1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Television Broadcaster Lineup - TNT, ESPN, ABC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For those that care.... Nice article below about the Broadcaster lineup this year for TNT, ESPN and ABC.

TNT's broadcasters look real solid this year. As for ESPN and ABC, they still have some work to do but I LOVE the fact that they took Stewy Scott out of the host chair and put Frazier in there full time. I thought Frazier, Anthony, Laimbeer and Steven A Smith did a great job on the pregame show last Friday night. It looks much more PROFESSIONAL than last years version. Remember Tim Hardaway? Remember Boo Ya Scott? Just unwatchable! It was like they were trying to make it TOO Hip Hop. Nice to see they went the "Professional" route this year.

Good to see Sean Elliott get a promotion, he did well for them last year. And while I generally dont mind Walton and Tolbert good to see that they are on ESPN versus ABC. They are better suited for the ESPN telecasts and audiences with their "style" of color comentating.

Anyway, here is the article....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...11.column?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

The Talking Points All Favor TNT
    Larry Stewart

October 28, 2003
    The NBA is calling this "Premiere Week" because so many players and coaches will be with new teams when the season opens tonight.
    There have also been changes galore among the network announcing teams.
    TNT beefed up its already dominant lineup by adding Doug Collins, regarded by many as the best game commentator in the business, and Steve Kerr, a rookie broadcaster who is already better than most.

Comparing TNT to the NBA's other major television carrier, the Disney entry of ABC-ESPN, is like comparing the league's Eastern and Western conferences. TNT is the dominant Western Conference.

ABC-ESPN has done a lot of shuffling and scrambling in an effort to catch up.

The most significant move was persuading Al Michaels to add NBA play-by-play to his ABC workload. The plan was to pair him with Collins, who became available after he was fired as coach of the Washington Wizards. But Collins signed with TNT.

Michaels still doesn't have a partner. ABC's NBA coverage won't begin until Christmas Day, though, so there is time. But who's left? Isiah Thomas? He'd be an NBC retread, and one who was generally panned by critics.

Bill Walton, Tom Tolbert and Sean Elliott are presumably out of the running, having been given ESPN assignments.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, has said he wants the ABC and ESPN telecasts to be distinctive, and that means separate announcing teams. No more crossing over, as was the case last season.
    Brad Nessler, lead play-by-play announcer for both ABC and ESPN last season, will be lead play-by-play announcer for only ESPN this season. He'll be joined by Elliott, who was promoted after a solid performance last season, and Dan Majerle, who formerly worked for TNT.

Walton and Tolbert, on the lead team last season, have been demoted. Walton will work with new play-by-play man Mike Breen, a New York Knick announcer who worked for NBC as well. Tolbert will be part of a team that includes Mike Tirico on play-by-play and new commentator George Karl.

ESPN's courtside reporters will be newcomer Doris Burke, a former Providence player who has worked in local television in the Northeast; Jim Gray, Stuart Scott and Michele Tafoya.

Kevin Frazier will be ESPN's main studio host. Greg Anthony, one of the few bright spots for ESPN last season, returns in an expanded role and will be joined by newcomers Bill Laimbeer, who has done game analysis for the Detroit Pistons, and Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Stephen A. Smith.

Frazier will also return as host of ESPN2's weekly "NBA FastBreak Tuesday," which debuts next week. Frazier will be joined by Tim Legler, who was on the show last year, and Anthony.

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I guess that will make some people happy.

3. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Stephen A. Smith is a FREAKING MORON. I cant stand this idiot, he is worse than freakin' Bill Walton.

4. jeff from vandy

jeff from vandy Contributing Member

Yeah, he tries way too hard to be controversial... a poor man's Barkley... scratch that... he is just as bad as Micheal Irvin and Deon...

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

yeah how long before Bill lambier clocks that dude...

6. goophers

goophers Member

I hate Steven Smith. With a passion.

Does that mean that the courtside dredlocked guy (I think he was a reporter for the X-Games previously) is gone? I never particularly cared for him, either.

7. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

I think Doug Collins is terrible. Does anyone else or is this unique to me?

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Steven A. Smith is the worst analyst I have ever seen. Even worst than non English speakers Tim Hardaway, Isiah Thomas, and Cynthia Cooper. The way his voice fluctuates gets on my nerves.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It might just be unique to you. Doug Collins is one of the greatest color commentators in any sport ever.

If you don't appreciate him as a basketball analyst, who do you appreciate? Murphy? Walton?

Collins and Fratello have long been the standard, and Collins finally got the chance to show what he could do on the national stage with Costas at NBC in 97 and 98. Too bad they paired him with bumbling idiot Isiah Thomas as well...

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Watching TNT, man, I love Barkley. I wish I could hang with all those guys actually, I bet they are a load of fun to watch a game with.

Anybody here from San Antonio, wtf is up with your announcer's voice? I haven't heard our new guy, so I can't joke too much, but damn, he sounds like he's on the verge of crying or something.

That LeBron James Nike commercial was extremely stupid.

11. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I love Barkely on the halftime show, but my favorite commentator team is Marv-elous and the Czar. They can make any game fascinating and the Czar is a basketball encyclopedia who speaks in terms the everyday fan can appreciate. Who can beat Marv for play-by-play? "Yessssssss.......and it counts!"

Doug Collins is nearly as good an analyst and I do like admit to liking Danny Ainge from time to time. But Walton and Tolbert are terrible! I would turn it down and listen to the play-by-play online (since my big screen is in my guy room with my computer).

12. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Scratch that.....Marv-elous reading the phone book would be interesting. :D

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Thalia is f*cking(;)) sexy and all, but couldn't they get a more well known artist. I remember last year it was Santana with Michelle Branch, that was awesome.

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I am thrilled they broke up Walton and Tolbert. Tolbert is a joke, as far as I'm concerned, seemed he always dragged Walton into endless arguments that led nowhere.

Now if they could pair Al Micheals with Bill Walton that would be some seriously entertaining basketball announcing.

Doug Collins is an excellent announcer.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Marv a lot as well. He was witty, funny, and solid as a commentator. I don't think I like the Czar from what I've seen of his peronality, but I do think he's decent as announcer.

I'll admit Walton could be funny, but more often was moronic.

Tolbert, is just there to be colorful.

I like Doug Collins.

As far as local announcers go, I love Gene Peterson. He's the best. Total homer, and hilarious because of it.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

what channel is the mavs lakers game on tonight?

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Two thoughts:

1) Thalia is big in Spanish speaking countries. San Antonio has a large population of Spanish speakers.

2) The PA guy for the Spurs is Stan Kelly. I think he is still the PA guy for UT basketball. He sounds like he's crying or having his nads squeezed.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

pretty much. i love murph and outside of bill and calvin (and maybe marv) walton is my favorite guy to be doing a game. i just can't stand collins. maybe it was b/c he was always sucking up to the lakers, but whatever it was, i never liked him. of course he is eleventy billion times better than isiah and if God likes me, he'll make sure thomas never sees a booth again.

marv and the czar are great (and jvg with them was even better i thought), walton and tolbert i liked (guess it's an acquired taste), and tirico's ok (though he seems to get too excited too often).

steven smith always pisses me off, mostly b/c he thinks he's God's gift to basketball knowledge and takes umbrage with anything anybody questions him about. if he was half as smart as he thinks he is he would be good.

i never had problem with stuart scott doing his show (thought hardaway was obviously terrible) but i like kevin too so that's alright.

i almost don't even know what to think of michaels doing games. he's great at everything else he does, but it'll just be weird having him call a basketball game.

and then obviously the crown jewel of everything is the ernie, kenny, and chuckster halftime and postgame shows. they never disappoint.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes, Sal Masakela or something like that. He is gone. He was part of the "Boo Ya" presentation of the NBA on ESPN. He has been axed just like Hardaway last year and Stew Scott going to reporting instead of hosting. Just good moves all the way around!