billups isn't one of them. I just wonder how close to max dollars he gets

8. God's Son

God's Son Member

he is a very good player but may have already peeked and can only go down from here so detroit should not overpay him. would love for the rockets to have him but i know thats not happening unless he says he wants to play here and we work a sign and trade.

9. shoes529

shoes529 Member

Billups opts out of contract

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2915747

Updated: June 25, 2007, 11:33 AM ET

Chauncey Billups officially opted out of his contract Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

Chauncey Billups

Point Guard
    Detroit Pistons

2007 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    70 17.0 3.4 7.2 .427 .883

"Chauncey's first intention is to come back to Detroit, and we'll continute to explore that as an option, but if we're unable to make a deal with the Pistons my obligation is to look at other possibilities that will provide long-term security for Chauncey and his family," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com.

Billups was due to make $6,819,000 next season in the final year of his contract, which had an early termination option.

Pistons president Joe Dumars has consistently said he is confident the Pistons will be able to re-sign Billups, whose negotiating leverage will be impacted by the small number of teams with significant salary cap space.

Milwaukee and Memphis are two teams with cap space and a need for a point guard, but neither team is expected to have enough space to make a better offer than the one Billups will get from Detroit.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

...man i wish we could have him

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

His playoff performance really affected my opinion of him. I think it's all downhill from now on and the old Chauncey is gone, except for a few moments here and there. The Pistons have to overpay him because letting him walk away for nothing would kill their team.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Just to make this happen, i will throw in Rafer/Head for Billups,just make room for Bonzi/Vspan on rotation. Salary should work out pretty good.

12. uchlha

uchlha Member

lol and detroit does this why

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

duh, b/c vspan is like kobe but instead of being accused of rape, he is greek.

14. University Blue

VSpan doesn't have problems with the ladies.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

6.8 mil for next year, no wonder he ops out.

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I don't think we need him?

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Wow, you're gracious enough to be willing to throw in Rafer and Head?

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

thats great freaking news

Alston, James, Head and future 1st for Billups

dooo it!

19. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I asked Vspan how he does it and said something like the proof is in the hotd_g!

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if atlanta is ever serious about putting together a good team, billups would help them out a lot. Get a veteran to lead those young guys plus finally getting a PG.