1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It's hard to take Chris Rock's cries of racism seriously when he then turns around and makes a racist joke about Asians in front of the Oscar viewing audience. In other words, he doesn't want racism to stop, he just wants stuff for blacks. He's not as interested in the principle of acceptance for all when he then makes fun of Asians like that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-diversity-but-people-hated-that-asian-joke/

If the Oscars were all about diversity, why the crude Asian joke?

It seemed we were talking about diversity about every five minutes at the Oscars.

Chris Rock opened his monologue by saying he’d never be the host if he had to be nominated for the job. We all got the joke — Chris Rock is black, and for the second year in the row, not a single actor nominated for an Oscar was black.

But they also weren’t Asian or Latino. Representation is a problem in Hollywood for all minorities, but all night long, the show’s jokes focused almost entirely on the problem as it pertains to black people.

During a sketch in which Rock altered top movies to include actors of color, he chose Whoopi Goldberg, Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan. Stacey Dash wished everyone a happy Black History Month. Kevin Hart joked, wasn’t it about time they put him in the front row?

There was a lack of diversity in the lack of diversity. This became most apparent when Rock brought three Asian children to the stage, posing as “bankers” from finance firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.

“They sent us their most dedicated, accurate and hard working representatives,” he said. “Please welcome Ming Zhu, Bao Ling and David Moskowitz.”

[​IMG]

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He made fun of everybody. That's what he does. It's called comedy.

3. bigtexxx

Oh hell no.

Sorry but using Asian kids as a prop to promote a stereotype is very ugly. Especially on a night when his point was to encourage diversity and opportunities for others. Hypocrisy.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Can someone point me to Chris Rock's "cries of racism"?

I don't remember him getting all caught up in the controversy, especially after agreeing to host the show.

5. bigtexxx

He called the Oscars racist "in a sorority kind of way". Watch the opening speech.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

BTW, The kids where supposed to represent two asians and a jew.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That is better because...? :confused:

I like Chris Rock, though. I think he's funny. Can't believe he is 51 already.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It seems like grasping at straws say that making a racial joke (i.e. Asians are hardworking) invalidates someone's very credible observation of a much more serious racially oriented problem (e.g. exclusionary hiring practices).

I assume Rock also made jokes about Hollywood's diversity problem as well.

Like, I get it, they're both racial in nature. But to say they overlap in pretty much any other way is silly.

If Rock made a joke about homelessness of Native Americans or something, then yeah, it's hard to be like "LOL @ the indians but yeah we gotta get more black ppl in Hollywood."

9. REEKO_HTOWN

It's not about better it's about Rock not singling out anyone. He makes fun of everyone because...he's a comedian.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Says a lot that after all the diversity tweets tonight, Chris Rock's Asian jokes come and go with virtually no notice on here. Depressing.</p>&mdash; Alex Burns (@alexburnsNYT) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/704152095469993984">February 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

This is my reaction to the reaction to the public's reaction.

Hypocrisy.

Huffpo!

Bigtexxx.

Repeat.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's fair to say though that the Oscars were ALL about lack of diversity with regard to black people, but the fact that Asians were equally underrepresented was pretty much ignored, relatively speaking. Not targeting Chris Rock in general with that remark, just the whole show.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It is racist, but it's sorority racist. "Stereotyping" creates a pigeon-holed image of a group of individuals and it may send the message, in this case regarding accountants, that only asians and jews are fit for the accounting profession. Isn't that what JPS argued against: that having an all white (non-black) Oscars discourages non-whites?

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He also did a whole sketch interviewing making fun of black people that don't know **** about movies.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Pretty sure they were showing that the movies loved at the oscars are irrelevant in the black community.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I was surprised he focused so much on blacks rather than minorities in general, especially when the numbers say black under representation in Hollywood is barely even a thing when compared to Asians and Hispanics.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

I saw three Oscars go to Hispanics last night.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised people are surprised about this. It's Chris Rock.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Ignore who the OP is.

This is a valid point worth discussing. I don't buy into the idea that Rock as a black man has any responsibility to stick up for other underrepresented minorities, but to use your hosting gig as a platform to decry racism, and then dedicate 40 seconds to a lazy and racist bit about Asians is absolutely hypocritical and worthy of criticism.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The blacks and jews have terrible terrible histories so the entire world NOW overcompensates in it's anti-racism, anti-bigotry, leaving out every other minority group who suffers the same problems (sometimes worst) of TODAY. The "other" minorities don't have that card to play which is great but it seems to hurt because it doesn't give them a voice, a seat at the table so to speak.