1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen]Van Gundy would like to coach Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 22, 2016.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can't find a single definitive mention of a Van Gundy interview with the Rockets.

The closest thing is a bunch of articles throwing JVG in with other potential candidates.

The only direct mention of the Rockets having interest in JVG was the Woj article from just after game 1 in the playoffs.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you haven't noticed the playoffs are actually going on and he does have a job to do at the moment as far as traveling.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Luke Walton landed a job while his team was in the playoffs. It's not that complicated.

Yikes!! I guess Lionel Hollins might be my top choice there... but I have no clue. They all seem to be less than inspiring choices. I think about it more and Hollins makes me want to puke. But I can say the same about all of them if I look at certain aspects of their coaching. Pick a name out of a hat from that group, and it won't really matter one way or the other.

If I REALLY think about it, I guess David Blatt, and hope he's learned and that Harden can respect him.

Well it doesn't seem like Walton (would always take the Lakers job first) or Thibs (as you note, TWolves a better option) would have been real candidates. And I'm not sold on Brooks. So you're probably right. I'd have loved the chance to at least interview Kenny Atkinson...

I get it from the Rockets perspective. They don't seem inclined on hiring a top assistant anyway. They want a "name" coach, per the list above. And no one else is rushing out to hire any of the remaining guys (because as I note, it's not that great a list)... so you're right, if the perspective is "we have plenty of time to choose from one of these crappy coaches"... no need to rush!! ... oh god.

#263 JayZ750, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. blackistan

blackistan Member

I think we should go after Vogel if he gets let go by Indiana

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's possible any established head coach like JVG or Vogel(assuming he's let go) will wait before committing to the Rockets job. Until early-to-mid July, there's no way to know what kind of roster they'll be working with. If Morey and Les get rejected by all the 1st and 2nd tier free agents, we could be looking at a multiyear rebuild(or a bunch of 40-45 win seasons with Harden and a mediocre supporting cast).

Would JVG really wanna sign onto that? And since he can't know what he's signing onto until free agency gets underway, why not just bide his time? If Morey and Les insist on going forward and hiring someone else, so be it. JVG already has a cushy job he seems to like.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

luke walton's team has been off for several days by waxing an opponent in the first round. theres a difference.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Walton's team was off a similar amount of time as JVG has had in between assignments.

but it makes sense he'd be interviewing this week. I think he did a game on the 24th, then not till the 29th... but the Rockets hadn't lost yet game 5 until the 27th, so nto enough time for JVG before his game on the 29th. Then he did a game on Sunday, too. But I think he's off most of this week, as TNT has most of the games until Thursday/Friday.

So if he's going to be interviewed, it should be this week.

8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

If any coach were to employ this method, they wouldn't be worth hiring. Why wouldn't a coach want the opportunity to make a pitch to impending FAs? Do they really think waiting will benefit a team? Nobody would sign with us if we didn't have a coach, so I'm not sure what the coach would accomplish by "biding his time". Idiotic.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm not saying we won't have a coach by July. Les and Morey will hire someone. What I'm saying is I don't know what incentive JVG has to take over this current Rockets team. Assuming Dwight is gone, this is not a very good roster and we have no first round draft and almost no tradeable assets.

10. htown1984

htown1984 Member

morey always has tradeable options :)

11. rockets13champs

What can we get for
    Brewer
    Ariza
    Tjones
    U need to get assets
    Cavs would give us maybe 2 2nds maybe just their 1st for brewer and for ariza cavs would give us some sort of young talent with a 1st rounder
    Toronto would love to get brewer, indy bird is crazy, kings if they hire mchale, bucks etc. my best bet would be to send brewer to kings for 2 2nd rounders.

12. i3artow i3aller

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Not like Morey has anything else to do beside finding a new head coach. Why can't he fly to where JVG is for interview? He fly to free agent house to recruit. Why not for coach too? I just think there is bad blood between the two and Morey is trying as hard as possible to avoid JVG.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh he doesn't ok. i guess he doesn't have a number of coaches lined up to be interviewed or interested in the vacant position. people just love to make up stuff around here

15. bmd

bmd Member

Nobody here knows where Morey and Van Gundy are.

People act like if it hasn't been reported then it hasn't happened.

Morey and Van Gundy could be meeting in a secret bunker in Rwanda right this minute for all we know.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Here's the entrance:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I do recall Van Gundy mentioning being an assistant. Meh, it doesn't matter. As long as he is able to coach this team.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bovada Las Vegas has odds for the next Houston Rockets coach:<br>Jeff Van Gundy 3/2<br>Frank... <a href="https://t.co/wwaPx6Ebme">https://t.co/wwaPx6Ebme</a></p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/728675657098481664">May 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bovada Las Vegas has odds for the next Houston Rockets coach: Jeff Van Gundy 3/2 Frank Vogel 7/2 Mike D'Antoni 4/1 Kenny Smith 17/2 Sam Cassell 11/1 Jeff Hornacek 16/1 Chris Finch 18/1 Stephen Silas 18/1 Bill Self 25/1 Shaka Smart 25/1

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Anyone but D'Antoni. If you thought the defense was bad now...

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

D'Antoni for head coach
    Lionel Hollins for lead assistant