1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will avg more pts? Melo or A.I.?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GotGame15, Jan 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Alright, i got into this big argument with my coworker over who is going to average more points for Denver when Carmelo comes back from suspension. So we turned it into a bet. Well the bet was really if Carmelo was going to avg MORE THAN 25 ppg or LESS THAN 25 ppg (not including the avg that he has already accumulated!). I told him that he was gonna avg MORE THAN 25 for the reason that it's really Melo's team from the beginning and AI is gonna defer more of the shots to him, also im guessing that AI is going to change his game a little and dish out more assists since he is playing the point, he doesnt have to take over games anymore unless needed. The other side of the argument is good too...but i still say avg OVER 25...now i need yalls opinion on thiss, i wanna get my money and beat thiss guyy :cool:

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

AI will be taking Earls and what was Miller's shots, not Melo's. Melo is the only one on the team that is good in the half court so he will get his shots. I think Melo's average may even go up because they can't double on him as much.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

melo's average will definitely go down.

iverson will take more shots than miller did. those shots have to come from somewhere and boykins, smith and melo will feel it.

sure, AI will try to adjust and will a little. looking to pass more and shoot less, but with the ball in his hands, as the PG, he will decide who gest what shots, and i bet he calls his own number more than people tihnk.

i'm not saying that he will become the teams leading scorer. i think melo will still be the guy, but everyone will have to make room for AI.

melo = 31ppg
    smith = 16ppg
    boykins = 15ppg

making room for AI's 26 ppg since joining the team will mean taking a few points off of all thier averages, including AI himself.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Both of their averages will be going down. You can't sustain two 30 point averages on the same team. I can appreciate the argument that Iverson will be asked to distribute more and shoot less. But, it will likely be true that offensive sets will start with the ball in Iverson's hands and it will only go to Anthony if Iverson so chooses. Iverson is in the driver's seat for shot distribution.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Melo will remain the "go to" guy on that team and will average over 25 per game. No doubt in my mind.

6. aaaa

aaaa Member

Well, even with Melo out, Iverson is not scoring as much as he was prior to the trade. When Melo is back I see Boykins scoring less, and Iverson score in the 23ish range.

7. OzRocket

OzRocket Member

Both players are known flat out scorers and in the Denver offense thats bad news for everyone else. I dont see why they cant average 25 a piece with the Denver fast break offense.

8. windfern

windfern Member

Damn, title and poll question are not consistent.

The real question there is, who's the NUMBER 1 scoring option for Denver? Clearly it's AI.

9. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

no the real question is, how are they going to play with two basketballs out on the court.

i mean thats the only way i see this relationship working

10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I doubt Melo's average going up even more his minutes will drop slightly but I do think his average will be higher than AI's and you might be right about AI taking Earl's shots/minutes. Even when Melo comes back they'll still be under Rockets at end of regular season but I want them to be above Twolves :) in fact I dont want TW to go to playoffs!!

11. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

Completely disagree. Carmelo was having an amazing season befoe he slipped back into his old ways but that won't change a thing when he returns. Carmelo can score from the outside, drive and post up. He's a big time scorer from the forward position. Iverson is not the number 1 option. I understand they are missing Smith too but Boykins has pretty much equaled his production. The Nuggetts were a better team with CA then with AI as the focal point. They will defiitely take turns but Melo is the number 1 option.