1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley, Eurocup MVP to join our Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 23, 2012.

1. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Nice article. I like the things he and his mom said. Seem very level headed and hard working.

2. just a word

just a word Member

oh this team...:grin:

3. teebone21

teebone21 Member

twitter says he is practicing with team now and is official a rocket. I forgot how to post the tweet from JF

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Patrick Beverley, to be assigned to D-League,said "I’ve been playing in Ukraine, Greece, Russia. I can play a couple hours away if need be."</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/288429085166800896" data-datetime="2013-01-07T23:37:07+00:00">January 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hey Royce White, this is what a pro sounds like

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Press release on the Beverley signing and assignment to the D-League.
    <HR>
    Rockets Sign Patrick Beverley

HOUSTON – Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has signed guard Patrick Beverley to a multi-year deal. Beverley will be assigned to Houston’s single-affiliation NBA D-League partner the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. To make room on the roster, the Rockets have waived guard Scott Machado.

Beverley (6-1, 185, Arkansas) comes to the Rockets from Spartak St. Petersburg in Russia, where he earned Eurocup MVP for the 2011-12 season and 2012 All-Eurocup First-Team honors. He originally played two seasons at Arkansas before leaving school to sign a professional contract with BC Dnipro of the Ukrainian UBL for the 2008-09 season. Beverley was then drafted by the L.A. Lakers in the second round (42nd overall) of the 2009 NBA Draft and later traded to the Miami Heat. He decided to stay in Europe and signed with Olympiakos in Greece on Aug. 26, 2009. He again joined the Heat for the 2010 NBA Summer League and was signed by Miami on Aug. 2, 2010. Beverley was waived by the Heat at the end of training camp on Oct. 25, 2010.

As a collegian, Beverley was named SEC Freshman of the Year and earned Second-Team All-SEC honors in 2006-07. A 2008 Wooden Award and Naismith Trophy candidate, he started 33 of 35 games as a sophomore, ranking first on Razorbacks in rebounding (6.6 rpg), steals (1.3 spg) and 3-point percentage (.378). Beverley was also second on the team in points (12.1 ppg) and third in assists (2.4 apg) in 2007-08.

Machado (6-1, 205, Iona) averaged 1.3 points and 1.0 assists in six games with the Rockets this season. He also averaged 12.0 points, 7.1 assists and 3.3 rebounds in 11 games (nine starts) with Houston’s single-affiliation NBA D-League partner the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

6. Grigori

Grigori Member

Oh joy. Will actually get to watch Beverley now to see how good he can be.

7. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

what's his Rox jersey number?

8. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

reminds me more of Jeff Teague.

I hope he's worth letting Machado go.

9. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Can someone please help me understand why Patrick Beverly was picked up?

He's a SMALL, shoot first guard who is not the best outside shooter nor a sure penetrator in the NBA, not to mention way below average passing skills/sense/ability.

I have a lot of respect for his maturity and perseverance though. He may be worth it if some of his maturity and hard work rubs off on Royce White lol.

10. Arthurprescott2

Sounds like a good guy - hungry yet humble - looking forward to seeing him play at some point this season. Hopefully he lights up the D-Leage in the meantime.

11. just a word

just a word Member

just in case replacement for TD imo; picked up for defense.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because he is a depth upgrade over Machado. If TD goes down for any length of time, Beverley would provide similar production. Machado cannot provide the offense or the D that the Rockets would require if TD was injured or traded.

Machado is a facillitator ONLY. He could not back up TD. He needs to be the primary ball handler. That is Harden and Lin's job. When Lin or Harden do not have the ball, they can also do other things well, spot up shoot, rebound, steals, defend, finish at rim, etc. Machado is too one dimensional.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another guy who worked with Tim Grover :)

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It looks like he gets to the line a lot and his 3pt shooting% was way up this year.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

does this mean we aren't resigning douglas?

16. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

it means we re trading Douglas

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Straight to D-League. Beverly was signed to save the Vipers' season.

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Classy guy:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Patrick Beverley, to be assigned to D-League,said "I’ve been playing in Ukraine, Greece, Russia. I can play a couple hours away if need be."</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/288429085166800896" data-datetime="2013-01-07T23:37:07+00:00">January 7, 2013</a></blockquote>

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

he is taller than CP3 and his shot % have risen all last season in euroleague along with other stats. MVP MVP MVP

20. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

His game reminds me of Rodrigue Beaubois, but his character reminds of Toney Douglas. I think PB and TD will make a dynamic second unit backcourt.